WIP - 6ft x 4ft Table build

Slyfox1990

I often tend to flitter in and out of WIP threads, as I often find myself starting and finishing a model before I actually get around to taking any pictures. However, with this particular project, I think it will take easily enough time and energy to complete that it might be amusing to do a WIP - and so here we are.

A friend and I decided to make ourselves a table as we currently mostly play games between ourselves and it'd be easier than going to a club to do this.

Our aim is to build a 6ft by 4ft table, with 2 pieces of 3ft x 4ft section which can be lifted out from a surrounding frame. Hoping to also make the outside frame hinged so that it can be folded in half.

The overall aim is to make a big table, but one which is vaguely moveable. By making an outer frame this would also allow us to insert different board types into it - cityscape, general landscape, etc etc.

At the moment we are still planning this so it's got work to go.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2676/tablebuildprelimsketch1.png

Poor image but basically this is the two halves placed together. (look at the right hand side for best understanding)

Each half being -

4ft vertical edge piece

2x 3ft (slightly less than) horizontal edge pieces

2 x 4ft lower vertical strengthening beams

3 x 3ft (slightly less than) lower horizontal strengthening beams

Intending to attach all edge pieces with screws, and lower pieces with wooden dowels and wood glue. Would then attach uper to lower with screws also (probably). Obviously we are ignoring the board itself at this stage and focusing on the frame.

Any advice useful!

might i suggest you make the inserted pannels 2 by 2 feet, and add a thin mdf(4-6 mm?) pannel to the bottom of your framework. this way you can make modular panels you can insert to change the setup of the board, similar to GW's board. since the outer frame will keep the panels in place it doesn't require any interlocking mechanism. You can then drill large holes in the thin MDF board to reduce weight and make removal of the pannels even easier

You may indeed suggest this - sounds like a rather sensible idea. Will have a look at incorporating something like this into the design - should be easy to do with little/no alteration.

edit: Actually on a re-read of what we said would need more of a rework than I originally thought - but still a very useful idea.

actually the fram doesn't have to change that much, bar that you could leave the two middle boards since the mdf should be sufficient to support the weight. you then place the hinges on the topside (which i assumed you were already going to do?) and even add simple handles on the two outer 4 ft bars, allowing easy transportation etc.

here's a quick paint mock up

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb281/amorfatipictures/gamingtable_zps4f9e7b2e.jpg

Thanks Hendrik. That is rather a lot like what I had in mind, although I hadn't originally considered a base as you've suggested. When I read your first message I think I slightly misunderstood and your image is closer to my thoughts than I had realised (excuse that waffle-y english)

Was thinking about handles and hinges ideally - but we're going to largely play that by ear and decide latter on.

the main benefit from this sort of table is that the possibilities are endless, as long as you've got storage room. adding handles isn't needed, but will help to move the board around more easier. as far as hinges go a simple butt hinge should work fine. for purely aestetic reasons you might even want to paint the whole thing and put a nice coat of varnish on it. i think you can make a table like this for less then 20-30 pounds, and most likely won't take more then an afternoon to put together, includding shopping,planning and painting :huh: building the modular panels on the other hand! :blink:

Archived