Assault challenges with multiple characters?

McFisty

When assaulting with a unit that has multiple characters, who decides which character receives the challenge? When I play with Thunder Hammer Terminators and Vulkan and I assault my opponents Deamon Prince, can I choose to receive the challenge with my Sergeant or Vulkan? Is that my opponents choice? How does this work? Sorry if this has already been commented on but my search and FAQ check did not find what I was looking for.

For The Emperor!

McFisty

The way I believe it works is your opponent ISSUES a challenge and you choose to accept with whom ever you have available. It screws me when I assault IG blobs because they will throw a Sgt infront of the commissar for 3 rounds of combat, tar pitting the unit.

So yes, you choose whom accepts the challenge and also would choose who is issuing the challenge.

If you choose to accept the challenge than you get to select who fights (as mentioned above), if you decline the challenge your oponent gets to pick who declines it. The declining model, doesn't get to strike this turn. Although the challenger still gets to attack normally.

If you choose to accept the challenge than you get to select who fights (as mentioned above), if you decline the challenge your oponent gets to pick who declines it. The declining model, doesn't get to strike this turn. Although the challenger still gets to attack normally.

This in a nutshell. Plus if you decline, you can't use that character's leadership that turn.

That's pretty much it:

Player 1 - I declare a challenge with my sergeant

Player 2 - I accept with my captain

- Challenge plays out alongside the rest of the combat

Player 1 - as above

Player 2 - I refuse the challenge

Player 1 - I select your captain as the refusing character, he is now unable to fight in this combat round

- Combat plays out with no challenges

Of course if your character is on his own then he cannot refuse the challenge.

Laterz...

In some cases a charcter will have a special rule meaning that he must issue and accept challenges, this means that he must be the one to accept the challenge that turn (or issue them), and cannot decline for any reason. At the moment it is only (I believe), chaos that have this rule, but it can be a real kick in the nuts in some scenarios.

Just to clarify, this can only happen to an independent character who is not attached to any squad, or a squad leader whose entire squad has been destroyed except for him and who is not with any IC's. No one to hide behind, as it were.

also you don't have to issue a challenge as far as i understand it. you can charge, not challenge, then if your opponent wants they may challenge. it's handy when attacking a squad that has two characters in it and the squad your asaulting with has two characters. it lets you see who your opponent is challenging with and pick your best character to defeat his.

In some cases a charcter will have a special rule meaning that he must issue and accept challenges, this means that he must be the one to accept the challenge that turn (or issue them), and cannot decline for any reason. At the moment it is only (I believe), chaos that have this rule, but it can be a real kick in the nuts in some scenarios.

Emperors Champion as well

Just to clarify, this can only happen to an independent character who is not attached to any squad, or a squad leader whose entire squad has been destroyed except for him and who is not with any IC's. No one to hide behind, as it were.

Any Character fielded as a unit of 1 must also accept all Challenges, not just lone Independent Characters or surviving Squad Leaders. Mephiston, the Sanguinor, Bjorn the Fell Handed, any of your GK assassins, Nemsis Dreadknight, Daemon Princes and other MC's, etc.

Emperors Champion as well

And the Chapter Champion of the Honor Guard :P

• 1 month later...

When assaulting with a unit that has multiple characters, who decides which character receives the challenge? When I play with Thunder Hammer Terminators and Vulkan and I assault my opponents Deamon Prince, can I choose to receive the challenge with my Sergeant or Vulkan?

McFisty

Edit. I was corrected. I was told in a game that it was a monsterous creature and that I could not challenge it. I guess they were wrong.

When assaulting with a unit that has multiple characters, who decides which character receives the challenge? When I play with Thunder Hammer Terminators and Vulkan and I assault my opponents Deamon Prince, can I choose to receive the challenge with my Sergeant or Vulkan?

McFisty

I just found this out recently. A Deamon Prince is not considered a character so cannot issue challenges. It is a monsterous creature ... wings turn it into flying monsterous creature.

In both the C:CSM and C:CD codexes they are Monstrous Creature (Character).  They are characters and may issue challenges.  However the C:CSM versions do not have Champion of Chaos rule so they do not HAVE to issue a challange the way most CSM characters do.  And finally, they are not Independent characters so will always be alone and have to accept challenges.

Also keep in mind (especially with large ig blob squads) you can not accept or issue a challenge if the model is not "engaged" in the close combat. This means that if the model is not in BtB with an enemy, or within 2" of someone who is in BtB at the start when a challenge is issued, they can not accept or issue their own. So very large squads can't have sergeant bob who's 12" away run up and accept the challenge. I believe this rule also applies to who can be forced to sit out but I do not recall.

I'd like to point out something players always over look when playing out assaults; you're only eligible to accept or issue challenges if you are engaged at the beginning of the combat when the assault was issued.

This means characters who must issue and accept challenges can't do so unless engaged in assaults.

It's quite important when you charge Imperial Guard blob squads too.

By engaged you do mean "in a unit locked in combat" as stated on brb page 63?

Being in base-to-base at the start of the fight sub-phase is irrelevant to the process, both for the challenger and challengee. They just have to be either part of a unit in the combat (squad character) or attached to one (independent character).

By engaged you do mean "in a unit locked in combat" as stated on brb page 63?

Being in base-to-base at the start of the fight sub-phase is irrelevant to the process, both for the challenger and challengee. They just have to be either part of a unit in the combat (squad character) or attached to one (independent character).

In order to be engaged in the combat a model must either be in btb contact with an enemy or within 2" of a model who is. If a model is currently unengaged then it can not issue or accept challenges. A pile in move may later make them engaged so that they may swing but the chance to challenge has passed by then.

Never had the distinction come up before, but I'm tempted to take advantage of it (my regular opponent runs double flyrants, who will challenge my Sergeants to make sure they don't get to attack, because I'm certainly not going to accept and waste the rest of the squad's attacks).

I actually didn't notice it at first but while re-reading the challenge rules I saw that little tidbit in there and realized I could keep my Emperor's Champion out of a challenge if I really wanted to. Assuming I then didn't roll a 12 or something.

I didn't notice the tidbit at the end of each paragraph where it says non-engaged models cannot challenge/accept challenges.

Bloody GW hiding that at the end of the paragraph. It would've been better for them to include that in the bold bit at the start.

Anyway, previous statement retracted.

Archived