Clausels Black Templars! 30/6 King Arthur Mk II

Sir Clausel

• 2 weeks later...

Now theres done some more!

a squad with leader attached incomming :D

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Black%20Templars/HPIM21031280x413_zps9f95d63b.jpg

That puts my army up to 2k. Army pic will follow soonish :P

Sooo.... what ya think?

No one wears Mk III quite like a Templar cool.png . Congrats on completing the 2k. Took me a helluva lot longer to manage that, and yet you didn't really cut any corners....

I think it's the energy glow on the Plasma that steals the show with this latest lot. Care to post a tutorial on how you did that and the power weapons, seeing as they seem to be the same general technique?

But anyway...yeah, hate you. tongue.png

What options out of the Space Wolves Codex do you use as stand ins for Templar rules? I've been trying to build a Marshal's Household list for ages and I bounce back and forth between Deathwing and Loganwing trying to find the list that better represents them.

*Normally, my group allows me to sub space wolf special rules for Templar special rules like combat and chapter tactics. This is for games where I don't know my opponent or Im not playing a campaign.

Thanks a lot for the kind words gang! much appreciated!

Firepower: The plasma "glow" is very simple. You just "highlight" with a darker color instead of a brighter one. Started with a basecoat of Ceramite White(best white EVER) and "highlighted" first with Ice Blue and then Regal blue still showing the colors underneath.

The powerweapons is just a lot of layers but simple still.

Start off with a Basecoat of Regal Blue. Highlight by mixing Space wolves grey multiple times. Each time adding more and more until you reach pure Space woles grey. Then you mix that with white before a last highlight of white.

Then you mix Regal blue and Black and shades the opposite end of the blade. A very thined down wash of asurmen blue ties it all together before you paintall egdes with white. The last step with white really does the trick so if you give it a try be sure finish it and not stop halfway because its "not good enough".

I know it sounds like a lot but it really isnt. Doesnt take much 10 mins(tops) to do a blade this way.

Feel free to ask me any questions and aslo post a pic in this thread if you do give it a shot(This goes for everyone). This recipe is simple yet really effective. Everyone can do it.

Marchal2 crusaders:

I simply use the SW dex as is because I feel its actually quite realistic of how I imagine BTs to be like. I just stay away from Wolves and libbys.

Completely in love with this idea, and I really want to try it out. I know i'm resurrecting a dead thread here. but this is absolutely amazing. Although looking at the wolf codex they have really poorly priced terminators.... maybe counts as space wolf templar army, with codex templar terminators and ec.....

I know i'm resurrecting a dead thread here. but this is absolutely amazing.

The last post was only 2 days ago.

There's (ironically enough) a thread on the WIP front page right now that was resurrected today after the last post was in July 2012.

You're alright msn-wink.gif

Clausel- Interesting stuff. Though now that I finally have an airbrush, I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to try hand-painting effects like that again any time soon. Not until I have justified the ridiculous amount of time and money I have no invested into this infernal device tongue.png Kinda surprised it was as simple as that though, frankly, as I've used very similar techniques to very different results. Oh well.

I have had this idea myself for a very long time. almost as long as the newest SW dex. so Im glad you like it ;)

Rules are just rules. I think its quite a fun army to play. Not very competitive but its working very well for me.

Firepower: Well I have a "no airbrush" policy atm because I simply feel like its taking a shortcut. And i love to paint with my brushes. If i use an airbrush it would be to basecoat. Because basecoating is boring :P Also... I have no airbrush :P

I'm as proud of what I do with a brush as anyone, but there are just some things which look really cool, yet are so tedious (or sometimes impossible) and time intensive to do with a hand brush that the airbrush became a good buy. Also, basecoating sucks. I mean it's easy with the Templars, but otherwise it's a whole lot of extra work and time where no actual skill or finesse is needed.

Besides, I'm still doing plenty with paint brushes on my latest project. For the most part I'm using it to prime and basecoat with zenithal highlights. It lets you do a lot more per model because of the time you save, like how doing Templars makes spending time on scripture and fine details a bit easier to bear. msn-wink.gif

Also, I haaaaaate painting vehicles, which are the best subject for airbrushes. thumbsup.gif

Also, I haaaaaate painting vehicles, which are the best subject for airbrushes. thumbsup.gif

Amen brother! The storm raven is probably my worst painting experience ever! Took really long time to paint, my old airbrush broke(was just a gw one but still) during basecoating it and its differently not the best mini gw ever produced! I had to start painting another mini right after or i feared i would never touch a brush again..

Check out a couple of airbrush tutorials on youtube regarding vehicles, and tell me you wouldn't want one msn-wink.gif

Seriously, not including drying time and cleaning time for the airbrush (which is minimal with practice) you're looking at about 15 minutes to prime and basecoat a vehicle, with shading!

Pity all I have to use it on is a Drop Pod now. Still, so happy smile.png

Now if I could only make 15 models' worth of mold lines disappear in 15 minutes...

Anyway, your army still makes me happy aesthetically, but I still cringe at the griffon-horse-thing riders.

I have seen alot of tanks painted with airbrush and no doubt it looks amazing! And its pretty fast to. But i still keep my regular brush a little longer yet. If i painted tanks that way id have to paint my infantry like that to. Thats to much work.

I know my cavalry is a bit weird but GW started that with their thunderwolves! Haha..

Ah yes, to airbrush or not to airbrush.

Personally I think it is cheating but you can't argue with some of the spectacular results that can be achieved relatively quickly with practice. But I' m still with you Clausel, brushes all the way, at least until I can afford a proper air brush setup!

And moving on to the painting, another cracking squad!

What's next?

Edit: I may also be investing in some thunder birdies in the not so distant.....

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since I last updated this.. So here goes:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Black%20Templars/HPIM21171024x798_zps9e0f3597.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/Sir_Clausel/Black%20Templars/HPIM21211024x833_zps78326e17.jpg

What ya think?

Epic conversion work.  To nitpick- the tabard is a bit rough (sculpt wise), and the fist is awkwardly posed between a punch and a wind up.  I'd think it was shooting if his head was pointing the right way.

Aside from that, excellent work :)

Archived