Deathwing Command Squad Loadout

Dark_Master

I guess he wips out his Astartes blade like other marines.

The SoB love it when this happens.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The BA arguement I remembered a few seconds ago: It was a discussion on what gear could the sergeant in their terminator squads could swap since they have a similar entry in the bestiary to the deathwing I.E. A terminator profile and a sergeant profile. This ended with the acknowledgement, that since he has his own profile he is a different entity (which we now know, at the time they didint count as characters as they do now at least) therby access to a diffirent wargear set than the squads terminators. Or that roughly

Bottom line: Since the deathwing terminator is changing category, thereby becoming a dw apothecary (with the prerequisite that he has a PF to sacrifice) he is a different entity of the same squad, thereby he has access only to what his profile allows him and that would be a stormbolter and the narthecium only.

In most of the other cases ive seen you do not upgrade to a seargent so that really doesnt solve things. As we can upgrade weapons and then to a champ or apoc as long as we follow what swaps are required for apoc. Once he does become an apoc he is a seperate things with only options available to apocs. As i said before as it is written you can do these swaps in whatever order pleases you, I hope that they fix this to make it more clear.

To follow your example chaos also works like this, you have an aspiring champ(manditory) and he can only choose options available to aspiring champs. I wish ours was as clear cut as this, but it is not.

My go-to DW unit is probably going to be the knights, which means that the Command Squad will only come out in big games with multiple DW units.

To that end, I'll be taking the Standard of Fortitude rather than the Apothecary for the big bubble of FnP.

So, I'll probably run:

Champion

Standard Bearer (SB / CF)

Termie 1 - TH / SS

Termie 2 - TH / SS / CML

Termie 3 - LC / LC

Run them with a Chaplain for rerolls to hit.

Maybe ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My reading of the codex entry is that it is intended that you can no longer put a CML on a unit with assault weapons. I will admit that the actual wording is vague, but I'm betting that when the more complete FAQ comes out, it will clarify this to be either CML or assault weapons, but not both. I wouldn't permanently glue up a termie with both until after the next round of FAQing.

I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that you can't take a CML on an assault weapon terminator. All the other heavy weapon options say replace storm bolter with X. While the CML option just says Take. No replace, just take. As The Mind Taker says, we are takers with the CML. tongue.png

For larger games my standard set-up will be:

Champion

Standard Bearer w/ Storm bolter, powerfist, Standard of Fortitude

1 DW Terminator w/ Thunder hammer & storm shield

1 DW Terminator w/ Twin lightning claws & Cyclone Missile Launcher

1 DW Terminator w/ Twin lighting claws

This is mostly a reworking of my 4E squad which was loaded up with lightning claws (this was back when TH/SS was a pretty bad trade-off).  I had to rip some arms off but I figure this unit will be quite flexible.  The inclusion of a shooting weapon other than a CML allows the squad to take advantage of Split Fire to allow the CML to target tanks while the unit charges infantry.  In close combat they will mostly be helpful in dealing with a variety of targets, from hordes of infantry to other terminators (lots of AP2 in there).  But since the unit comes in at around 340 points (much cheaper sans banner) it is not for small games.  But when I used them the banner ended up paying for itself four times over.  It is an odd feeling playing Deathwing and not losing a single model for the first couple turns, but the SoF makes everything tough.

Probably wont pull out Command Squads in smaller games (either that or leave the DWK at home), I'd rather have another scoring unit at that level.

It's not the wording of CML that concerns me, it is the wording of the assault weapon options. Those say "replace all weapons with..." A lot of people assume that there is an order to these things, that you can do one upgrade first, and then another, and if you do it in the right order, you can have your cake and eat it too. However, that is an assumption. Nothing says that you upgrade squads in this fashion. I think this is a big, and not obviously correct assumption. I think it's quite possible that when they said "replace all weapons," that their intent was, "if you have assault weapons, they replace all other weapon options on the model." Now, of course, this is speculation, and I'm not trying to convince everyone that I'm right. My main point is just that I don't think it is as clear cut as some people believe, and I'd hate to see people glue up their TH/SS + CML termies and then get irate when a FAQ comes out that says you can't do that. If you're that confident in GW's product wording, go for it. But if you can handle having some blue-tacked arms for a few more weeks, I'd say hold off just to be safe.

I'm just trying to protect my battle brothers. The warp is full of horrific faqs and errata. The price of legal models is eternal vigilance.

It's not the wording of CML that concerns me, it is the wording of the assault weapon options. Those say "replace all weapons with..." A lot of people assume that there is an order to these things, that you can do one upgrade first, and then another, and if you do it in the right order, you can have your cake and eat it too. However, that is an assumption. Nothing says that you upgrade squads in this fashion. I think this is a big, and not obviously correct assumption. I think it's quite possible that when they said "replace all weapons," that their intent was, "if you have assault weapons, they replace all other weapon options on the model." Now, of course, this is speculation, and I'm not trying to convince everyone that I'm right. My main point is just that I don't think it is as clear cut as some people believe, and I'd hate to see people glue up their TH/SS + CML termies and then get irate when a FAQ comes out that says you can't do that. If you're that confident in GW's product wording, go for it. But if you can handle having some blue-tacked arms for a few more weeks, I'd say hold off just to be safe.

I'm just trying to protect my battle brothers. The warp is full of horrific faqs and errata. The price of legal models is eternal vigilance.

You know I didn't think of it like that. My apologies for sounding brash. But I'm still pretty confident that assault weapons can take a CML. Though I agree, if you're concerned you should probably blue tack, or magnetize :D

After doing a little more research, I got directed to the Ork FAQ, where one entry clearly talks about taking one upgrade "first" and then making another upgrade after to achieve a certain result.

That would tend to set some current precedent for it being legal to swap SB/PF for TH/SS and THEN add the CML. I remain cautious about gluing up such a model, but I'm coming around to the other side of the argument.

Archived