Banner rules and stubborn question

Polythemus

Firstlywelcome back everyone from the abyss of the downed site. Two questions: the generic rule for banners states add "1" to assault results if a banner is locked in combat. Does this mean add 1" to assault distance? Second how does everyone view the stubborn rule? When is it beneficial? Seems like its only use is protection from a lost assault, but in that case youll still be fine because of atsknf? What gives?

stuborn means we never suffer negative ld modifiers. i cant see many examples of that being bad. +1 to combat resolution isnt much but every little helps.

means + 1to the final result of combat. so if you do 4 wounds you count as doing 5

No, it means, when calculating the results of assault, you add 1 to the number of wounds you have inflicted to determine who has won the assault.

which is exactly what is meant by "when you are calculating the combat result you add one - thus as the frater above said if YOU have done 4 wounds you COUNT-AS doing 5..."

I suppose im just unfamiliar with the term assault result. If it is refering to the counting wounds at the end of combat then i have my answer. But i still cant think of an ability that just reduces your leadership. Do chaos have something like this?

The big thing that polythemus says is "...if a banner is locked in combat" therefore it can never add to assault distance as it would not be locked in combat at that time.

He's asking if that's what it does. It's the assault results done at the end of combat he had gotten confused on.

To answer his first question as the other shave done above. It doesn't add to distance for charging, just like the guys above have said. It makes your assault result at the end of combat 1 higher than it would be otherwise. i.e. you did 4 wounds and your opponent did 4, normally it would be tie but if you had the banner, you would count as one higher. So your tally is actually 5, so you would win.

Problem is, if you lost the combat you might not want to stick around for more beating. And since the loyalist marines are impossible to destroy when swiping, all stubborn does is hinder them from getting out of a combat they most likely will die from. It also hinders all other things to shoot at the enemy since you are locked in combat against them. I'd say stubborn is thematic, but hardly an advantage in most cases...

Tyranid devourers impose a -1 Ld penalty to morale tests caused by their shots and I suspect the Dark Eldar have a number of similar abilities. Stubborn is certainly has its uses and I'll happily take the attitude that my guys in green are unlikely to run from a fight. All the more reason to shoot the enemy first!

Archived