Pure green wing

jeremy1391

I was thinking with the bringing of prices down to the manageable level for green troops who is thinking of running a pure green/iron wing force?

Our assault and tac marines are better than vanilla marines and they are cheaper to boot!

Also whirlwind and predator tanks are cheaper than the vanilla counterparts, so there might be something to all green...... Well in my case black you'll see soon ;)

For comparison

Vanilla tac

X10, missile, plasma, power weapon 195

Combat tactics

DA Tac

X10, missile, plasma, power weapon 185

Plus stubborn

Vanilla assault

X10 x2 flamer, power weapon 225

DA assault

X10 x2 flamer, power weapon 195

Stubborn

I wouldn't discount Combat Tactics too heavily, also, your Tac Squad is sans Vet. Sgt in the Dark Angels. When completely even a DA and Vanilla tac squad tend to be pretty even in price. Now, I will admit being able to leaves Vet. Sgts. at home is a huge boon. But comparing Grim Resolve to Combat Tactics, well, Combat Tactics is the more versatile and useful of the two. It allows a Marine squad to get out of a combat where it would be better served running, thus leaving the enemy out in the open.

Grim Resolve's main upshot is that it makes us real tarpits in hand-to-hand with even normal troops. If you don't wipe us out in combat then we are likely staying still instead of running. This is helpful if you can hit the enemy with a nasty counter-charge unit, but that requires more planning than having your dudes run away to allow the rest of your forces to open up.

That said, our assault squads are cheap melee tarpits that may come in handy compared to our other Fast Attack assault slot. Ravenwing Knights have some nifty tricks and a similar mobility profile, but for tieing down a unit in hand-to-hand you want a lot of bodies. Our Assault Squads may find a good niche there. Either that or as a mobile special-weapon platform. A combi and two plasma pistols or flamers in one unit could be great in some cases.

But for an all Battle Company list I think the Standard of Devastation, Tacticals and cheap Devastators will be our meat and potatoes. The Tac-wall around the shrine-like LRC emenating waves of pure dakka and the Devs in back dealing with troublesome units. Predators will likely figure in to things as well, when a codex has cheap access to a given predator build, it always comes in to things. I wonder if this will get people painting green LRCs more often?

Even then, I would find it hard not to place some Deathwing in there. A squad or two alongside Belial (so that you can use that percision drop) coming in to tie up an enemy flank or grab and objective. Probably turn 2 to maximize the effect and wait for the enemy to shift and present some weaknesses in his line. I suppose that deep striking Assaults with melta bomb/fist sergeants could drop in an provide cheap examples of this unit (or Company Vet squads in drop pods with loads of special weapons and combi-weapons (perhaps an attached Librarian?). Hmm, that sounds like fun as well.

Damn, why must I always have these ideas at work when I am not next to the damn codex!

While I agree that combat tactics is useful I am always playing stubborn armies crimson/imperial fists so getting stubborn for free makes me happy :)

At of the sacred standards really come into their own with the battle company, with counter attack/salvo/feel no pain bubbles but I guess time will tell which builds will be the best.

Archived