My Librarium Painting Challenge 2013 WIP- Asterion Moloc

Peredyne

I decided to enter my Asterion Moloc for the LPC this year. Now as expensive as this kit is (with shipping, 50.00 for 2 miniatures. One in Terminator Armor, the other in Power Armor) I decided I wanted to get the most out of it as I could. My original plan was to just magnetize the right hand so I could swap out his Power Spear for a Thunder Hammer and also use him as a Counts-as Lysander. Well, when I was cleaning the flash and tabs off and fitting the pieces, it occurred to me that I could magnetize the Storm Shield hand as well and swap other gear as well. I already had the Tartaros Terminator upgrade kit from Forgeworld to do the Lysander conversion, so I went ahead and magnetized the Power Axe, Power Maul, and one of the Combi-weapons. I tried to magnetize the combi part as well, but that proved to be far more trouble than it was worth so I just went ahead and built him with the Combi-flamer option. I have a second Combi-weapon, so I'm probably going to build and magnetize the Combi-plasma as well. I managed to get Asterion Moloc, Lysander and a Generic Captain out of the kit.

I used 1/16" x 1/32" rare earth magnets for the wrists and weapons.

gallery_219_7989_861434.jpg

• 1 month later...

An update to my project. This mini has been primed for a few weeks, but I was waiting for the boards to get back to normal.

gallery_219_7989_21221.jpg

gallery_219_7989_32486.jpg

gallery_219_7989_5839.jpg

gallery_219_7989_21272.jpg

As you can see, the primer coat and basing have been finished. I used Krylons camouflage Fusion (khaki) for the primer. The basing was done with one piece from the Asterion Moloc Kit to support his left foot, a Mk6 helmet piece from the GW 40K basing kit, and Liquitex Resin Sand to pull it all together. As you can see in the pics, the magnetization worked a dream on this model. The magnets are strong enough to support the weapons, but not so strong as to damage anything when the weapons get swapped.

So I have placed the basecoat of bronze on the mini and done some detailing using metallic green and scab red and a first highlight of bronze and silver. Pics coming later!

Looking forward to seeing them! The alternate arms on Moloch will be interesting to see on him!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived