Is this squad good?

Corbulox

Lysander

5 assault terms with thunder hammers and storm shields

in a land raider redeemer (one with flamestorm cannons)

I could imagine it being a big killing unit with 3 S10 and 10 S8 hits per turn. It would also be very survivable with 2+ armour saves and 3+ invuls.

Yep, that's a good squad. Now you need to support it with 1-2 other units that seem to be just as dangerous, so you can get that squad to its target.

SJ

I was thinking 2 combat squaded tactical squads in razorbacks with flamers so then the other half's have a rocket or something sit at the back of the board shooting at tanks or holding the back objective. Then if still got the points some bikes or landspeeders

Expensive, and easily avoided. Easy to bog down in combat with a lack of attacks, all it needs is a big fearless mob (like Cultists led by a Dark Apostle, Ork Boyz, Nid Gants). It's very powerful in assault, great against MEQ, TEQ, MCs, and T4 multi-wound models (like Nid Warriors). But it's not an auto-win button. As has been said, make sure they're well supported and protected.

Expensive, and easily avoided. Easy to bog down in combat with a lack of attacks, all it needs is a big fearless mob (like Cultists led by a Dark Apostle, Ork Boyz, Nid Gants). It's very powerful in assault, great against MEQ, TEQ, MCs, and T4 multi-wound models (like Nid Warriors). But it's not an auto-win button. As has been said, make sure they're well supported and protected.

ok thanks for the advice im gonna use them to take down other HQs or other big things whilst the tactical squads can deal with the troops

If you're carrying a Terminator unit, you want a Land Raider that has Frag Assault Launchers. That way you can assault into cover with lightning claws and swords at I4, instead of being knocked to I1. The Redeemer is especially complimentary in that role (charging units in cover) because it can thin the unit out without allowing saves before your Terminators hit them.

• 1 month later...

Would have to agree with Shiny Rhino on that one. Although I am not going to lie I have never been a fan of the old "Let's just throw Assault Termies in a Land Raider and send them down river!" Kind of gameplay. It can be really effective. Although I would not freak out if you go toe to toe with other melee monster units and lose out.. Or even just blobs. Also the Land Raider becomes a big target unless you have something that will distract them form that 450 points worth of 6 models.

Lysander

I could imagine it being a big killing unit with 3 S10 and 10 S8 hits per turn. It would also be very survivable with 2+ armour saves and 3+ invuls.

Yepp, it's a good squad. However, redeemer isn't exactly a good LR variant. You're better off with the crusader or classic variant.

Lysander

Yepp, it's a good squad. However, redeemer isn't exactly a good LR variant. You're better off with the crusader or classic variant.

I'll agree that the squad is good. Tough as nails.

Though I will disagree and say that the Redeemer is a great LR variant, especially if used for this particular squad. The Redeemer needs to be extremely close to the enemy to be effective, which is where you want to be delivering the payload anyway. The closer the better since you want to minimize the chances of failing a charge with such an expensive squad. In support, the LRR will be able to fire 2 weapons to full effect the turn passengers disembark, possibly at two separate targets. The flamestorm cannons can really make a difference if you are required to charge a large mob, even if it's only 1 plus the TL assault cannon. Ideally you'll be hitting small squad of elites, monstrous creatures, and the like. The Redeemer is a super aggressive variant which compliments the aggressive nature of the aforementioned beatsick unit. The LRR's cost is also less than the other variants, so it can buy that multi-melta and be equal in cost. A purchase I think is always worthwhile.

Of course the Crusader variant serves the same role of delivery as the Redeemer and can put out a lot of fire at short range. It's aggressive yet versatile enough to be able to hang back outside of 12" if the need arises. However, I've found that its damage output tends to grow over the course of a game, while the Redeemer's is most often one turn of carnage, possibly more. So when paired with this particular squad which is focused on doing as much damage possible as soon as possible I believe the Redeemer has more potential benefits than the Crusader.

The classic variant (Godhammer, FYI) is an interesting option as well since it can use a lascannon a turn to take out transports or other duties it is well suited to and can continue to pound away at targets from long range even after it has delivered its payload. The loss of assault launchers isn't an issue either because the squad inside is striking at initiative 1 anyway. Depending on what is in the list to support it the Godhammer LR can be very useful.

I'll just pipe up and say my buddy runs godhammers in 6th as a dedicated assault vehicule... and still manages to get some good milage out of his snap firing las-cannons(while moving 12" a turn up table) as they are twin linked.

With redeemer, when playing against competent opponents, you have to keep a few things in mind:

- it'll get maybe one shot off, then it'll get blown up by melta

- if it's immobilized, it'll effectively be unable to ever hit anything

- if it's shaken or stunned, it can't shoot

From my own experience, I've never had problems vs redeemers as it was extremely easy to counter them. Basically, a single penetrating hit is devastating as the best result the opponent can hope for is for a destroyed multimelta/assault cannon, meaning it essentially has 5/6 chance per penetrating hit to be rendered useless/destroyed. With all ordnance now using 2 dice for penetration and choosing the higher number and cover saves being 5+, neutralizing a redeemer is easier than ever, not to mention generally a smart thing to do. 

As for the crusader, I've never thought much of them. I find their firepower about as scary as a full tactical squad's rapid firing, which is to say I consider it mediocre-to-bad. I also find it unnecessary since we already get craptons of bolters & cheap anti-infantry in the vanilla dex. If you really absolutely definitely need anti-infantry, get 3 dakkapreds for 255 pts and drown your opponent in AP4 shots. 

As far as I'm concerned, a Land Raider should never approach enemy infantry unless an embarked unit is ready to assault said infantry. Losing such an expensive transport for one shot by a melta etc, makes one's heart sink.

