Cant stop the Rock - Update 26/12/12

Razblood

Hey there :)

Just got Dark Vengeance for Christmas and so thought I'd put a placeholder here for the painting of the DA side of things.

I hope to enter the Path of Redemption for January, which I'll have to work around looking for a new job :HQ:

Pic/s of my test Green will be up tomorrow at some point, but in the meantime I would just like to mention that in expectation of painting some DA I also requested some Coat D'Arms Angel Green for Christmas and having now used it I pretty much have to recommend it!

It covers really nicely and doesn't have the glossiness of the last version of DA Green, but is still not as matte as Caliban Green. Being that it is pretty much the original DA Green in another pot it is absolutely perfect for the armour of the sons of the Lion, giving you Dark Angels with a capital Dark ;)

Here's an example of my original DA test scheme using Orkhide Shade as a base.

gallery_39897_5762_318911.jpg

The new test scheme with Angel Green is similar to the green below as the base is considerably darker, which I must admit I prefer.

sm.php?b62c=@h7unX_hyvFn.i0mK6@@@@@@@hJ9Lc@_@@..@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@_hauke@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iakk7&

I need to mess about with the highlights a bit more and possibly think about a glaze, but I'll wait till after I post up the pic/s and get some opinions.

Back soon.

Thanks for the comment ;)

The only problem with the original test scheme was that it was very involved and I wouldn't want to do that across a whole army ;)

Here's the prototype new Green on an actual model.

gallery_39897_5762_1715569.jpg

All it needs is a glaze of Green Ink to bring some richness back after the special DA Wash I've mixed up goes on.

Opinions welcome :)

I think the only problem with inks and glazes is that the make the mini shine far too much.

True, I use inks somewhat but I kill shine with Citadel's Lahmian Medium with inks. It works well to kill shine, attach those annoying water transfers and bind weathering stuff. Glaze is annoying if use it too much then it shines but matte varnish spray usually helps with that.

I think the only problem with inks and glazes is that the make the mini shine far too much.

True, I use inks somewhat but I kill shine with Citadel's Lahmian Medium with inks. It works well to kill shine, attach those annoying water transfers and bind weathering stuff. Glaze is annoying if use it too much then it shines but matte varnish spray usually helps with that.

Good I have some "cheap" matte varnish that I still need to test.

I mix a little Vallejo Matt Varnish into my ink glazes and find that it takes most of the shine out :lol:

The first test scheme was glazed with old GW Green Ink using this process and it didn't come out too bad.

Cheers for the comments guys :D

Takanakuy I'm liking the near-black DA very much ^_^.

Cheers

I

Takanakuy? Actually looked it up - For when you just gotta have blood on the dancefloor :)

Glad you like the Green, I'm aiming for a bit of an old school vibe with my DA circa early 90's when DA Armour was very dark Green :)

Brief update to report,

Here are some PIP pics of the Tactical Sgt. from DV.

gallery_39897_5762_807859.jpg

gallery_39897_5762_1076801.jpg

Basecoats only so far and here's a rundown :)

Primer - Black Gesso

Armour - 1 coat of Coat D'Arms Angel Green

Soft Armour & Metal areas - P3 Pig Iron washed with 1 coat of Coat D'Arms Super Wash Black (Awesome stuff!)

Gold areas - 1 coat Coat D'Arms Bright Gold (Mistook this for their version of Shining Gold, but it's very different)

Belt and sword-grip - Calthan Brown

Rope, Purity seal, Skin - Khemri Brown

Took me about 45 minutes to get to this stage from Primer, and boy am I glad I hadn't glued anything yet :P

I'll try and finish him up tomorrow and get some pics up.

I'm currently thinking of going dark Red for the Chapter badge and Black for the robes to reinforce the "Dark" theme I'm going for, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Opinions welcomed ;)

Takanakuy I'm liking the near-black DA very much :yes:.

Cheers

I

Takanakuy? Actually looked it up - For when you just gotta have blood on the dancefloor :lol:

Oooppss yes I meant 'Razblood' of course. I looked Takanakuy up too, hence the copy/paste error :jaw:. A bit too much christmas cheer and not enough concentrating :P.

Cheers

I

Path to redemption has begun for me and here's what I'm putting up as my first vow.

gallery_39897_5762_1193754.jpg

Already got all the metals done and the first coat of Green on one of the Tacticals as well as what I've already done on the Sgt., so let's hope I can keep up this pace :P

Well my first vow is done and to avoid further duplication the results can be found here - PtR thread post 1063 or here - My WIP Blog post 219.

All furhter updates will be made to my WIP blog in order to reduce the amount of duplicate posts or in the Path to Redemption thread until at least the end of Feb.

Anyways, let me know what you think :cuss

Archived