A little help from more well knowing angels.

Ill be blunt. I've never really bothered with the dark angels even With the new codex I'm decisively meh.

However flicking through the white dwarf my imagination was perked a little. I'd probably need the codex for a more in-depth understanding but I'm not really willing to do that for what might be a fleeting fancy.

Anyway ill get to the point. As far as I can gather the dark angels and all their successors work together and collaborate to hunt the fallen. However what If one kept itself apart. I wanted to know if it would be possible in anyway that instead of hunting the fallen down and killing/ imprisoning them they purified them through pain both of the body and mind, to recruit them into their ranks and have then fight and die as true sons of the lion.

i had an idea similar to this. I don't think its feasible for an entire chapter to be made up of them but I thought using the vanilla dex a unit of "Repenitent Fallen" would be a really flavorful counts as Legion of the Damned squad.

A little reminiscent of the Angels of Absolution, who believe they have been, well, forgiven (the Chapter, not the Fallen). So they hunt the Fallen by duty, but not to redeem themsevles.

I know the concept has come up before with someone looking to do a successor, and I don't think it is completely baseless, but I do think there would be quite a deal of strain between the other Unforgiven and this successor if they were made up of Fallen and tried to stay undetected of the rest (Not to mention that Chapters are usually started with authorization of the High Lords of Terra or by a Chapter Master I suppose).

In fact, the only way I could see them tolerating such an act is if they had set the successor up themselves for those purposes. Rearming repentant Fallen in the name of the Lion. The mysteriousness of the Consecrators and the ancient relics they bare could be a nod to such a thing which Azrael was noted as requesting the creation of himself.

I will note that I do not think near enough Fallen have been found to even make one Company in a Chapter. I think if they were folded into a Chapter like that, they would be among it's lnner Circle and leadership.

You're not alone.

I've been working on and off for a while now on fluff ideas for a Successor Chapter whose dirty secret was that their Inner Circle members only delivered hopeless cases (obvious Chaos Space Marines) to the Rock. Those whom they could bring to genuine repentance, they used as a sort of Honour Guard for their Interrogator Chaplains (basically, just a Command Squad).

As an alternative to Legion of the Damned, you might also consider Death Company from the Blood Angels codex. (Though one may argue that the more shooty Legionnaires are a better fit for the DA... Plus Death Company isn't terribly popular due to lack of scoring status.)

Lol thank god someone had a similar idea. Thought I was going to come back on to shouts of heretic!

I didn't see a whole chapter like this but imagined in time some of the top members being ex fallen. Whether this would be good or bad I haven't made my mind up. Could lead to the ultimate redemption with the chapter dying to a man against a daemonic horde threatening 'the rock' or it could be an interesting twist for a new chaos army for me.

HERETIC!!!

:P

I've seen this idea tried before, with varying degrees of success. The best I have seen is a DIY chapter where a bunch of Fallen eliminate the training cadre of a new chapter and take over the Chapter that way. These Fallen are long dead, but they leave their legacy behind of a chapter that has nothing to do with the DA.

As for this idea, I, for one, think it is not fluffily right. However, it is feasible if you want to do it. My main gripes is that the DA 'Legion' are all trained in the same way, they are raised with the same mindset, anyone who does not agree with that mindset does not advance. The Chaplains are master-psychologists who have centuries of experience in analyzing their brethren. The concept of repentance of a Fallen basically means death for them, quick, clean Emperors Mercy or they receive a long, drawn out death at the hands of a Chaplain.

However, this said, if you can argue convincly why a Chapter would have chosen this path, then go for it!

It would seem odd at best. As Bohemond said, the only repetance offered to the fallen is a clean death. Especially considering the new fluff, Asmodais state of mind is...missing a couple of Screws? I would extend that a bit to the rest of the interrogators.

If you feel happy with the idea do it. If I faced your army on the table I would have one question though: Does my inner circle rule vs your marines still count ? ;)

Archived