Using a Redeemer would just make me nervous to get the most out of it and probably push me to launch an assault when I'm not ready.

I love the standard variant as it's dual role of long ranged support fire and assault vehicle doesn't encourage me to do anything rash with it - I'm more likely to make the decision I want to make with it based upon the best tactical option available to me.

It also brings great anti-tank firepower and reasonable anti-infantry firepower to the table (a heavy bolter and pair of lascannons is what I consider reasonable) - as in it isn't wasted if firing at Orks like a tri-lascannon Predator might be!

I've used all three and my two favorites are the Redeemer and the Godhammer (standard) variants.

The problem I have always had with the Crusader is as much as it is a Marine (or MEQ) heavy game the Hurricane Bolters might as well be big ass BB guns. As another pointed out this is a beat stick unit's transport so it tends to head right to where the unit will do the most carnage or right at the biggest ugly your opponent has. It has been my experience the Hurricane BB gun's are not that effective going into those situations.

Being honest the Redeemer is harder to play but it can have a bigger pay off. No other variant will eat an entire squad of marines it will. Few things you have to remember though you can move 12" and use the FS cannons you just have to waist your PotMS. Tactically this is a better option to since you can't snap fire a template weapon and snap firing a TL Assault cannon gives you the most odds. If your close enough to kill them they are close enough to kill you; so if your in FSC range and you don't kill the model with the melta bombs or gun your in for it next turn. However on the upside if you can get close to them you can take out a fair number of models so unless it's the guy way in the back you got good odds of getting them off the table that turn. It's an infantry heavy world and it is a variant that wounds just about everything on 2's and just about everything in the game will not get a cover save or an armor save. A good pairing with the Redeemer is vindicators if you try to solo a Redeemer up there people will poop themselves and unload everything into it and it will get stopped. Make people choose which way they are going to die and it really ups the odds of the thing getting there.

The Godhammer is nice. It's numerical killing ability (no mods of infantry death here) is lower but it's longer range makes it very handy to have in a list. This variant is also probably the single best variant at taking out monsterous creatures so if you come up against allot of MC's this might be your best bet. With hammy's inside it will roll up putting wounds on them (don't underestimate the TL HB I've finished off Hive Tyrants with these) all the while knowing that even if they survive or pop the LR those terminators will finish the MC off. Also it gives you a little more versatility than the other variants if you look at your opponent's list and decide your terminators are better used as a counter attack force letting your opponent come to you the Godhammer makes a great long range gun platform.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents and say the redeemer has always been my favourite.  Vanilla marines requiring ten men per squad to get the good weapons means you will always have copious amounts of bolters available, making the crusader a poor choice, and a heavy bolters is just too weak compared to the assault cannon to be worth considering the godhammer, in my opinion.  If you want lascannons and heavy bolters, then forgeworld has you covered with the Spartan and the Prometheus.  For transporting terminators, redeemer will always be #1 (unless you need a bigger squad, in which case it may be worth considering the crusader or the spartan).  Another issue I have with the godhammer is that I am always tempted to use it as a giant battle tank because of it's range, it always feels so wrong when I drive forward and deposit terminators.  I don't like that; it really isn't great at sitting back and plugging away! You have the Achilles for that!  Because of all these reasons, I really like the redeemer.  Also, consider it's versatility; it is the only non-FW land raider that is good at anti-MEQ, anti-transport and anti-GEQ.  The other two GW landraiders aren't really good at killing...anything.  Granted, the Godhammer can do a decent job against light tanks and transports.

Which bring me to the one and only reason I would ever consider the Godhammer: killing a transport, and charging those inside with terminators, immediately.  Sure, the LRR and LRC both have an assault cannon, and the redeemer has two ~autohit S6 attacks, but that is just not as reliable as two TL BS4 S9 AP2 shots, and some cute S5 attacks for a potential glance on AV11 down.  

Still, most often I'd prefer to err on the side of gigantic fire cannons.

TL;DR LRR is the best terminator transport within the Land Raider family for squads that have less than seven terminators, most of the time.

This is a good unit, so long as it is not the only obviously "good" unit in your army. If you took maybe a few cheap squads of sterns in pods, some dreads, vindis. Anything that will put the hurt on the enemy turn one and distract him long enough for you to get your beatstick out from behind your back. 

I would say vindis would probably be the best, since they will be on the board turn 1, and will be able to draw fire if you go second, unlike pods. 

Also, good choice on the raider.

ZP

This is a good unit, so long as it is not the only obviously "good" unit in your army. If you took maybe a few cheap squads of sterns in pods, some dreads, vindis. Anything that will put the hurt on the enemy turn one and distract him long enough for you to get your beatstick out from behind your back. 

I would say vindis would probably be the best, since they will be on the board turn 1, and will be able to draw fire if you go second, unlike pods. 

Also, good choice on the raider.

ZP

Solid advice.

Case in point, I had the money to get either a Land Raider (for my Termies) or 2 Vindicators. A tournament was soon coming up, and I was agonising over this. In the end, I grabbed the Vindies. While the Termies in a Raider are a great unit, they're a lot of eggs in one basket, and a focal point for the list. If your opponent kills it, then they're in a commanding position. The Vindicators meant I spread that power throughout my list, along with Sternguard, Typhoons etc. That was my playstyle, having lots of good and solid units, rather than one massive one. Many people are my LGS commented on how annoying my list was to play against because of that choice, they'd kill something and it'd hardly matter to me.

So basically  what I'm saying is that I find this unit is best in higher point games, because the you can throw out a few more units that are powerful and scary, and distract your opponent with them etc.

Archived