Rhinos in 6th ed

Shi An De

I've read a few posts suggesting that rhinos and in fact transporters generally are of far less use in 6th ed than previously. Is that really the case? A single glancing hit can no longer kill or even slow down a tank, and it seems harder to get a1 shot kill even with a penetating hit (in 4th ed a 4+ on the damage table destroyed a tank). They seem perfectly visble for 1 or even 2 turns of transport before disgorging your units then acting as mobile barricades.

Or am I missing something?

I still use mine. i just don't expect them to live very long. i find with moving fast as well as not getting stun locked like in 5th, nice.

only issues they now have is with a pen hit i find pretty much any tank goes boom. (only time my usual opponent rolls high is once he's pen'd something) also out of my 30 or so 6th ed. games, in one game i got a 3 result on the damage table... not only could the rhino not move and only snap shoot next turn... the passengers are not allowed to fire in their next turn... in or out of the tank. that plus no assaulting after you get out means that squad was usless for a turn. (cost me the game... my HQ was in there!!!)

also if you take extra armour you could avoid this situation.. it reduces 3 results to a 2... i just never seem to have 15 points to spare.

so yeah rhino's are still great imho....

unless i'm missing something as well

I really love the Rhino model - favorite variant being a heavy bolter Razorback - but a lot of the time they don't seem to accomplish much. Obviously they're nearly useless for any unit that wants to get into CC. Mostly they seem useful as a blocker now if they're transporting a CC unit. Still nice for landing a shooty squad onto an objective, though.

I still use them.

A nice tactic ive been using is to move forward, get the squad out of the rhino and shoot, and then use Turbo-Boost (or whatever its called) in the assault phase to move the rhino in front of the squad, and spare them return fire/assaults.

The only bad thing is that they're an easy First Blood victory point in most games...

Rhinos are no longer Mobile Oppression Palaces (lol). They're now actually _transports_! You use them to get your squads from point A to point B, and that's it. Is it worth the costof two Marines to keep your full squad from having to walk 24+ inches toward objectives while taking incoming fire and possibly givingup their own shooting to run to make up the distance? That Rhino can cover 75% of that distance in a single turn.

They're still very useful. 6th still needs your units to be mobile to succeed, especially now that objectives can be deployed deeper into your opponent's deployment zone. Rhinos are needed to keep your army mobile, and therefore effective. That mobility lets you put pressure on objectives, and dictate where you want the battle.

As ShinyRhino said, they're no longer bunkers, but rather transports, which is a good thing IMO.

A nice tactic ive been using is to move forward, get the squad out of the rhino and shoot, and then use Turbo-Boost (or whatever its called) in the assault phase to move the rhino in front of the squad, and spare them return fire/assaults.

Technically illegal - you have to debark before the rhino moves. Then the rhino can move as usual, plus go flat out. If you drop off troops then you can't go flat out.

(I think we've gone over this before? I just don't want any readers getting the wrong idea...)

I still run rhinos as well. They're less useful than in 5th, but that's because vehicles were relatively overpowered then. Now they feel about right.

Ah, fair enough Maturin. Still getting the hang of all the new rules. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I suppose you could still get out, shoot, and have the rhino go flat out to get in the way of return fire. You just can't move the rhino first.

Another option seems to be:

Turn 1: Move rhino 6", disembark assault unit 6", run assault unit d6" (for an average move of 15.5" on the first turn). Meanwhile, another rhino (with some shooty passengers) goes flat out 18" and gives your running models cover.

Turn 2: Move assault unit 6" and hopefully you're now in charge range (this is not guaranteed and is dependent on whether your opponent is hugging their board edge and your luck with rolling). Meanwhile, shooty unit can set up where it likes for rapid fire goodness and second rhino can set up as a screen where necessary.

Is that correct? I didn't think it was legal but looking at the rules again, it seems legit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived