Why do Dark Angels get so much Plasma?

Plaguecaster

I am a chaos player so not really a DA expert however the new DA codex especially with all the new plasma stuff got me wondering why do DA get so much plasma compared to the other chapters????. Did they do some special favour for the Mechanicius, stole it or did GW just thought it would be cool to give them all plasma stuff. I have tried searching every where for it but can't find a single bit of info that explains why so though why not ask some DA players and see if they can help as has got me confused, as I would believe Iron Hands would get all plasma easy but why DA????

Cheers

Tha Chaplain has it right.... the background has been developed even further to credit the Dark Angels legion with maintaining a lot of ancient archetech.... and now we possess not only plenty of plasma on marines, bikes and terminators as well as speeders but also warp powered technology (Dark Shroud and the rift cannons) as well as having stasis cells and stasis bombs in the field to capture the fallen...

SG...

SG

As many first founding chapters don't follow the Codex Astartes - so don't the DA. Space Wolves go in packs and have Blood Claws and Grey Hunters,BA have their priests...DA have plasma.

Back in 3rd ed...DA codex was the only one that had plasma cannons in tactical squads,for example

As many first founding chapters don't follow the Codex Astartes - so don't the DA. Space Wolves go in packs and have Blood Claws and Grey Hunters,BA have their priests...DA have plasma.

Back in 3rd ed...DA codex was the only one that had plasma cannons in tactical squads,for example

Pretty sure that all marines had plasma in tactical squads back in 2nd edition.

Heck, all marines had autocannons available as well.

I want the autocannons back, dammit.

The simple reason is that multiple armeis have "the flamer/melta gimmick", but none have "the plasma gimmick". Now one does.

No the DA-Plasma connection is pretty old. DA were the only chapter that was able to equip its entire 1st company with (100?)TDA too.

Well, not so much equip, as much as actually deploy them as such.

Most chapters only deploy their 1st company as combined PA/TDA force, or PA-only force rather than as a TDA-only force.

One of the reasons why we got company veterans instead, to fill in the PA-veterans slot since the DW sure as hell doesn't.

I don't think there is any good fluff reason for it other than that they just like it. I don't know how it is now, but before it was just a slight fondness for it. But also it isn't like other chapters don't have plasma cannons, plasmaguns, and plasma pistols. The DA just favor it a little more.

A bit off topic, Not all chapters OWN 100 suits of TDA. Blood Angels allegedly only have 42 suits and one of those must be kept painted in UM colors as if they re-paint it that trooper dies in the next engagement.

where's the fluff for this? iirc. all of the Legions have 100+ suits of TDA it's just that only the DA utilise them all or for that matter have their entire 1st Company equipped with TDA - although I know that it is considered a rarity among successor Chapters.

As Shadow Guard said, there has been development/retcon in the newest Codex. It isn't that other Chapters don't have some plasma, but they don't have the stock piles that the DA have. People that haven't gotten the new Codex probably don't realize that this is now stated by GW. The Dark Angels, for better or worse, are now an archaeotech heavy Chapter, plasma in places that other Chapters don't have, shrouding tech, debuff grenades & bombs, etc. No longer is it a "little bit of favor", the DA outright possess more archaeotech, and they are keeping it to themselves.

Now, does anyone else wonder if some of this Warp-based tech is somehow based on Tuchulcha?

where's the fluff for this? iirc. all of the Legions have 100+ suits of TDA it's just that only the DA utilise them all or for that matter have their entire 1st Company equipped with TDA - although I know that it is considered a rarity among successor Chapters.

The only Chapters they've ever given specific numbers for are the Dark Angels, the Ultramarines and the Blood Angels. The former is said to be almost unique in owning enough to field an entire company equipped with it, and the other two (famous, supremely well-equipped, First Founding Chapters) have far fewer than 100 suits. The Ultramarines only have 72 despite being the Space Marine poster boys and having an entire mini-empire to support them.

Codex Grey Knights states that most Chapters, "fresh Founding or fragment of the Legions of yore", are lucky if they have "a few score" suits.

So unless they're the Dark Angels or the Grey Knights, a Chapter realistically has maybe 40-60 suits at most.

On the plasma question I believe the answer goes along the lines of - in order to take down a marine you need to get through his armour, plasma does that and at range therefore Dark Angels need plasma guns. Don't ask me for a reference as I don't have one.

Which goes against the way I've done my tacs and company vets as I wanted to have them doing the fire and redemption thing...Never mind.

The plasma connection was added in 3rd ed. as plasma cannons in Tactical Squads, back when plasma weaponry was still supposed to be incredibly rare and no longer understood, rather than something any Imperial Guard regiment straps by the dozen to the sides of light scout walkers. It was a one-liner in an Index Astartes article before the 3rd edition Dark Angels codex was released.

As far as I remember it was supposed to represent them being the first and oldest Legion and therefore retaining more relics and archaeotech than other Chapters. The 3rd ed. codexes are thin and simplistic, so I guess there wasn't much scope for doing that with fancy wargear or special units. Plasma was the one thing in the books that had always been rare and ancient, so that's what they got.

Of course, that was also the era when the Studio were bizarrely obsessed with giving every faction "preferred" weapons as a way of distinguishing them, which led to armies that apparently "preferred" not being able to scratch any enemy tanks that happened to be on the battlefield.

It's not for hunting the Fallen. They try to capture them, not vaporize them. Look at the new Deathwing Knights and Black Knights - concussive weapons that would be ideal for disabling blows, not killing outright.

One of the Forge World chapters (Minotaurs?) is also famous for many TDA suits but all unforgiven chapters have a full compliment. This is similar to the plasma thing, the first legion were first to be equipped with the new suits so had the most when everything went a bit awry...

But in all the Heresy fluff, it was the traitor legions that got all the shiny new armor and fancy new toys.

But even if we are talking just about it because the DA were the first legion, they should have the oldest and most worn out equipment, as they were originally equipped first when being sent out from Terra on the great crusade.

The new codex suggests that below the Tower of Angels was a cache of technology from before Old Night and that this survived the destruction of Caliban.

The Dark Angels explored the halls and dungeons they found beneath the fortress monastery. There, they claimed the hoard of machinery that had sat untouched since the little-understood Age of Technology. Many of the devices from that apex of human invention still worked, like the great shield generator itself, although their mechanisms were now unfathomable.

Pretty sure that all marines had plasma in tactical squads back in 2nd edition.

Heck, all marines had autocannons available as well.

I want the autocannons back, dammit.

That may be.

But 40k was a much different game back in 2nd- and fluff changed drastically

I am a tad miffed at the lack of compensating for our blue-shiny-perverse addiction to plasma weapons.

Wasn't that something we were all foaming at the mouth about? Gets Hot! rerolls?

I have this horrible image of my entire army vaporising itself after one shooting phase.

Archived