Demon2027 Alpha Legion

Daemon2027

And if you chaps are talking about Bagshot just down the road from Bracknell, I used to live in Bracknell (but I left back in 2000, when I was 5) ;)

Small world!

Very small! Although I'm still nearby, in Twickenham. :)

Yeah very small world. Shame you guys don’t live nearby anymore, know no one in the area whose into the hobby.

Marshal Sampson of Terra: The Praetor has a paragon blade, but its sheathed at his side. He’s going through a bit of  refit at the mo and I’m entering a different Praetor set up for my vow. tbh if I game, its for, so set up doesn’t bother me to much. In fact here is a picture of the Praetor (headless as it will be painted separately).

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/Demon2027/Heresy%20Alpha%20Legion/image_zps9bdd4c05.jpg

Before work tonight (where I am at right now) I started painting my Master of Signal and Recon squad for my vow. Here is where I'm at(I know the armour colour has changed from the last model, I’m very indecisive). I found it hard to get a good picture, so I will have to set up a photobox once my models are done.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/Demon2027/Heresy%20Alpha%20Legion/image_zpsbfc3e4b5.jpg

I like what you first had with the bolt pistol and knife with the bolter slung behind. I try and do the same thing  with my DeathGuard on making it like the real deal, bolter goes dry you let it go and the sling pulls it behind you while you pull up your bolt pistol ect. Very nice work.

Praetor of the XXth Legion 9th company (name to come)

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/Demon2027/Heresy%20Alpha%20Legion/image_zpsc6a241c7.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/Demon2027/Heresy%20Alpha%20Legion/image_zps80a75722.jpg

Let me know what you think, painting on him, and the first 5 tactical marines, will start on Friday.

love the subtle still badass pose of him..

..but of course his name is Alpharius..  ;)

I love AL BG but my main issue with it is that to stick to the canon info we have till now the models should be all exactly the same (mk4 I guess) and just change the pose..

..it's a bummer since you can't really customize neither sergeant nor leader..even their primarch had bare simpe power armour..

I'm curious to see what GW will do for them when their time under the spotlight will come..beside pushing once more the ugly and senseless recon squad..  -_-

P.S. even termies..they should probably be the ugly MK4 variants??

Thanks for the kind words guys

Love your work brother, have you thought of joining the istvaan v thread we have an opening for some alpha legionaries.

I wasn't going to base my Alpha Legion around Istvaan V, one because I like the loyalist legions present to the point I don't want to paint them dead on the base although saying that Salamanders may be a good contrast to the dark blue. Secondaly im planing an imperial army and mechanicum attachment which wouldnt have been present at Istvaan V. I will check thread out though.

I like what you first had with the bolt pistol and knife with the bolter slung behind. I try and do the same thing with my DeathGuard on making it like the real deal, bolter goes dry you let it go and the sling pulls it behind you while you pull up your bolt pistol ect. Very nice work.

Crazily I'm redoing that Praetor, I love the concept I just want to get it right. I may at ahoy add a sling to the bolter for the reason you have said, it makes it feel more realistic. The knife had bugs me though, my other ideas are holding a grenade, with the pin around the thumb like he's ready to pop it out, or hand resting on the hilt of the sword. I think the grenade idea will look quite good if I can pull it off, but the hand on hilt that makes the think the model will have a look of arrogance which is a trait I think the Alpha Legion has.

love the subtle still badass pose of him..

..but of course his name is Alpharius.. ;)

I love AL BG but my main issue with it is that to stick to the canon info we have till now the models should be all exactly the same (mk4 I guess) and just change the pose..

..it's a bummer since you can't really customize neither sergeant nor leader..even their primarch had bare simpe power armour..

I'm curious to see what GW will do for them when their time under the spotlight will come..beside pushing once more the ugly and senseless recon squad.. -_-

P.S. even termies. they should probably be the ugly MK4 variants??

Thanks, I'm glad you like him, he is indeed my Alpharius, and I have an 'Omegon' in the works to. I'm using these as sort of titles as opposed to their names.

