Kinda disappointed.

Grim_Reaper46

I haven't had a chance to read the rules because I'm deployed atm. Anyways I looked at the models they released most of them are great, but I'm going to be honest it's not enough. They just focused on Deathwing & Ravenwing which is great because I am a ravenwing player mostly but where is the new Dark Angel core units like infantry, jump units, scouts? I would love to see DA jump units with their robes or maybe even a deathwing Dreadnought?

They didn't even bother to change up the Ravenwing battleforce. The front plates from DV, and Command squad are different with straight edges compared to the puffy wings in the BF. Asmodai? I'll take the old model anyday rather have him just pointing his finger. Where the hell is badass sword? Even Belial, just holding his sword up. Just had to point this out, I don't know if any other Dark Angel loyal fans out there feel the same way.

DA jump units are THE SUCK in the new dex. No storm shields, not even combat shields, no meltas other than for the Sarge, no bolters at all, even when non-jumpy, just two plasma pistols or flamers. Sorry, but I wouldn't be bothered to pretty these up, I'm looking elsewhere.

And for a nice DA themed Dread? Here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Dreadnoughts/DARK-ANGELS-VENERABLE-DREADNOUGHT.html

What!?! Our assault marines and their flamers are cheaper than Codex: Space Marines. They're optionally even cheaper if we don't upgrade the sergeant to a veteran. Yes, we don't have the options for storm or combat shields. You complain about no bolters but our sergeant has access to storm and combi bolters where Codex: Space Marines don't have this option. "No bolters even when non jumpy". Wouldn't that be a tactical squad's role? Our assault squads are hardly "the suck" unless of course you're comparing them to Blood Angels assault marines. Considering that assault marines are one of the Blood Angels "things" I would expect them to be better. Holding our assault squads up to Blood Angels standards is like holding their terminators and bikers up to our standards.

I don't know, maybe "the suck" is an overstatement, but coming from the other 6ed dex, traitors, where I have the Raptors for the same price, with Fear, additional rules like Marks, icons (seriously, Khorne Rage, Counter-attack, Furious Charge and distance reroll; or Slaaneshi I5 + FnP) or VotLW. Yes, not Fearless / ATSKNF, but with potential for cheap 5-man dual-melta suicide squads or Sllaneshi 15-man mop-up squads... Yeah, that's one area where the DA dex is nowhere close to the Chaos one, for sure.

Sounds like an acceptable difference in flavors between codices. I can't say I really want my assault marines to be so much cooler than Codex: Space Marines when I've already got so much going on in the terminator and bike departments.

Grim - I know why you'll initially feel disappointed, but give it time. I've spent the last day looking at builds and options, and tbh i'd say the codex is a win. Yes the focus is on DW/RW, as otherwise we're just C:SM. For me the big difference in Greenwing is the cost. At 1500pts, the previous codex gave me my half-battle company and no more. Now i'm looking at a 1500 demi-company that also has a Drop-pod dread, a Biker Techmarine, and a Scout Bolter/HB squad.

For Greenwing, I would like to have seen Assault meltaguns and a Plasma pred. Overall however I think Greenwing is now viable, where as before you were at a real disadvantage, you just couldn't get enough boots on the ground.

The Belial model is a bit meh, will be sticking with my Lysander conversion i think.

Dont know about you guys, but I have some spare marine bodies and they are getting jump packs. Who needs to strom shield and melta them? Meltas in our codex are right were they should be: In the RW squadrons.

Flamers and the price reduction make them a viable anti horde deepstriking option.

"No bolters even when non jumpy". Wouldn't that be a tactical squad's role?

I mentioned that as fitting in with the Lion's and Dark Angels' supposed superior tacticians/strategists schick that is so often forgotten.

Guess that'll still be limited to my successor's fandex.

If your worried about greenwing, fret not! For a 165pt command squad can make Tactical squads kill anything with salvo. We now have a better gun line than the vanilla dex, and pretty cheap too. Add in Ezekiel and a Divination libby and you could be putting out 100 or so Twin linked bolters a shooting phase.

Or, you could go for mech saturation and have a 5 man Tactical squad w/ Plasma gun, plasma pistol in a las/plas razorback for 175pts.

Devastator squads are in, too. They can take 4 lascannons for 150pts (175pts if you want flakk)

What I'm planning on doing for my successors is to keep the 1st and 2nd companies separate and for my elites, just take Co. Vet. squads for my elites. Never underestimate having extra slots for FA or HS type units. Company Veterans with heavy weapons = elite devastator squad, Company Veterans with pistols and CCW's = elite assault marines, Company Veterans with plasma pistols, plasmaguns, and plasma cannon = elite marine-killers. People underestimate the value of the "generic" elites I think.

Assault Marines are priced sensibly at first glance, until you realise there are half a dozen other units you'd rather use for those points and Fast Attack slots. They needed to be as cheap as Tactical Marines to stand a chance of being taken. As a player who'll most likely be facing DA in the future I'd honestly tell you I'd be happier to see my opponent using an Assault Marine squad instead of any other Fast Attack choice available.

In another Codex they might be useful, but internal synergy here is off.

Looking at Assault Squads...

I am surprised we do not have the option for Plasma-Guns, only Plasma Pistols... (just to stay with the plasma theme)

We are NOT Blood Angels, we do not have the option for a 5 man melta squad in a Razorback - to make BA-Mech-Spam

We do get two flamers in a 5 man squad, with sgt option for a combi-flamer... for 3 flamers total...

which is different from all other chapters atm i believe.

and that loadout runs under 106 pts which is about the same as a BA-AS squad with 1 flamer.

One advantage I see is the option to have/not have a vet sgt. thats saves us points, we lose ld and 1 attack, but unless you spend on a melee weapon, the +1atk is minimal. and with Azrael with Rites of battle the loss in ld is negated.

I think that Assault squads are much improved from last edition and viable.

but they are NOT BA... and we cannot Mech-Spam like they do.

Which is GOOD...

Im pretty disappointed. No psychic powers!! Thats censored.gif . Why no ”Terror Sight”? Mind worm is meh and only zeke can/has to take it. Why no other DA specific powers? pure laziness.

Our armory is lame and our relics suck. Blade of caliban, assault 3 bolt gun, combi-plasma cannon, and blades of reason really? Gay. No love for the ironwing just some minor repointing. Our fliers, omg :cuss happened here? Great models imo the best in the release but horribly expensive with lame rules and weapons.

3 bike command squad. Here is a squad that will never see play. To expensive and to fragile.

These are just some of the things that irritate me.

On the bright side deathwing is great. Greenwing is more balanced and playable. The ravenwing is alot better but still expencive.. Azzi and samuel are awesome.

Over all the codex is ok. I had hoped for more but this will have to do for another 7 years.

++ Use the Cuss emoticon if you must swear -- if you try to dodge the swear filter you will get a warning. I ++

The things I feel the Codex lacked are things that I wouldn't be bothered about investing points in. This is why we al have the benefit of Allied detachments. Yeah, we don't have sick-ass assault infantry. But I have the BA 'dex (or Wolf 'dex) so I'm going to have a small contingent of Angels of Absolution coloured Blood Claws with a Wolf Priest, or I'm gonna take some Death Company with Lemartes decked out in Consecrators livery bounding alongside a Baal Predator.

Tactical genius relies on thinking outside the box, and I'm making the most out of using what I need, when I need it, regardless of the venues I have to take to achieve it.

Throne, I may even use Scouts as counts-as Scouts.

Give your faith to the Emperor and he will provide.

Im pretty disappointed. No psychic powers!! Thats censored.gif . Why no ”Terror Sight”? Mind worm is meh and only zeke can/has to take it. Why no other DA specific powers? pure laziness.

Our armory is lame and our relics suck. Blade of caliban, assault 3 bolt gun, combi-plasma cannon, and blades of reason really? Gay. No love for the ironwing just some minor repointing. Our fliers, omg censored.gif happened here? Great models imo the best in the release but horribly expensive with lame rules and weapons.

3 bike command squad. Here is a squad that will never see play. To expensive and to fragile.

These are just some of the things that irritate me.

On the bright side deathwing is great. Greenwing is more balanced and playable. The ravenwing is alot better but still expencive.. Azzi and samuel are awesome.

Over all the codex is ok. I had hoped for more but this will have to do for another 7 years.

I can live with no DA specific psychic powers. The book ones are pretty good, and most people are just going to roll divination anyways. I'm not sure why you believe our armory is lame, we finally have access to the things everyone else has had for years.

I like Lion's Roar. A plasma cannon with an assault profile? yes, please. Sure it's one shot, but It's a fun item. Mace of redemption is sweet, and will be great against multi-wound models (especially chaos!). The only one that I think is bad, is the shroud of heroes. 50 pts for feel no pain? no way. The bearer doesn't even get shrouded unless he's by himself.

What exactly were you expecting our vehicles to get? They're pointed much better now, especially the predator annihilator.

The 3 man bike squad is a little fragile, but with skilled rider and an apothecary they'll take a beating. You can always attach an IC and allow them to soak wounds for the squad. If you're worried about the heldrake, a power field generator is only 30 points to give every model in 3" a 4+ invul.

I think your assessment of the codex is a bit harsh.Time will tell, but right now it seems like a balanced, fun codex with only a "blegh" units.

The Bike Command at 3 is very disappointing imo...

Granted before it was 3 but you could add 3 more bikers.

It should have the option of adding up to at least 3 more black nights.

This makes RW Standard bearers pretty fragile, and the apothecary not really worth the points.

Although you can add an IC on Bike and Sammael... and two tech-marines with servo-harnesses on bikes...

Giving you a command squad of 7 Bikers... 4 of which can peal off at any time...

Hmmm...at 9"

3 plasma Talons = 6 shots str ap 2 twin linked (apoth, stand, champ)

2 plasma cutters = 2 shots str 7 ap2 twin linked (2 tech)

3 twin linked bolters = 6 shots ap 5 twin linked (2 tech, 1 IC)

1 twin linked SB = 2 shots ap 5 twin linked or Plasma Cannon str 7 ap2 blast

cost is ugly at 170, 95, 95, 85, 200 = 645 pts for a 7 man hit and run deathsquad..

wow, that sucks about the lack of options in Jump troops. as a greenwing player, that is discouraging. what the hell is gw doing. it seems they are forgetting WE are the reason for their success. they should have at least let us keep what we had in the last dex.

wow, that sucks about the lack of options in Jump troops. as a greenwing player, that is discouraging. what the hell is gw doing. it seems they are forgetting WE are the reason for their success. they should have at least let us keep what we had in the last dex.

The only thing assault marines lost from the last codex is about 30 points (20 if you buy the upgrade to vet sarge). They could only take plasma pistols before, but now can take plasma pistols or a flamer. Not to mention the sergeant has access to much better wargear. IMO, assault marines never really had a place in DA armies, but at least now they're cheap enough people can use them if they want.

Guess people will be dissapointed we dont excell at everything and we dont have I WIN!!!! Buttons.

Relax guys, we finally found our niche and everything is cool and reasonable. If you dont like it I will proxy my new DA as codex marines and you can play with the 4th edition DA codex without the FAQS OFC, that will remind you msn-wink.gif

Archived