Wolf guard or sternguard

Stormshadow

I made some sloppy but quick conversions on my Dark Vengeance tacticals, so now I have 14 marines with combi-meltas :tu:

Now I am wondering if I should use them as a wolf guard or sternguard squad, in a drop pod. 10 combi-melta WG in a pod would be 265pts and 10 combi-melta SG would be 335pts. The WG's have counterattack and the ability to get more cc weapons (and adding terminators) while the SG have the special ammunition, can get better ranged weapons and can combat squad to shoot at two targets when they arrive.

Which unit do you think is better for some drop pod melta death?

Well I suppose that depends entirely on what the main codex youre using is going to be? And how much you want to take an HQ and troop from C:SM or C:SW to shoehorn this unit into your army?

It doesn’t rely matter to me which parent codex I am using or if I’m using allies at all (they are all going to be count as Daemonhunters/exorcists/GK in the end ;) )

I just want that “first turn smack in the face” as hard as it can be, but with the staying power to be able to keep bringing the pain in the next couple of turns. :)

If you really want that face-smacking to be at max power I'm gonna have to throw my vote towards Wolf Guard; if you're taking them as an Allied detachment you need an HQ, and you can take that in the form of a Divination Rune Priest. Combi weapons only get one shot, so you definitely want that shot to hit; and Prescience will help you there. Granted you won't have the benefits of special ammo afterwards, but in all honesty this unit is either going to die or get assaulted, so you probably wouldn't get a chance to use any of it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as you can run 2 HQs in a Wolves allied detachment, you could do:

HQ - Logan Grimnar

HQ - Wolf Priest with Combi-plasma

Tr - up to 8 Wolf Guard with Combi-meltas in a Pod

Tr - up to 9 Wolf Guard with Combi-plasma in a Pod

Logan joins the Combi-melta squad, The Priest joins the Combi-plasma squad

Logan can give the meltas either tank hunters or preferred enemy (everything)

depending on what you're shooting. The Priest goes for preferred enemy (Infantry)

or (Monstrous Creature) (say against Nidzilla or Daemonzilla lists). You can then

decide which unit to bring down turn 1 to turn your opponents most beloved

unit/vehicle into steaming vapour.

Plus it means 2 units that are scoring, have 2 attacks each, and a decent character

attached to them running around your opponents deployment zone, giving you

linebreaker, should they survive.

Providing you are going first, this should almost guarantee you first blood as well,

and if you target his warlord/warlord's unit you might get slay the warlord too.

The thought of claiming first blood and warlord on turn 1 is rather a nice one, plus

given a favourable scatter you might get your unit on an objective (mission permitting)

and in his deployment zone (linebreaker) which'll put your opponent on the back foot

and force him to expend firepower/combat killing them while your army advances

or obliterates him from afar.

Axagoras - I said Wolf Priest - they get preferred enemy (their choice of unit type) which is declared at the start of the game.

At no point did I say Rune Priest.

Laterz...

Archived