A new start

Spaced Hulk

Well, after years (literally years :lol: ) of lurking on the forum and looking in awe at pictures of other peoples minis, I've finally managed to take some photo's of my own. I had intended to wait until the new codex is released before re-starting my Dark Angels, but the combination of all the new rumours and plenty of time off work over Christmas proved too much of a temptation.

I'll apologise now for the pics, they're pretty much my first attempt at photographing miniatures and I'm sure it shows. I also know there's plenty of mold lines and general tidying up that need some attention.

First up is my new, scratch built Chaplain:

gallery_917_7993_466812.jpg

Must admit, I built him based on some of the earlier rumours about multiple Elite choice Chaplains, so it's yet to be seen how useable he'll actually be. I've also got several of GWs metal Chaplain models (which I love) that I picked up before they changed to finecast, so he'll have some competition for a place in an army list. I like him though. And yes, the crozius is bigger than his own head ;)

Next up, a plasma gunner:

gallery_917_7993_318349.jpg

He'll probably be part of a company veteran squad at some point. The thing sticking to the side of the gun is actually a purity seal.

Melta gunner:

gallery_917_7993_135461.jpg

Basic marine apart from the censor and the helmet wings. And how on earth did I mss the mold line on the gun! :P

Tactical Squad Leader:

gallery_917_7993_982143.jpg

Tactical Squad Sergeant:

gallery_917_7993_909043.jpg

gallery_917_7993_957885.jpg

On this pic you can just make out the death's head on his right shoulder pad. It's actually a Chaos Marine pad I'm using as his own personal heraldry.

Not sure about this next bloke yet. He'll either be a Company Veteran or an Assault Squad Srg:

gallery_917_7993_137794.jpg

gallery_917_7993_910683.jpg

gallery_917_7993_832078.jpg

And finally my new Company Master, the commander of the 8th Assault Company:

gallery_917_7993_1193491.jpg

gallery_917_7993_989998.jpg

gallery_917_7993_400356.jpg

The wreath on his right shoulder pad is meant to represent his Iron Halo. I've deliberately left the Blood Angels chalice iconography to represent the Cup of Retribution. When I write the Master's background I'll be including some reference to the Feast of Malediction.

gallery_917_7993_1051832.jpg

gallery_917_7993_862610.jpg

gallery_917_7993_165267.jpg

Gratuitous shot from below to display the iconography on his shins. These were actually Blood Angels legs that I shaved the blood drop off and replaced with very tiny swords. Extremely fiddly to do but I'm quite pleased how they turned out.

There you go. Hope you like them and any comments and criticism will be appreciated. Hopefully it won't take me quite so long to post some more :)

This is an Awesome start. Every model seems to have so much character!

The ones I like the most are the Chaplain and the duel plasma pistol. As a model the Company master looks amazing but my own preference is that I'm not a fan of wings on Dark Angels. Don't let this put you off though as I'm probably in the minority and as said he does look amazing.

I know you said you still had to tidy a lot up like the mould lines but don't forget the weapon barrels as it makes a big difference.

Can't wait to see these painted! I will be watching this thread with great interest!

Thanks guys, glad you liked them! :D

Not sure at the moment whether to paint them as Dark Angels, Disciples of Caliban or Angels of Vengeance. Will probably wait until the new codex is out before making the decision. It's been a long time since I did any painting (always been the part of the hobby I've struggled most with) so whichever scheme I choose, I'll be practicing on some normal tactical marines first.

Those are some ebrilant dynamic poses. Nice work Spaced Hulk. The chaplain is excellent.Doesn''t matter what successor chapter you choose to paint them as..just remember two things:

Path to Redemption

Librarium Painting Challenge 2013

:lol:

Looking forward to more great poses.

SG

Those are some ebrilant dynamic poses. Nice work Spaced Hulk. The chaplain is excellent.Doesn''t matter what successor chapter you choose to paint them as..just remember two things:

Path to Redemption

Librarium Painting Challenge 2013

:lol:

Looking forward to more great poses.

