1st Time Painting

Blood Reaver

First time painting, started with Dark Vengeance Deathwing Terminators. Would like some feed back and some tips on how to paint power weapons (as you can see from the photos, i could use the help). In the photos, they might look golden but its because of the flash from the camera since im in a low light environment. But the base layer is a mix of Ushanti Bone and Abaddon Black.

gallery_70333_8002_933336.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_196648.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_607657.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_161811.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_807544.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_701344.jpg

gallery_70333_8002_108822.jpg

Lookin' good there man! As far as power weapons go, it sort of depends on personal preference for look/ amount of time you want to put into painting them. I personally like to paint a sort of lightning effect on the blade, to represent its energy. However, I have also seen simply painted silver blades with a colored wash applied to great effect. Again, it's %100 personal preference! I would recommend maybe searchin' for some images, simply because of how many unorthodox techniques people use (many would never occur to me naturally in several lifetimes)!

First off for this being your first time, very well done. As for power weapons its as everyone has said, its up to you. I pick a color that works well with my Army. For my Fists I used green. Think of them like lightsaber colors. You can have anyone you want and they all look different but work the same. I even see it as being part of a chapters tradition to carry a certain color.

as for how to paint, I find that a nice base color with some heavy washing, and then light ink on the edge to work very well.

On the armor itself I like it. It has the same drty feel I try to use myself. However did you want Dirty or Bone (the traditional color for death wing). If you want more of a bone feel I would do another dry brushing of bone, then a very light white brushing. You will have to be careful not to over do but by brushing over a bit of the wash it will chance dirty into aged bone.

Take them for what they are worth, and I love the work

Yeah i forgot to mention, the terminators are heavily washed in Agrax Earthshade (Devlan mud) to produce a more realistic battlefield look (foot slogging, mud churned from artillery and rain), also on the more pragmatic side i used it to cover up textural imperfections (was doing this without gloves and brushed on primer so i was leaving finger prints that caked and hardened on surface and hard to cover up). Also i never even thought of silver with a wash and colored edge, might try that but i lack any wash other than Agrax Earth shade, any way to make effective homemade washes? Also this was painted entirely with the citadel starter brush which isnt that great for detail work and i seem to have already worn down (might just use it applying washes and varnishes) any brush care tips? I have army painter brushes on the way (insane detail, regimental, and dry brush) and hopefully i can keep them alive a bit longer, anyone know of these brushes are any good? Ill be using them to touch up some spots on these models. Also, anyone think i should darken the red, im afraid it might be too light (Mephiston red) or is it just me?

Archived