"Official" Variations on Deathwing Colors?

Ba5eball

Has anyone seen an "official" variation on the Deathwing colors? I kind of want to paint my LPC DW something different, maybe black and bone or green and bone, maybe just black.

I think pre heresy is black but I'm going with the current armor type so I don't want to mix current armor with past colors.

If all else fails, maybe I'll have a DW squad from a successor, suggestions for that too would be welcome.

Well, depending on what version you take, the DW plains world story had it that only 30 suits changed colour, iirc.

That should still leave 70-ish suits in old-style black.

No idea if they got squads with mixed-colour suits, though.

Other than that, successors.

The "official" Deathwing colors could always have been bone/white, or at one point in the past, the original black. It all depends on how you view the fluff. If you go with the DA 4th Ed Codex, where the Plains World incident is a legend (and therefore unverifiable as to its actual happening), then the DW color may have been bone/white ever since the color change after the Legion was split up, or if you so choose, the DW may have retained the original black color until a more recent change. If you believe/feel/want the Plains World event to have truly occurred, then "officially" the DW were solid black until that event occurred, then afterward would have been white/ash white/grey (ash white over black typically appears light grey and likely mottled, depending on how well and thickly the ashes were applied) or bone.

They really are your models and will be accepted as you say they are. All the Terminator armors are "modern" honestly, there's just fewer suits of Cataphractii or Tartaros around because the tech to even repair them is going away. You can still get away with having some in a Dark Angels set up or even any Unforgiven (especially the Consecrators).

If you want the latest "official" word, we'll have to wait until the new Codex to see what the latest fluff says.

A guy at my local game store painted his Dark Angels green and purple - including his Terminators. As a fluff adherent, I thought it was odd but I am not the person to raise a stink over it. Turned out, when he painted them, he did not know how to paint bone using bleached bone and chestnut wash (his method of painting).

There was a time, during the Great Crusade...

Where the Legion would paint their armor in a camoflage patterns depending upon the environment that they were fighting in.

So you could always go that route.

That is how my successor chapter The Desert Angels are painted in a Desert scheme.

The Bone/White fits with that scheme, so I did not change it.

However, you could go with a Jungle Campaign Paint scheme, and have Green/Earth toned terminators...

additional question! how would you paint the terminators for the guardians of the covenant?

Here's my take on the Guardians of the Covenant terminator scheme :P

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/1st%20Company/IMG_0756.jpg

additional question! how would you paint the terminators for the guardians of the covenant?

Here's my take on the Guardians of the Covenant terminator scheme :HQ:

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/1st%20Company/IMG_0756.jpg

Sweet!! I was looking for something like that, thanks!

defiantly will be checking out your blog!

Grettins Battle Brothers,

@Ba5eball; really yo can pain as you want, are yours miniatures!

I think, Preheresy all in black. After... Dark angels had first his Deathwing in black and after turn bleached bone. When? we don´t know exactly. Probably after 38M, or who know.

But for succesor chapter we an asume they choice the same colour for all his troops.

This is from the good old days of Rogue Trader....

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111130005845/warhammer40k/images/thumb/3/3e/Pre-Deathwing_Terminator.jpg/240px-Pre-Deathwing_Terminator.jpg

Man I like that! Something to think about for Consecrators. What's the story behind the markings on the chainfist?

There is no "official" variation. But deathwing have changed a bit depending on who is painting them. They're always bleached bone, but can have red/green/black detailing (including storm bolter). You can make them part of a successor chapter as well. But if you want a strictly DA force, they should be bleached bone.

Unlike every other army in 40k, the deathwing actually have a real reason for their color scheme.

40k in RT and 2nd Edition loved checker patterns and primary colours. That is pretty much the story behind any and all colour choices in those days. :D

I've always loved that paint scheme as well.

Well, the white circle with the black ^ thingy might be to indicate the user has a chainfist.

Although such markings usually went on the shoulder pad.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Onisuzume/Dark%20Angels/CrimsonFists01c.jpg

As for that image, the part about those implant studs is incorrect, these days its per 100-years of service, not 10 years.

This is from the good old days of Rogue Trader....

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111130005845/warhammer40k/images/thumb/3/3e/Pre-Deathwing_Terminator.jpg/240px-Pre-Deathwing_Terminator.jpg

Man I like that! Something to think about for Consecrators. What's the story behind the markings on the chainfist?

Yeah, back in RT days they had a thing for Checker patterns, they are on everything it seems from then.... The symbol is noting Chainfist. In my WIP there is a pic of an assault squad I did. The Vet Sgt. has a symbol on his Powerfist. The symbol on it is for Power Fist/Glove from RT days. It's gonna be a thing I am going to be doing along with rank markings too from RT days for my Pre/heresy DA army. It's a nice little combination of old RT and current P/HH fluff and all. Lqtm

A lot of the weapon symbols went on the shoulder pad but for the TDA they put it on the weapon itself. I decided to leave it that way for the PFist on the AS Vet Sgt as it just seemed to fit better with how the whole thing looked how it did with TDA so I kept it that way and plan to do the same for any other weapons like that that would have been on a TDA.

Archived