Keeping 1st and 2nd separate

Julgolax

I would like to make a thread to gather more specific information for the idea I posted in another thread.

I had said that I plan to keep my 1st company terminators/LRs/Dreadnoughts and 2nd company bikers/LS separate from my other companies entirely, unless I'm doing a mixed force of course.

The plan is, to keep the Company Master, command squad, chaplain 6 Tactical, 2 Assault, 2 Deveastator, complementary Rhino's and then fill out my elite slots with 5-man Company Veteran Squads loaded up to complement my existing slots. 5-man Co Vet Sq with heavy weapons, stick em with a Razorback, and treat them as Devastators, 5-man Co Vet Sq with power swords and plasma pistols/guns and stick them in a Razorback and treat them as Assault Marines, and fill up the third slot with a mortis dreadnought toting quad-linked autocannons. (2 twin-linked autocannons)

What do you all think?

I'm a little confused as to the reasoning behind this idea and what purpose it serves? Are you talking about a list for large 40K games or Apocalypse - or simply how they'll be organised in your display cabinet!?

You can organise your models/lists how you like and if a Battle Company is what you want to do then so be it. It's been done plenty of times before and isn't ground breaking or exceptional. They're your models and the choice is yours - but to what end? The Codex specifically states how the exact number of DW and RW is unknown and how they turn up alongside their green battle brothers more often than not (Suggesting far more exist than Codex limitations would dictate). Limiting yourself really serves no fluff based application of force. Having 1st and 2nd company dudes serving alongside 3rd/5th/whatever is perfectly acceptable from a fluffy or 'realistic' standpoint.

I'm not knocking the idea - just wondering what you're trying to achieve with it. In my opinion, battle companies can be fun to build and play with and offer us a great chance to put a well balanced and presented tide of PA psychopaths in front of our opponent - but to deny yourself the shiny elements of DW and RW seems to be a needless sacrifice. Up to you at the end of the day though. If you want to rock the Greenwing in force - so be it!!! If you only want a Battle Company and to use the DW and RW as and when required - I'm not sure what suvggestions or ideas you hope to glean. The inherent limitations in such an idea prevent much customisation.

I think you could probably be better of using C:SM with your idea and use any RW or DW forces as an Allied detachment.

But yes, as Danosef mentioned, there is no wrong or right way to field your troops, as long as you bring death and judgement to your enemies alongside camaraderie and beer to the Gaming Halls!

Archived