SG

Cheers SG! :tu:

I'm a little bit hesitant to commit to the painting challenges, both because of real life commitments (got a busy few months ahead, getting married at Easter and currently in the process of building a house as well) and my own lack of painting ability. Will think about it though, might give me the motivation to actually finish an army for once! :)

Despite having a killer hangover most of the day, I have managed to take a few more pics. Once again, they aren't brilliant photo's and all the models need more work & tidying up:

First of all, a Srg for my second Tactical Squad.

gallery_917_7993_878453.jpg

gallery_917_7993_97495.jpg

He'll be replacing the Srg from the Dark Vengeance Tac squad, who I intend to convert into a Company Veteran Gunslinger.

These next 4 are hopefully (new codex permitting :tu: ) going to be a command squad for my company master. I've got the parts for an Apothecary ready to join them in the near future as well.

gallery_917_7993_951200.jpg

gallery_917_7993_795054.jpg

gallery_917_7993_47530.jpg

gallery_917_7993_904007.jpg

gallery_917_7993_822126.jpg

gallery_917_7993_108749.jpg

Hope you like them. And Happy New Year everybody! :(

• 5 weeks later...

Greeting all, it's update time. Still no painting I'm afraid, but the new codex has inspired me to keep building new models. Mainly an assortment of power armoured Veterans that I can use in the future for Command Squads, Company Vets or regular Tactical squad members & sergeants as I wish.

Plasma gunners. With Command Squads now able to take upto 5 special weapons, I'll be adding another in the near future.

Veterans with bolters. Useful for bulking out Company Vets squads or for a cheap-ish Standard of Devastation Command Squad.

The gunslingers. Eventually I'll probably convert another couple so I can have a complete unit.

This was originally the twin plasma pistol guy from my original post, but I really liked the drum magazine bolt pistol from the new Ravenwing Black Knights kit.

The first of two Dark Vengeance Tactical Srg's I've converted. When DV was released the Sergeant was the only model I wasn't too impressed with. However it's actually a really nice piece and very useful for conversions.

Combi-plasma gunners. Again, I'll probably be adding more in the future.

One of my favourites. The torso and legs are actually Chaos parts but they're not particularly heretical and are a pretty inexpensive way of representing an older looking mark of power armour (at least compared to Forge World prices).

Storm bolters. Now that Veteran Srgs are an optional upgrade and regular Sergeants can take wargear, storm bolters are actually a pretty cheap way of adding an additional 24" bolter shot to a Tac squad. In addition, I'm thinking a Command Squad with storm bolters, boltguns & a Sacred Standard would be able to keep mobile whilst still shooting, allowing you to manouver the Standard to where it's most useful.

This is my other favourite model from this batch. I read ADB's 'The Emperor's Gift' over Christmas, which features a Grey Knight armed with both his usual wrist mounted storm bolter and a bolt pistol. Such a cool image I had to try to recreate it. Truly excellent book by the way.

For some strange reason, this guy reminds me of a Sontaran from DrWho smile.png The storm bolter is from the Space Wolves sprues.

And finally we have my new 3rd Company Master, Knight Lord of Caliban & Bearer of the Mace of Redemption:

Hope you like them! smile.png

:tu: You have an awesome start going there, Spaced Hulk! I really like your dual pistol guys, very cool. I really like that drum mag pistol as well, glad to see someone already using it. You have one guy with a bolter and combat blade in his hand, which model did that blade come from? It looks more like an actual sword/enlarged knife than the smaller Marine combat blades do, so I'd like to track one or two of those down. Very nice combi-plasmas and your Company Master looks very good.

Now we need some painting! :D

Thanks for the kind words about my Stoneburners, hope to have some more new stuff up soon.

thumbsup.gif You have an awesome start going there, Spaced Hulk! I really like your dual pistol guys, very cool. I really like that drum mag pistol as well, glad to see someone already using it. You have one guy with a bolter and combat blade in his hand, which model did that blade come from? It looks more like an actual sword/enlarged knife than the smaller Marine combat blades do, so I'd like to track one or two of those down. Very nice combi-plasmas and your Company Master looks very good.

Now we need some painting! biggrin.png

Thanks for the kind words about my Stoneburners, hope to have some more new stuff up soon.

Cheers mate! smile.png I know I really need to start painting, unfortunately when it comes to that side of the hobby I really am the king of procrastination! tongue.png

The combat blade is from the Catachan Command Squad. I got mine from a bits site but looking at the sprue (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1900033) there's quite a few useful parts on there. I've always liked the idea of the combat blade/gladius that marines have in the fluff, and the catachan blades seem more appropriate than the knives you get on the marine sprues.

Thanks again smile.png

Archived