Making Cultists work

Dosjetka

Good evening,

I was just wondering if there were any "sort of good" options for running squads of Cultists without going the all too common Plague Zombie route? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Ludovic

A huge blob of fearless cultists (with a chaos lord or apostole leading them) can be extremely annoying while being pretty cheap.

IMHO, if I was playing chaos, I'd prolly run a bunch of cultists as cheap scoring troops (get a unit of 20+, put them on an objective, and forget about them), while throwing a ton of threats at the enemy to make him ignore them.

For just a cheep scoring unit, that tries to come out of reserve and sit on an objective, you can't go wrong with the basic 10-man unit (with or without autoguns)

I certainly wouldn't be investing much in them - their relatively poor statline and save will see them not last long. You'll just want them to sit and be ignored basically.

• 1 month later...

Just take a bunch of blobs of regular old Cultists. Grab 3 Helldrakes, fill out the rest of your Army with Scary HQ and Heavy support choices to help you cut down your opponent while they try to either A. Mow down your Cultists, or B. Try to shoot down your flyers. All the while you Torrent your opponent with AP 3 Templates and Flyby attacks. All the while you could be dropping STR 8 AP2 small blasts everywhere with your forgefiends or whatever else you might want if you are worried about tanks. I mean obviously there will be lists that just beat this flat out. But Putting 180 bodies on the table with a couple hulls, Might work.

Cultists' strength is in being ignored keep them cheap and have lots of them. That being said, don't fall into the trap of taking two squads of ten as troops and then loading up your army with non-troops. This is a trap I've seen loads of people fall into. Sure the army is very killy, but once the cultists come on the board a smart opponent will immediately and easily wipe them out. In objective games this means you're more than likely to lose every time.

I personally like the idea of 20+ cultists with autoguns and flamers. Not too expensive, not too threatning, but can still lend a hand at midrange if need be or score a few wounds in overwatch.

If I used them, I'd start with 20 bodies and 2 flamers. Even 100 points and the flamers provide a little insurance if they need to take an objective or stop a charging unit. Otherwise they will likely spend most turns going to ground.

I use 2 squads of 10 melee cultists, with a flamer to back up my 2 plague marine squads, and they do pretty good. Due to being scoring they are a threat that has to be dealt with, and I usually reserve them, sometimes hitching a ride in my spare rhino (although hilarious when it blows up).

I've wanted to use bigger squads, and maybe zombies, but I would always want a marine squad or 2, as cultists aren't that resilient.

Use them for a meat shield for long range shooting units(gunline) or foot slogging melee units. Cultists can set up Khrone bezerkers for counter assault against melee lists like nids, orks, other CSM/Daemons, etc. and give you a break vs. units that would beat you in positioning or initative Hammernators in LR, jump pack BA lists, bike troops, thunder wolves, etc.

Bubble wrap vehicles at the start of the game to avoid melta scouts, IG melta command in Valks,  iron pods, Sternguard, etc...

Screen for necron beatles.

Archived