Kor'Sarro Khan and Moondrakken

skeletoro

Just checking - has this been updated anywhere since 6th? I can't see anything in the FAQ about it, but as far as I can tell, it's almost useless.

"Can run:" Perhaps this could be used to allow Kor'Sarro to Turbo-boost AND Run? 12, 12, 2d6 take the highest? Interesting.

Also, his charge is now a bit better, at 3d6 take the 2 highest.

But, he doesn't pass any of this on to any bike unit he joins, does he?

No mention of Moondraken in the FAQ at all...

Page 45 explicitly say that Bikes cannot run, I'd say that overrides Moondraken's rules.

He won't pass on Fleet to his unit, so he'll need to be on his own to take advantage of it.

Page 45 explicitly say that Bikes cannot run, I'd say that overrides Moondraken's rules.

He won't pass on Fleet to his unit, so he'll need to be on his own to take advantage of it.

How can the bike not run when a CODEX gives it the rule to be able to...

How can the bike not run when a CODEX gives it the rule to be able to...

"
Run

In their Shooting phase, units may choose to Run instead of firing.

Models in the unit may then immediately move up to that distance in inches.

Units that Run in the Shooting phase cannot charge in the following Assault phase.
", BRB,
Pg

"
Turbo-boost

Bikes and Jetbikes cannot Run, but can make a special Turbo-boost move, instead of firingin their Shooting phase.

Bikes and Jetbikes therefore cannot shoot, charge or execute any other voluntary action for the rest of the turn after Turbo-boosting.
", BRB,
Pg

"
Moondrakken

If riding Moondrakkan, Kor'sarro Khan has the ability to run in the Shooting phase and has the fleet special rule (see the rulebook for details).
", C:SM, 94

"
Basic versus Advanced

On rare occasions, a conflict will arise between a rule in this rulebook, and one printed in a codex. Where this occurs, the rule printed in the codex always takes precedence
", BRB,
Pg

So Khan on Moondrakken can Move 12"(Movement phase), Turbo-boost 12"(Shooting phase), and then perform no other voluntary actions.

Or Khan on Moondrakken can Move 12"(Movement phase), Run d6" re-rolled due to Fleet(Shooting phase), and can not Assault.

In either case, Khan can't Charge after getting his extra movement and he can't benefit from both as it's one or the other. So, while he can Run (per Codex > Rulebook), there is no point I can see to him doing so (unless there is some voluntary action he can take in the Shooting or Assault phases which can be combined with a Run).

{snip}and he can't benefit from both as it's one or the other. {snip}

I just want to add a little clarity here.

In order to run you have to give up shooting.

In order to turbo-boost, you have to give up shooting.

There is only one shooting phase to give up. So ... you can only do one or the other.

Hmm, does the relentless rule allow units to assault after running? I know it allows you too assault after shooting, and bikes make a character relentless, so they can assault after shooting their guns, and If it applies to being able to assault after running then khan could still assault after making a run move due to relentless. My book is packed up somewhere at the moment so I can't check the wording.

Hmm, does the relentless rule allow units to assault after running? I know it allows you too assault after shooting, and bikes make a character relentless, so they can assault after shooting their guns, and If it applies to being able to assault after running then khan could still assault after making a run move due to relentless. My book is packed up somewhere at the moment so I can't check the wording.

No it does not.

Moondrakken's rules are simply outdated. Under 5th they would have allowed either:

- move, run, charge (run and fleet)

- move, turbo-boost (bikes)

- move, shoot, charge (relentless)

In 6th the run move is reduntant for moondrakken, as you can no longer charge after running.

Fleet however does still have one advantange - may re-roll charge distance (so long as Khan is

on his own, as it isn't transferrable to his unit)

The only other advantage is the "bikes as troops" FoC modifier (although a bike captain would

be a cheaper (and potentially better) option.

Laterz...

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm! RAW, Khan can actually join a unit of thunderwolves (though a thunder lord couldn't join a bike squad - go figure!) His fleet rule would actually be quite useful there, and he'd make the thunder wolves strength 6 rending, also granting them hit and run... not too shabby if you ask me!

Right, but if a single non-fleet model joins a fleet unit, the whole unit loses fleet. Fleet only applies to units entirely composed of fleet models. Kor'Sarro might be the only biker that can join thunderwolves without killing their fleet?

It's not a huge deal, but it's SOMETHING, at least.

Hmm! RAW, Khan can actually join a unit of thunderwolves (though a thunder lord couldn't join a bike squad - go figure!) His fleet rule would actually be quite useful there, and he'd make the thunder wolves strength 6 rending, also granting them hit and run... not too shabby if you ask me!

Not just that, but he also has Outflank - which now only requires one model in the unit!

- No loss of Fleet

- +1S on the Charge

- Hit and Run

- Outflank

Yeah, that's quite nice! Though I'm not sure I'd give outflank to the TWC (due to not being able to charge the turn they arrive). I would, most likely, give outflank to the SM bikers +MM & 2*M that I'd taken as the compulsory troops choice.

I do have to wonder though... what percentage of players would consider me a douchebaggy rules-lawyer for pairing an IC on a bike with a unit of TWC? It seems 100% legit, RAW, and it really wouldn't be hard for GW to errata it if they wanted to. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine it actually being RAI (Why would ICs on wolves not be allowed to join other units, yet ICs can join units of wolves? Seems weird to me! Maybe it's because ICs are better able to assert their dominance over the thunderwolf squad or something?). On the third hand (I must be a tyranid or a walker), I think the proscription against mixing the units is from a fluff standpoint kinda silly to me anyway. Wolves are pack animals, and if they're being ridden, they must have been socialized in some way, right?

All in all, I don't have a big problem with mixing the units while RAW stays as it is, but would definitely have a bad taste in my mouth if my opponents felt cheated in any way.

I do think Kor'Sarro could have an interesting existence as a custom-built Thunderlord. Kor'Sarro Deathwolf maybe? :D

I do think Kor'Sarro could have an interesting existence as a custom-built Thunderlord. Kor'Sarro Deathwolf maybe? biggrin.png

I'm imagining something akin to the bike on the cover of Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell album - with a big old wolf skull between the handlebars and a wolf pelt draped over the fuel cell and saddle.

Archived