Deathwing Reboot

m_r_parker

So this is something that I have been very excited about for a while now, and something that I've been dreaming about for even longer.

Seeing as the models haven't been released yet, this will initially be a place for me to bounce some ideas around until i can get my hands on those new sprues!

The first thing that this plog will need is a mission statement to ensure that I don't lose myself on the journey. So this is what I'm aiming for, in order of achievability:

1. Build a 2,000 point army for gaming
  2. Expand on the army to give myself options, and to scale up for larger games
  3. Build the entire Deathwing Company
  4. Build some Ravenwing support elements
  5. Build the third Company for some traditional power armour elements
  6. Build the entire Dark Angels Chapter (well, we all have dreams)

Now, we don't know exactly what is going to be in the Deathwing box, but we do have some pretty amazing pictures of some of the completed models. I already have a very large bits box for Terminator models (specifically with the intention of building the 1st Company) so there's going to be amazing scope for getting the full use of the box contents. Some observations:

• We've seen pictures of both Deathwing Knights, with the cool tabbards and hooded heads, and regular Deathwing terminators, with custom torsos. As with all GW kits, the limiting factor of the box set is that there are only 5 sets of legs. Therefore I will be using the Deatwing Knight setup (Legs, Tabbard torso and hooded head) as the basis of the sergeants of the Deathwing squads, and use the remaining torsos, heads and other pieces to bling up the regular rank-and-file terminators.
  • I think there's going to be a lot of weapons on there, but I think it won't quite match what was put into the Grey Knight Terminator box. I'm guessing we're going to get 5x Knight Maces and Storm Shields, 1x of the Knight flails, 5x Storm Bolters, 4x Power Fists, 1-2x Chain Fists, 1x Power Sword, 1-2x Thunder Hammers, 1-2x Lightning Claws and some heavy weapons (Plasma Cannon, Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer. For some reason I don't quite see there being space on the sprue for a Cyclone Launcher). Combined with some basics from other Terminator sets, it will be easy to make use of these Deathwing-sepcific bits and pieces to give the unit
  • There will be at least two sets of shoulder pads in the set, a regular set and a Knight set (with some sort of funky bordering around the edges of the pad), but I think I will be mainly using the Forgeworld pads.
  • The Watcher in the Dark looks really awesome!
  • The command pieces also look great, but it looks like the Deathwing Company banner is a back banner which is something I'm not really a fan of. I'd prefer it to be a giant banner as per the majority of other company banners.

Now I haven't seen the codex yet so I don't know how they will play, but I'm considering not using Deathwing Knights. Normally I'm a big fan of 'Rule of Cool', and these do sit within that category, but I really like the background of the Dark Angels and their structure - and I just don't see how they fit in to the Chapter structure. Are they within the 1st Company, or within the higher echelons of the Inner Circle? How are they different to regular Deathwing, which have the remit of hunting the Fallen for the Chapter.

Anyway, seeing as this is a WIP forum there should be some WIP shots, even though the stuff I'll mainly be working on isn't available yet. Here are a trio of Venerable Dreads to accompany the 1st Company. The great thing about the Venerable kit (amongst many other things) is that the ranged weapons are really easy to change across. So here are the pics:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Deathwing%202013/Dreadnoughts_1_zps62b80535.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Deathwing%202013/Dreadnoughts_2_zpsb46b8577.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Deathwing%202013/Dreadnoughts_3_zpsabf82fa1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Deathwing%202013/Dreadnoughts_4_zps047073fa.jpg

I will try and get updates where I can, but I warn everyone now that this will be a slow process, and it could be weeks between picture updates.

Cheers!

Archived