Dakka standard, OMG

Kastor Krieg

GW write and put to print many things which need clarification - of which our own Codex is a prime example - but this is one of those rules that I feel doesn't even need it. There will always be someone who doesn't understand the clearest of direction and this is one of those cases. Some of the arguments for Storm Bolters, Heavy Bolters etc being classed as Boltguns in this case are just plain crazy. The Standard of Devastation rules state 'Boltgun'. Now, as VERY clearly stated in our Codex (and so the one source of what Boltgun means to us) the definition of a Boltgun is :- 'Boltgun - Range 24" S4 AP5 Rapid Fire' . That's it. Not Storm, Heavy, Vulcan, Avenger 'variant' Boltguns. Just Boltguns. All the others have their own entry.

Let GW off the hook with this one - they probably expected people to have a greater level of common sense than is being applied in some cases. They should spend their time clarifying things like why in the Emprah's name they gave Nephilim Fighters useless rules like 'Missile Lock'...

Well, that's what happens when you teach an Orc player to read and then give them an Astartes Codex -

Chainswords at dawn. And I'm not Codex-compliant, blasphemer.

Chainsword? Don't you mean Chainaxe?

I mean Black Sword and Armour of Faith.

If only this was a simple case of RAW versus RAI, it isn't though, its selective interpretation (in extremis) for benefit. Beyond even the usual RAW malarky.

Because I'm SURELY going to play it like that and force it down everyone's throats at the FLGS I work in. YEAH! biggrin.png

It's just a funny curiosity and indication that per RAW the rules are broken again. Of course nobody will allow this to be played like that, but it's there, glaring at you. A boltgun is a boltgun is a boltgun, is all there is.

Except according to you're interpretation, a boltgun is a bolt pistol, is a boltgun, is a storm bolter, is a heavy bolter, is a vulcan heavy bolter. There is no precedent (AFAIK) for GW referring to a class of weapon. Every time there is a rule modifying a weapons profile, it has been for the specific weapon in the rule. Any exceptions are mentioned, as in the case of special ammo and combi-weapons.

The next person that calls it a dakka banner or dakka pole or derp-di-derpderp needs to get banned for life!

RAAARRRR nuke.gif verymad.gif

wallbash.gif

im also pretty sure that bolter is meant to mean bolter, not anything starting with or containing the letter B.

If only this was a simple case of RAW versus RAI, it isn't though, its selective interpretation (in extremis) for benefit. Beyond even the usual RAW malarky.

Because I'm SURELY going to play it like that and force it down everyone's throats at the FLGS I work in. YEAH! biggrin.png

It's just a funny curiosity and indication that per RAW the rules are broken again. Of course nobody will allow this to be played like that, but it's there, glaring at you. A boltgun is a boltgun is a boltgun, is all there is.

Except according to you're interpretation, a boltgun is a bolt pistol, is a boltgun, is a storm bolter, is a heavy bolter, is a vulcan heavy bolter. There is no precedent (AFAIK) for GW referring to a class of weapon. Every time there is a rule modifying a weapons profile, it has been for the specific weapon in the rule. Any exceptions are mentioned, as in the case of special ammo and combi-weapons.

GK and their Suck-Your-Plasma-Dry doo-hickie...

Except, for example, Power Weapons class? Force Weapons class? Grenades? These all have their own rules. Don't see why not a rule for Boltguns now.

I think a flavour text has no bearing on rules thus a vulcan mega bolter despite being a bolt type weapon is not affected by the same thing that affect bolters.

It's not flavour text. It's the "BOLTGUNS" heading of the weapon entry in the BRB.

You need to add this to the ongoing FAQ/Errata etc topic Kaster Krieg as it's something that does need clarification from a RAW perspective.

Yep, just trying to figure out how the entry will be worded, lol.

The next person that calls it a dakka banner or dakka pole or derp-di-derpderp needs to get banned for life!

Is it OK to call the awkward chapel-LS a DerpSpeeder though? :P

im also pretty sure that bolter is meant to mean bolter, not anything starting with or containing the letter B.

It does not say "bolter" at all. It says "boltguns" - which is another name for the S4 AP5 Rapid Fire bolters, BUT also a name for the whole range of "anything that shoots bolts", from bolt pistol to Vulcan Mega Bolter.

Except, for example, Power Weapons class? Force Weapons class? Grenades? These all have their own rules. Don't see why not a rule for Boltguns now.

