Anyone using the Fortress of Redemption?

PaganLinuxGeek

Since my WIP is nearing completion and I am eager to bring it to a game boar...

I was wondering if anyone else uses the Fortress of Redemption in their lists and if so how does it suit your play style?

Naturally you would want to build your list to utilize it rather than adding it as an afterthought.

My initial thoughts were along the lines of:

Devastator squad on top of tower with missile launchers.

10 Tactical marines (split into combat squads) on bunkers (firing missile silo and tl-icarus).

I'd welcome any constructive input.

Anything thats going to dominate my deployment zone and cost over 200pts is not going to be added to my army as an afterthought.

Id probly drop in 2 squads of Long Fangs with decent kit, and a pack of plasma-toting GHs aswell. The investment is about 700pts, but should be worthwhile from a firepower perspective, and placing it in a nice central location, or off on a flank really gives the enemy something to focus on.....

Wich is good, because my DPs dont want them thinking about the skies. I want them looking and moving in a particular direction so I can hit them from a very different angle. Catch them in the crossfire between the two and then grind them into dust.

If they dont take the bait, then I play mission objectives and try to be conservative in my deployment to keep casualties down.

Anything thats going to dominate my deployment zone and cost over 200pts is not going to be added to my army as an afterthought.

Id probly drop in 2 squads of Long Fangs with decent kit, and a pack of plasma-toting GHs aswell. The investment is about 700pts, but should be worthwhile from a firepower perspective, and placing it in a nice central location, or off on a flank really gives the enemy something to focus on.....

Wich is good, because my DPs dont want them thinking about the skies. I want them looking and moving in a particular direction so I can hit them from a very different angle. Catch them in the crossfire between the two and then grind them into dust.

If they dont take the bait, then I play mission objectives and try to be conservative in my deployment to keep casualties down.

Similar to my thoughts. I have drop pods with sternguard, honour guard or command squad, and kitted tacticals arriving via deep strike.

A pair of vindicators on the board, and stormtalons for arial support should be effective...

Then the fortress is useless for your army list, If you want, a aegis line with scouts on it to use a coms relay would help you more.

So you're telling me that the twin-linked strength 9 ap 2 weapon, and fragstorm / krakstorm missile silo, and team of devastators on tower with heavy weapons are useless? I am not trying to pick a fight here, or be sarcastic. I genuinely want to understand the logic.

IIRC, the Icarus is not twinlinked :D

I also think that a scenary piece that shoots like a LR, has the AV of a LR but doesn't move as a LR...not very tempting (gaming wise).

Being able to bunker up troops (which will not be capturing an objective, since you can't place within a building) is always a nice thing...but the trade-off seems to high IMO.

That being said...do it because you feel like, it appeals to you and you simply have the time, space and will to do so :) Those are the best projects!

Then the fortress is useless for your army list, If you want, a aegis line with scouts on it to use a coms relay would help you more.

So you're telling me that the twin-linked strength 9 ap 2 weapon, and fragstorm / krakstorm missile silo, and team of devastators on tower with heavy weapons are useless? I am not trying to pick a fight here, or be sarcastic. I genuinely want to understand the logic.

At first description, your described army sounded too fluid for a single large firebase, so it didn't look appropriate. At least that's what I believed he replied to in regards to.

If you excuse me talking for someone of course. :lol:

IIRC, the Icarus is not twinlinked :(

I also think that a scenary piece that shoots like a LR, has the AV of a LR but doesn't move as a LR...not very tempting (gaming wise).

Being able to bunker up troops (which will not be capturing an objective, since you can't place within a building) is always a nice thing...but the trade-off seems to high IMO.

That being said...do it because you feel like, it appeals to you and you simply have the time, space and will to do so :lol: Those are the best projects!

The Icarus on the Fortress is twinlinked. The icarus on the aegis / bastion is NOT.

At first description, your described army sounded too fluid for a single large firebase, so it didn't look appropriate. At least that's what I believed he replied to in regards to.

If you excuse me talking for someone of course. :lol:

Ahh I think I see. The fortress is more for a "come get me" list as opposed to a "takin it to you" list.

I actually want to develop a list that is neither. Meaning I love my drop pod delivery but need to support them without abandoning my own table edge.

Open to suggestions.

is using devastators has them man the ICL and have the sgt fire it, and use tellion to fire the krakstorm missile, he is BS 6 and allocates ALL wounds

EDIT: Nevermind. I was thinking of another thread where it was determined that the missile battery never has LOS to a target.

Having the dev-sarge fire the IC means his dev squad (generic marines) have to fire on the same target (unless it is during intercept).

I've been in a few games where people used the Fortress and it was fun, but as others suggested, dictated the opponent's strategy. It is great for scenario play. On the other hand, If I know in advance I'd be attacking a fortress, I'd be better prepared for it....

Captain Idaho pretty much summed up my thoughts, you have 15 marines in 3 squads defending a large investment and for the most part are on their own sitting there the whole game. That's leaving 3KP and over 600 points alone to fend for themselves, and to be honest that much for a fire base could easily be used for IG allies and use heavy weapon teams, some small platoons, a artillery battery, and some fliers.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, you really want to drag your enemy into range of the fort and obliterate them with firepower while being relatively safe yourself.

In that mindset you want 2 kinds of units. Heavy weapons and adaptive attackers.

Heavy weapons sit inside the fort and shoot out. Good choices are Dev squads, sniper scouts w/ Tellion, Etc. A Whirlwind hiding behind it could shoot in indirect fire.

Some good allies would be Tau anything, Space Wolf Long fangs, or Imperial guard heavy weapon teams.

Adaptive attackers need to serve a few roles. First they defend the fort from melee attackers. Second they go out and claim distant objectives. And third, they act as bait to pull enemies into the range of your firebase.

What you use here is less important than how you use them. Here is what I would pick:

Libby with Gate of Infinity: Attach to any squad, insta-teleport to backfield objective.

Land speeder storm: The unit requires a tactica on its own, but it blocks deep striking and is a fast troop transport. Its also small enough to hide pretty well until you need it.

Vindicator siege tank: Charge my fort. I dare you.

Small assault marine squad: Can hide behind the fort and jump over it to charge the enemy (or block an enemy charge with their lives). Or run after distant things that can't be shot to death.

OR a Small Bike squad: similar to the assault squad, but slightly different uses.

Those are just some suggestions.

Archived