DA Codex revelations (fluff)

Grotsmasha

So, having only had the Codex in my hand for 5mins, I've just read something new. I know previous Codex (C:AoD) has stated/implied that the Lion slept within The Rock under the care of the Watchers, but a new sentence has been added to that piece of fluff, " There he slumbers, his wounds long-healed......". We all knew he slept, but now his wounds are confirmed to be long-healed, unless I'm forgetting something, The Lion is now the only confirmed, fit and healthly (albiet napping) Loyalist Primarch. I'm sure I'll locate other juicy tidbits as I progress.

I really like the layout and design of the new Codex, I don't even feel dirty for forking out $83AU for it.

Cheers,

Jono

First post. I've been lurking on this site for longer than I can remember, and now my boys in green have finally been re-released I figured now was the time to get more involved!

The OP did mention in his post that he had only just got the Codex and been holding it for 5 minutes, so relax with the negativity and fear not! The new Codex does a good job of expanding on previously established fluff and giving you something new to assimilate :) Some of it will smack you in the face right off the bat, while other little bits almost sneak by - such as how Azrael unlocks Luthers cell before he goes down for a coffee and a catch up :) I doubt you'll feel let down by the Codex.

I'm from the UK but have been out here in Australia suffering GW's absolutely crazy pricing policy down-under for 2 years and this is one of the few things I've bought at a GW store here that I didn't completely resent the pricing for. £83AU well spent :D

I really hate to be negative here, but really? Just one new sentence is added for our fluff and nothing else? I really hope there is more fluff added to the codex. That will be really disapointing if no new fluff is added except for one line.

Don't worry, there's actually quite a lot of new fluff in the codex.

It's now explictily stated that our successor chapters are, to an extent, co-ordinated by the Supreme Grand Master through secret councils and that this arrangement began with the Second Founding. The suspicion of this is given as a potential reason for the High Lords' unwillingness to use the Dark Angels' gene-seed.

The size of the Deathwing and Ravenwing are now unspecified and quite probably larger than Guilliman would approve of. So there's absolutely no excuse not to buy more bikes and terminators!

Also explained is how the Dark Angels learned the Fallen survived the destruction of Caliban.

I really am very impressed with the background material in this codex. Unfortunatey Cypher is still wrongly described as wearing green power armour. sad.png

That the primarch is alive, and in the Watchers care, also confirms Cypher is not the Lion (an oft put out theory). I am not a big fan of fluff one way or the other, but there seems to be more here and better fleshed out than in older codices.

There is also quite a bit of new stuff in the "Notable Actions" section. It quite annoyed me in previous codecies that all of the "Notable Actions" were from M41, in the new dex they start right at M31. Of all of this minor new stuff, there's one that caught my eye.

Basically the DA "Ophidian Gulf"(spelling?) an Inquisitor who had captured a Fallen.

cheers,

Jono

There is also quite a bit of new stuff in the "Notable Actions" section. It quite annoyed me in previous codecies that all of the "Notable Actions" were from M41, in the new dex they start right at M31. Of all of this minor new stuff, there's one that caught my eye.

Basically the DA "Ophidian Gulf"(spelling?) an Inquisitor who had captured a Fallen.

cheers,

Jono

Since I have the Templars codex Jono I can tell you that the spelling is Ophidium Gulf; a BT strike cruiser led by Castellan Raimer who stumbles into an unnamed system. They discover a race of primitive aliens paying homage to "The Voice of the Emperor". They raze worlds, come upon a DA fleet and join them in attacking the Voice of the Emperors stronghold only to discover a warrior clad in ancient black PA whom the templars nick off with. The DA fleet make ready to blow the Ophidium Gulf apart but Castellan Raimer turns over the fallen to save his men and the DA's leave.

Make what you want of that maybe GW will change the story in a future BT codex but that's the current background for it.

Yeah, though the DA don't just leave. No further communication is recieved from the BT force. I would say the only add on is the Inquisitor set to investigate the fight. Which bodes ill for both chapters having alot to hide

So how many are in the Ravenwing now? 100, 200, 300???

Seems as though the Ravenwing has become the Dark Angels Air Superiority wing (ha laugh.png ha wing), Do they only work with the boys-n-black, are they a Legion Chapter assett? How does Sammi command them when he is on the ground directing his troops.While its a cute gimmick for the RW Im still trying to figure out how the Dark Talon & Nephilim actually fit into the RW.

cheers,

Jono

Since I have the Templars codex Jono I can tell you that the spelling is Ophidium Gulf; a BT strike cruiser led by Castellan Raimer who stumbles into an unnamed system. They discover a race of primitive aliens paying homage to "The Voice of the Emperor". They raze worlds, come upon a DA fleet and join them in attacking the Voice of the Emperors stronghold only to discover a warrior clad in ancient black PA whom the templars nick off with. The DA fleet make ready to blow the Ophidium Gulf apart but Castellan Raimer turns over the fallen to save his men and the DA's leave.

Make what you want of that maybe GW will change the story in a future BT codex but that's the current background for it.

Yeah, though the DA don't just leave. No further communication is recieved from the BT force. I would say the only add on is the Inquisitor set to investigate the fight. Which bodes ill for both chapters having alot to hide

Cheers guys, I'm aware that the "Ophidium Gulf" incident is existing fluff, and in the current Codex its listed as

998.M41 To Catch Cypher, page25.

The new incident I'm pointing out is

456.M34 The Wrong Hands, page 23

"Inquisitor Halleck, after many decades tracking degenerates in wilderness space, captures a mysterious heretic known only as the Angel Of Truth. The last broadcast bt Halleck's ship claims the prisoner has broken under questioning and revealed deep-rooted heresy. While returning to Terra with his revelation, the inquisitor is beset by an unknown enemy. The only Imperial force in the vicinity is the Dark Angels ' strike cruiser Black Sword of Vengeance. They report no sign of the Inquisitor, his vessal or his prisoner.

Cheers,

Jono

Unfortunately it says "...,without another word, the Dark Angels broke orbit and departed the system". Then it says the Ophidium Gulf made a single communication en route to the system jump point indicating that they had probably left but may be lost in the warp or too busy fighting heretics to keep in touch. That may be a little off topic though so I won't say any more.

It's not hidden. It outright says they have covert discussions/war councils/planning sessions.

So how many are in the Ravenwing now? 100, 200, 300???

Seems as though the Ravenwing has become the Dark Angels Air Superiority wing (ha laugh.png ha wing), Do they only work with the boys-n-black, are they a Legion Chapter assett? How does Sammi command them when he is on the ground directing his troops.While its a cute gimmick for the RW Im still trying to figure out how the Dark Talon & Nephilim actually fit into the RW.

Well, it says they fit as the oversized 2nd and 3rd squads/squadrons.

As far as the numbers, page 15 showing the Chapter Organization chart, it actually specifically says "Undisclosed number of..." for both the Deathwing squads and Ravenwing squads. Considering that it also specifies a time or two that both of these Companies get broken up to accompany other task force type groups almost all the time, I have a feeling that what they are telling us is that the numbers are likely beyond the 100 man standard for the Companies. How far beyond seems to be left up to the imagination.

LOVE THE NEW DEX!!!! The layout is great, the artwork is amazing (finally we can see our boys in green rather than shades of grey), the fluff is a little more hashed out and succinct, finally putting some arguements (cough SW fan boys) to bed once and for all. Definately worth buying the LE, glad I spent $110 CAD on it! 1858 of 2000 so it was gettin close. As far as I know I got the only copy in my entire city (according to my GW store)....Then again Im one of the only DA players in my entire city!

P.S C:DA=GREAAAT SUCCESS! thanks.gif GW for not bollocksing this one up!

Yeah, things and people tend to get lost in the warp arround the DA. Havent you heard? It was a freak warp storm that destroyed our planet. Honestly.

Anything more to suggest the hiden legion theme?

It's not hidden. It outright says they have covert discussions/war councils/planning sessions.

Yep, there's a little more.

Dark Angel Successor Chapters page 16

"The Unforgiven coordinate their actions, and it is not unknown for the Supreme Grand Masters of all the Chapters to gather for summit meetings at The Rock. Although duty-bound to run their formations independantly, it is strongly suspected by some within the Imperium that the Dark Angels' Successor Chapters show too much deference to the Supreme Grand Master of their originating Chapter. It is, at least partially, this rumour of "Legion-building" that often persuades the High Lords of Terra to overlook the Dark Angels' geneseed when seeking to create further Foundings."

Highlighted the important part there.

cheers,

Jono

But unlike the Black Heretics, we have experience in dealing with Inquisitors.

