Guardians of the Covenant

Forgefather

Hooded brothers (and possibly sisters?) of the Unforgiven,

I recently got my hands on the new Codex. Overall, I'm impressed. The artwork, save for a few pictures, is nice. The rules, acceptable (aside from some typos and silly mistakes), but what I wanted to talk about is me finally putting together my Dark Vengances models and painting them. They're on the table next to me, primed black, as we speak, and I've been looking trough colour schemes of the Dark Angels and their Successive Chapters to pick one suitable to my taste. I decided to roll with the Guardians of the Covenant (the Chaos models ending up as Word Bearers), but the only thing that's holding me back from painting them all that way is the simple fact that I'm not so happy with their Deathwing/Ravenwing Companies (although named differently -- I'd have to come up with something yet) colour schemes, which appear to be the exact same as their general Company colour scheme. I've been playing around with ideas (because honestly, the coolest thing about a Dark Angel army to me is the 3 colourschemes, so vastly different, all in the same army) of painting them a little different.

Regular Company Marines will be painted Leadbelcher Silver, washed with either Nuln Oil or Reikland Fleshshade, with Khorne Red robes (highlighted with Mephiston Red and possibly washed with Reikland Fleshshade again), lenses painted Ceramite White washed Bieltan Green.

I wanted to paint the Terminators the same colour as the robes (Khorne Red-Mephiston Red-Reikland Fleshshade) to tie them to the regular marines and red robes. I'm only slightly concerned about how red marines with red robes would look (stupid, probably), but I could try to give them bleached robes instead.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with the Ravenwing squads yet. I'd want to paint them something that's tied into the regular colour scheme, so preferably white/black/red/metal or a combination of those, but I'm a bit lost here. I want to mimic the Deathwing/Ravenwing concepts but I'm at a loss here. Anyone got any solid advice, or some info about how they painted them?

Cheers, Forgefather

hey there, I share you pain on the naming of the deathwing/ravenwing with the angels of vengeance, as well as the shared color scheme instead of split. I am okay with mine to a point, but to help you with yours, perhaps some suggestions. Your deathwing idea sounds great, give them the deep red armor, but instead of bone cloth, maybe go with a black cloth. This would allow you to tie it in with the rest of the color scheme, and also add the white script to it if you desired. Also have you thought about making giving the terminators metal helmets with a red strip on it, so they look less like word bearers also. It would still add the metalic to the scheme but not be the exact same as the rest of your marines. This way you can still do a black shoulderpad with the white icons.

As for your ravenwing, well you could go with black armor and the red robes, but do metalica wings, and give them a metalic ravenwing icon, or a metalic shoulderpad with red ravenwing icon.

Also another option is swapping the deathwing colors and ravenwing colors and doing a red ravenwing with the red bikes, planes and speeders, black robes, and metalic wings, and doing black deathwing, with bone robes, and maybe a metalic helm still, with a red stripe or metalic shoulderpad with the red icons. That might be a better approach, as I think having a red ravenwing would look cooler on the guardians, and black is a death color also, so you could say that their deathwing still holds tribute to the dark angels original colors.

Just painted my first two Guardian of the Covenenant models, a Sergeant and one of the Terminators. I did a few mock-ups but nothing concrete yet. Red Dark Angel Terminators look wrong, out of place. I feel Dark Angels ought to be dark green, black, beige, but red just doesn't feel right. Will probably paint the Ravenwing models largely silver because of this, too.

Black Terminators are still possible; still not sure about the bikers. I've been playing around with the idea of doing certain parts of the armour, like a shoulderplate, arm, or kneecap in a specific colour; Black for the Terminators, red for the bikers, silver for the marines, something like that. Will see if I can put up some pictures soon.

Archived