Because under force and power weapons it says to look to the model to determine type. No such rules for bolguns I'm afraid. Otherwise, what's to stop me from saying all my tacs are carrying storm bolters?

Because under force and power weapons it says to look to the model to determine type. No such rules for bolguns I'm afraid. Otherwise, what's to stop me from saying all my tacs are carrying storm bolters?

The fact that "Boltgun" in wargear listings means a single weapon, not a weapon CLASS / TYPE, like what the dakkaflag's rules are referring to.

I cant believe that people haven't noticed yet that a lib with prescience can make that even more sick.

im thinking of taking ezekiel and a lvl 2 lib and getting divination, then a battle company with the banner and just hosing everything down with super accurate rapid fire boltgun shots!

I cant believe that people haven't noticed yet that a lib with prescience can make that even more sick.

im thinking of taking ezekiel and a lvl 2 lib and getting divination, then a battle company with the banner and just hosing everything down with super accurate rapid fire boltgun shots!

Oh, we did notice :>

Is it OK to call the awkward chapel-LS a DerpSpeeder though? tongue.png

yes, that is fine

The fact that "Boltgun" in wargear listings means a single weapon, not a weapon CLASS / TYPE, like what the dakkaflag's rules are referring to.

No you are interpreting the Standard to be referring to a weapon type based on nothing other than some extremely convoluted and questionable reasoning. Nothing in the Standards rules even so much as suggests that its referring to anything other than boltguns/bolters.

Also, you should probably refrain from accusing GW of making an immense cockup based solely on an extremely shaky/questionable/dubious interpretation of what is actually quite a straightforward rule. The error here lies in your wild interpretation not with GW's quite clear rule.

It is a question that needs FAQ'd because there are such things as 'translations' to other languages, and it isn't always clear...

Being we are on the internet...

Of course some people just like to harp on and accuse anytone who doesn't see everything from their own perspective as...

a) Cheating

B) Convoluted

c) Ignorant and stupid

So please send a nicely worded question in... do not forget to include Combi-Bolters and Hurricane Bolters, as well as Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter, etc...

Well, that's what happens when you teach an Orc player to read and then give them an Astartes Codex -

Getting cold feet? It's OK, I'll take the Chainsword naked, and you can have your fancy Power sword and Armor - it'll make it an almost fair fight for you...

I'm pretty sure this list you posted can't be understood as a complete list of all "Boltguns" in the game, unless you want to tell me that e.g. an Angelus Bolter is not a Boltgun (or every other special boltgun they add in the future).

Boltgun is the thing rapidfire, S4 and 24'' range. A hurricane bolter is indeed just 3 twin-linked boltguns, so those would work with the standard.

So does that mean that when my Wargear entry says my model is armed with a "Boltgun" I can choose for him to be armed with a Vulcan Mega-bolter "Boltgun"?

Laughed my guts off, thank you sir! If you do it I want to see a pic of said model.

While it doesnt happen a lot I have to side with Maddoc on this one. All his points are valid I am afraid.

In regards to the banner: Is the Boomstick a viable term or do I get banned for that too XD

Giving Landrain's usual passive aggressive bull the attention it deserves and ignoring it... down.gif

The majority of people appear to have no problem understanding that "units within 6" of the Standard treat their boltguns as Salvo 2/4 weapons" means precisely what it says - any DA unit within 6" of the Standard treats their boltguns/bolters (should they have them) as Salvo 2/4 while within range of the Standard. Pretty clear, hardly something anybody could reasonably call confusing.

It would be interesting to hear if Kastor Krieg's Codex is a foreign language (non-English) edition, since thats the only possible reason I can think of for something as clear cut as the above (in the English edition Codex at least) to be so wildly misinterpreted. unsure.png

It is a question that needs FAQ'd because there are such things as 'translations' to other languages, and it isn't always clear...

Being we are on the internet...

Of course some people just like to harp on and accuse anytone who doesn't see everything from their own perspective as...

a) Cheating

cool.png Convoluted

c) Ignorant and stupid

Yeah, unfortunately. Thanks for understanding, mate.

So please send a nicely worded question in... do not forget to include Combi-Bolters and Hurricane Bolters, as well as Bolt Pistol, Storm Bolter, etc...

I'll do that with the whole bunch of other issues from the Errata, it's written down there already, so I won't forget.

Getting cold feet? It's OK, I'll take the Chainsword naked, and you can have your fancy Power sword and Armor - it'll make it an almost fair fight for you...

Imma zeal ya off me lawn, boy!

Archived