While its a cute gimmick for the RW Im still trying to figure out how the Dark Talon & Nephilim actually fit into the RW.

They don't, imo. They're a fleet asset just like Caestus Assault Rams, Storm Eagles and Thunderhawks.

As far as the numbers, page 15 showing the Chapter Organization chart, it actually specifically says "Undisclosed number of..."

Even if it were just 100 for each company, you'd still have additional masters, command squads, chaplains, apothecaries, techmarines, etc.

So at the very least you'd be looking at at least another 100 marines, quite possible a lot more than that.

I'll add this to the list:

- It has never been disclosed how many members are in the 1st and 2nd company. Hence I've been saying the past 19 years that the Dark Angels don't follow the Guilliman's teachings coherently from page to page. This included that no other Chapter in existence has their entire "fast attack" lined up in Company 2, or terminator/interrogator chaplains/veteran sergeants/apothecaries/etc in Company 1.

- Nevertheless as I've been harassed by some devout followers of Guilliman, the Wolves and a dozen other players about this. I've always stayed true to this vision, for the story always looked like it was akin to this, yet no one could find me a book saying the amount of "deathwing/ravenwing squads listed in the company", which could pin-point how many there were, like it was for 3rd,4th,5th,etc companies(for Ultramarines they were listed, never for Dark Angels).

- I'm merely glad that my perceiving from the very beginning has never been wrong, and you can imagine my relief... for now I can say it to the people I've played with the past 19 years, that I was right all along =D

I am the most happiest though that the story got more... "personal", not just broad lines across the stars and space. But something up-close and personal.

- As for Ravenwing having flyers, I'll put this in to another perspective:

Who can be called upon if the Dark Angels are to capture a larger amount of fallen at the same time, or fallen who have an ancient corrupted Dark Angel artifact/warmachine in their hands, painted in jet black and DA insignias alike in the Deathwing novel, and no secrets are to be started circulating across the chapter's Armoury, or techmarines, yet decisive air cover must be maintained?

Who others could be relied on should a similar kind of "monstrous akin-to-a-dreadnought fallen" arise in an open field? (reference to the same kind of machine that was in the Deathwing Novel)

- Only those who know of the fall, and that's where Ravenwing comes in, for Armoury cannot be asked to "deal with it", especially if air cover is needed.

yet no one could find me a book saying the amount of "deathwing/ravenwing squads listed in the company", which could pin-point how many there were, like it was for 3rd,4th,5th,etc companies(for Ultramarines they were listed, never for Dark Angels).

3rd edition Codex: Dark Angels (original printing), last page:

Inner Circle: Supreme Grand Master, Grand Masters, Interrogator-Chaplains, Librarians, Masters.

Deathwing: Master, Chaplain, Apothecary, Standard Bearer, 20 Terminator Squads, Dreadnoughts, Land Raiders.

Ravenwing: Master, Chaplain, Apothecary, Standard Bearer, Attack Bikes, Land Speeders, Bikes (no numbers specified).

So we did have numbers for the Deathwing, we didn't for the Ravenwing.

Then again, I don't have Codex: Angels of Death within reach right now, so maybe we got Ravenwing numbers in there, but I doubt it.

Do note, however, that Deathwing Terminator Squads in 3rd edition could be 5-10 models, so in theory, it said we had 200 marine in our 1st company, along with enough suits of TDA to equip them all.

As to Ravenwing, have you guys noticed that we can now put 99 Ravenwing marines plus sammael in one FOC?

Pointwise it's going to be over 2000, but then we can add some more second company brothers so its over the hundred and this may be how many RW we have.

I'be been through the codex a number of times but each time reading small segments. The book is crammed with a huge amount of NEW background fluff.... They are hidden in snippets in various places including the descriptions of units and vehicles, in the descriptions of wargear, in the time line and notable battles and within the characters section.

We now know the name of the First Grandmaster of Deathwing.....

The point to note about ravenwing flyers and the size of the RW company is the mention that the flyers are piloted by members of the over-sized 2nd and 3rd squads.... So the actual ravenwing company may well field one hundred marines on various vehicles but there must be extra members who are assigned to the aircraft....

The only factor I could fault is the lack of expansion of the background of the successors and I had indeed hoped that they would bring in the Angels of Vigilance as n unforgiven chapter...but really...that's a very minor issue....

jeremy vetock must be a very happy man if he's seeing this kind of response around the web... cool.png

SG

Archived