Why do you like the Dark Angels

Justcar

Because they're the only Legiones Astartes still around. :P

I think you forgot about the Space wolves, who still act the same way they did in the 31st millenium...

I dont remember any mutants been in the Legions Astartes back then :nuke:

Sorry wolfies you know I love you no matter what :D

Saga of the Weregeld, and the Raven Guard's little secret that only the space puppies know about (mutants created due to acceleated geneseed growth/maturing to rebuild post-Istvaan).

Ah allright, sorry for my miss-information brother.

After 20 yrs, it's still the fluff even with some of the retcons. It's all about the story. I can't play any others either for some reason, tried many times start and always wind up selling the pieces.

Edited for content.

Well, heck, the name "Dark Angels" is cool. The original black w/red chapter symbol was cool. The evolving fluff is cool: dark of mien, secretive, a more personal level of tragic betrayal within the Legion (father betrays son; not the other way around), untrusting of outsiders ("outsiders" meaning everyone else), the purity of their geneseed, the Inquisition sniffing about, the whole Fallen/Cypher thing, the Lion still lives, Luther the Betrayer still lives, the epic and catastrophic destruction of Caliban, the Rock, Space Marine monks in robes- with censors and everything, the Ravenwing (which very much outshines the sons of the Khan so far as fluff is concerned; yeah, the White Scars really need some more fluff love to be sure), the Deathwing (too many things that are cool about them to mention), Interrogator-Chaplains, Azrael (former headhunting savage- become- Chapter Master, Grandmaster of Librarians "Oh just stick that piece of crap bionic eye in my head so I can get back to killing orks already!" Ezekiel, Sapphon the war Chaplain, Asmodai and his fun little collection of dental tools, the sacrifice of Naaman, Belial and Storm of Vengeance...

As you can see, there is quite a lot to like about the Dark Angels, and while that is much of what is cool about the ark Angels, I didn't even mention everything.

Because they're the only Legiones Astartes still around. :P

I think you forgot about the Space wolves, who still act the same way they did in the 31st millenium...

I dont remember any mutants been in the Legions Astartes back then -_-

Sorry wolfies you know I love you no matter what :D

Mutants? If you mean the wulfen, they existed in the 31st millenium. Or do you mean something else?

I mean after they found Leman and the werewolf thingy started acting up. I am pretty sure when their legion was built on terra there were no wolfen or canine helix or fangs or anything. The whole chapter are mutants.

shabbadoo consider the dental tools bit stolen!

I mean after they found Leman and the werewolf thingy started acting up. I am pretty sure when their legion was built on terra there were no wolfen or canine helix or fangs or anything. The whole chapter are mutants.

shabbadoo consider the dental tools bit stolen!

It takes a bit for genetic diseases to show up... I mean the canine teeth thing only shows up in the oldest marines and the first one that had it was a Terran.... (according to Prospero Burns)

the Space Wolves [Vlka Fenryka] did have the Canis Helix and a certain amount of 'canine genus' this is simply because the emperor was the one that put these traits into the Legion and more importantly into Lemas Russ himself, it's been speculated that the climate and closeness of Russ caused this to become a greater part of their genome, however all 'Space Wolves' have their primarchs genes and therefore those of a wolf ergo. technically speaking the ONLY mutant space marines barring for those actually corrupted by chaos are Sanguinius and the Thousand Sons (who literally sprout feathers and become spawn) - now I can't remember for the life of me the actual thread this was discussed in - I believe it's one called Space Wolves or certainly something similar in the Horus Heresy Sub-Forum.

back on topic though gents/ladies.

Robed marines. And the chance to do 3 different painting schemes and be the same army.

Seconded. This was always the reason i liked them as well. The dark evil secret stuff always isnt so intersting to me now but the emo style of it probably got me interested in the 90s.

I like DA because they remind me so much of the RT-era. The warrior-monk thing is really emphasized. They were the chapter that made the biggest impression on me - they showed up a lot more in bat reps, articles, etc back then.

Another reason is the lack of DA players over all that time...I've fought and in fact seen only one DA army in 25 years. Nobody at our gaming club seems interested I starting them now.....despite our up coming Tale of Wargamers being over 80% marines so far.

I like the wings, sword and angel motifs. The robes give them a very different look that really suits the Imperium

When I first started this game a friend and I sat down and started looking at all the Codexs in our FLGS, they have a bunch of "Demo" codices out for people to take a look through them. It wasn't a busy day and they said yeah we could take them to a table.

Me: These Space Wolves look cool!

Friend: Yeah but other Phil plays them. (We're the type of group where we don't mind people playing the same thing, but I didn't want to step on anyone's toes since I was new to the game. So I didn't want to play an army someone else was playing)

Me: Oh, well how about Tau? Does any play them?

Friend: Yeah Dave does.

Me: Dark Angels? These guys sound really awesome, anyone play them?

Friend, takes the codex from me and starts looking through it: Not that I know of. Holy crap, you can have any army of terminators?

Me: That sounds awesome, I'm doing Dark Angels then. What's a terminator?

And that is how I started my long path of loving the Dark Angels and playing mostly Deathwing. I haven't regretted it since. And every time I pick up another codex and want to start an army with them, I get this twinge of guilt that I'm cheating on the DA. :rolleyes:

The warrior monk aspect, robed marines, the fluff...the Lion.

But mostly? The Deathwing. Terminators always appealed to me, Deathwing terminators even more so.

I cannot wait to get started with my pre and post heresy Da armies... Deathwing terminators standing next to Cataphractii terminators in my figure cabinet. Pre and post Marines... and ravenwing next to... oh..uhm... Jetbikes next to bikes! :rolleyes:

Meh. We werent a Legion until we (the players) acted as one in the Eye of Terror summer campaign. That woke up the writers and we have been portrayed that way ever since.

No kidding. The DA owned the Eye of Terror campaign like no other. Yet another cool thing about the Dark Angels and successors- unity of purpose. :D

Friend, takes the codex from me and starts looking through it: Not that I know of. Holy crap, you can have any army of terminators?

Me: That sounds awesome, I'm doing Dark Angels then. What's a terminator?

Well, that's close to me... Space Marine (Epic 2nd edition)

Hey! I can play a whole company of Terminators with special rules?... Cool!

My original reason, 16 years ago, was that they had the most bad-arse colour scheme. This was later amended when I picked up a White Dwarf with Gav playing the DA vs. Space Orks and fielding a unit of Deathwing. I then realized they had the most bad-arse colour scheme and that I would have piles of them.

As time went on I came to love the background in all of its lengthy, patchwork glory. I loved the old RT-era stuff that painted a varied and odd picture of us and the more set Arthurian-legend 2nd Edition stuff. I love the colour-palettes they used. I loved being able to stick to one army but get a load of different paint schemes. I loved looking at all the big 2nd Edition panoramas and seeing all the heraldry and colour on there. To me the Dark Angels felt like they hit all the core bits of 40k. That's why I have never branched out to another army since I started playing.

It was the Space Hulk expansion Deathwing that got me hooked - they're undeniably badass. Then Codex: Angels of Death came along so I started my first space marine army. After that it was simply loyalty to my chosen chapter. The secrecy, the robes, the gothic styling, one of the few Primarchs who could match Horus for success, these all help but the Deathwing are still the core of my obsession.

I've been familiar with WH40k for awhile now and the fiction of the Dark Angels always drew me in. The secrecy, the elite 1st and 2nd companies and the great succeeding chapters make the Dark Angels very interesting. So interesting in fact I'm building my own army soon.

Archived