There a few variations to the mark IV now, with the destroyers, the legion mark IV and the recon squad,which I don't mind. Hopefully I will have a painted shot of my first recon squad soon, and I plan to do a second eventually but I will probably build them out of normal mark IV bits. As for the terminators, there is artwork in collected visions supporting Alpha Legion cataphractii and I think they look really cool so I'm happy to use them. In my fluff the TDA praetor is basically a representative of Alpharius Lernaean terminators. My philosopher is I'm painting a force of Alpha Legions that's involved in the end game, they've done there scheme, their infiltrating, and now there going to smash the enemy, so a bit of 'flair' in the armour can be explained, especially in an unsubtle unit like Cataphractii.

I changed the blue slightly trying to bring it in line with the models forgeworld have put out. Mine are a lot darker then theirs, but i think the colours are similar. I also like the grittiness of my new colour over the original blue i did.

Still got to do some work on the metals and the little bits such as the pouches, the eye lenses, and try and fit in some green somewhere. I have also started on my first squad, highlighted 2 of the models, 3 to go. I was thinking of using the white stripe I have done on the master of Signal onto all hq models including sergeants. Slightly outside the background but i think it will help me distinguish without being to obvious.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so after a massive detour I seem to back here again. And I'm restarting. After seeing Zsoulless fantastic Alpha Legionnaires I got really inspired to re do mine (and also to steal his ideas, which is what we Alpha's do). Now this is very rough, partly because I'm not great at sculpting, and partly because I have only put a few days work into him so far. Hoping by the end of tomorrow his legs will be done, and the chest started. The arms and head are not stuck down yet, was just checking the pose. Thoughts appreciated.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5546/9839429484_550fc6acc7.jpg

Heathens has some good tips, and judging from the look of the greenstuff on that guy I'm going to guess that you're not using any kind of lubricant?

If you could give a run down of what tools and such that you're using, I might be able to offer some specifics to help you get better with the greenstuff.

Cheers mate, i will definitely lube up in the future (shudder). I'm using clay shapers to smooth down the flat surfaces, however I seem to notice more discrepancies in the pictures then I do looking at it naturally. What I plan to do is sand down the rougher area, then to back and add some finer detail. What I'm tending to do is get the basic shape I want, let it dry, then go back and neaten it up with a knife and a small file. The plate guarding the stomach for example is just a rough shape, and tomorrow I plan to smooth down, re shape and hopefull get it looking flat and ready for a skull. Again the arms are very early, and are not stuck down, I need to rework a lot of detail.

Forgot to mention, I have 5 vets and a Sicaran in the works to.

Heathens, nah man, I appreciate any and all tips. The reason I post in such a rough state is to get advice. Tbh the legs are a bit rougher then I hoped, and I think using an un lubed (shudder again) knife was a mistake when making the pteruges.

Here's a pic I took yesterday with out the arms, I don't like it though as he looks out of proportion.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7391/9825972294_d0a09c7437.jpg

I have since added detail to the holster straps, and to the sheath straps.

To lubricate my shaping tools, I use whatever cooking oil we happen to have on hand, but you can try different things. Some people swear water will work just fine, but it never helped that much in my experience. That rough texture on the GS in that picture is from your tools sticking to it, and possibly working with it past the point where you should have stopped.

Once it starts to cure, if you're not using lubricant, it will began to tear and leave that rough, stringy texture behind. If you lube your tools then that won't be an issue, however, there comes a point that you need to stop working with it, even with lubricant, because it starts to feel spongy and instead of holding the shape of whatever you did with  your tools, it will spring back some, leading to softer edges and blurring your work.

in regards to the alpha legion being the same...not really

in Legion they undergo surguries to make them all look very similar to the normal eye...some are slightly taller then others and their primarchs are still tall but not normal primarch height...*possibly because there are two for the legion*...thus I think when FW makes the AL models there should be some the same height as the Primarch and the other models should be only slightly shorter then they are but slightly taller then normal Legion marines...

These look great! Your GS work is fantastic, and your conversions are really characterful. These are very much Alpha Legion Astartes. I may steal a few of your ideas (with your permission, of course!) when I come to do my own.

Looking forward to seeing where this is headed!

Archived