Abaddon

Vesper

I took the time to evaluate GW's shame about the aging model of the Despoiler.

See, we witness our loved Warmaster's model less and less in our codices, starting with the gavdex (because previous codices weren't following the same pattern). We have two actual pictures of Abaddon's model in our beloved 4th ed codex, and in our brand new, just a single one (when Huron got two, and the new DV lord at least four or five).

Let's face it, his model is pretty bad.

Then we have that sweet ForgeWorld sculpt of the pre-heresy/heresy era Abaddon (most likely my next Terminator lord model) :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-acLPz_peXYo/UGNe...zps2fa48023.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NPLsvuI19y8/UH1r...40/CIMG2865.JPG

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/Gag...zps0ba79ca1.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/444454IMG5509.jpg

Awesome, indeed.

But I can't get why GW chose to keep the actual model over a new sculpt. Lazyness comes to mind, of course...

Questions :

- That sweet FW sculpt... When can I freaking buy it ?

- Show your Abaddon to the people of teh internets ! (yeah, in fact I had only one question...)

Yeah, if any model in the Chaos Marines range is due for an update, it's definitely our friend Abby. He's such an iconic monster in the fluff that it seems downright strange his model is so old and neglected. He's so puny next to modern TDA sculpts that not even his ridiculous hairdo makes up for it, and his pose is lame.

Maybe we're not getting a standard GW resculpt of him to push the Forge World model?

Personally, though, I've got magnets in my Chaos Terminator Lord model, and "Abaddon" is going to be just another set of optional arms for him. I mean, I HAVE the Abaddon model, I just don't like it.

Yes, that FW mini is really looking like the beast Abaddon should be. All he would need is another sword when representing BL Abaddon. Perhaps one of the Bloodletter swords?

Personally I never liked Abaddon as a character or a mini. He's just an arrogant douche, and Alpharius should have cut him down when Abaddon started to mouth off at him (Deliverence Lost).

Maybe we're not getting a standard GW resculpt of him to push the Forge World model?

The FW model is Heresy-era. No Talon of Horus nor Drach'nyen.

He's just an arrogant douche

He's your Warmaster, watch you God darn mouth !

The FW model is Heresy-era. No Talon of Horus nor Drach'nyen.

He still has a fist, a sword and a topknot. I say it's Abaddon any time of day and night. So feel free to use it!

And as for me, Khârn really needs a new sculpt, and unlike Abaddon, FW will not make him because he's not mentioned in Betrayal and I doubt he will be in Massacre.

Personally I still think Khârn's model is fantastic, even as old as it is. I remember buying Abbadon when I was 12 (over 15 years ago!) for a birthday...

Abbadon and the Chaos Biker kit are the two that need re-doing the most in my opinion.

@Aekold: I dunno - do you really think that the rules in Betrayal are all we're getting for the World Eaters, Sons of Horus, Emperor's Children and Death Guard?

Can't be happening. By the siege of Terra, they are described as being warped and openly Chaosy.

So we'll get Chaos Legions lists.

I might be wrong and someone better than me will be able to check, but didn't the 4th edition codex Space Marines come out before the Calgar resculpt and all the 'eavy metal pictures in the dex were of the older model?

If so it doesn't rule out the possibility of Abaddon (re)appearing further down the line.

@Aekold: I dunno - do you really think that the rules in Betrayal are all we're getting for the World Eaters, Sons of Horus, Emperor's Children and Death Guard?

Depends on how long you're willing to wait. Patience is my main weakness, so I want everything and NOW. I was expecting Khârn for Betrayal, but he's not there, and will not be in Massacre too. So the most optimistic scenario is second half of 2014?

Can't be happening. By the siege of Terra, they are described as being warped and openly Chaosy.

So we'll get Chaos Legions lists.

They promised they will be following Black Library, not leading it. And Black Library in no hurry to get to the palace. So yes, I'm 100% we'll get FW Khârn nearest 10 years....

So yes, I'm 100% we'll get FW Khârn nearest 10 years....

What is 10 years when we fight the long war? :)

But yes, he also should get a new mini.

Abbadon is a great mini. Shure He's a little dated but he's up there with Dante, Mephiston, Khârn, and The Emperors Chapion. When I repainted mine I put him on the chaos lord base to make him taller. The new FW Abbadon is cool but in the Betrayer book Abbadon is armed with a Master crafted Power Fist and Combi-bolter and the FW mini has a Power Fist and Power Sword. ;)

- That sweet FW sculpt... When can I freaking buy it ?

Pretty soon. Don't worry. ;)

- Show your Abaddon to the people of teh internets ! (yeah, in fact I had only one question...)

I don't actually have an Abaddon... yet. But when I finally get around to building one I'll use the Plastic Terminator Lord set + Abbadon set conversion. It's amazing.

He's just an arrogant douche

He's your Warmaster, watch you God darn mouth !

He's no Warmaster of mine. But he needs a new mini. One that doesn't make him look like a retarded midget.

Edit typo.

He's no Warmaster of mine. But he needs a new mini. One that dosn't make him lik like a retarded midget.

Exactly! You can keep your warmaster for yourself, but at least he is worthy of a new sculpt... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived