4 Ravenwing Command Squads in a single FOC

RayJ

If you're like me, you're a fan of the Black Knights, and love your fast attack options too. This is usually a little points prohibitive, but this army list trick can help you when you need to free up fast attack slots and have 70 points to spare.

Each HQ slot you buy (other than techmarines and command squads of any kind) gets you the option for a techmarine, which can take a bike.

HQs on bikes (other than RW command squads) open up additional RW command Squads.

So for a single FOC you can get HQ on bike (Chaplain, Librarian, Sammael), unlock Techmarine and give bike, and then grab 2 RW command squads. You could also use that trick to grab 2 power armored command squads on top of that, but what we're really looking at is maximizing Black Knights so FA can be used on speeders, fliers, and assault marines.

Just a fun little trick that works out with the current wording in the book.

This is a preview of what's to come when I redo my Playing Dark Angels series for 6th Edition!

Yeah, it was discussed before - you can take 2 regular HQs (one on bike, on in TDA), 2 techmarines on bikes plus 6 (yes, six) various command squads. All that in 2 HQ slots.

Edit:You can't have 2 PA command squads in one slot, as techamrine does not unlock PA command squad, only RW one.

Ah, I see they specified that Techmarines can't unlock PA command squads. Still Sammael, belial, and the other HQs can unlock multiple command squads with the right wargear.

My current list is only using 2 command squads, so I'm not at a problem, but I can see how they would change it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use it while it's an option. You can always use those bikes as normal Black Knights.

Well techmarines aren't HQ choices that get command squads. For any special character, master, librarian or chaplain on a bike you get a command squad and a techmarine unlocked. Your techmarine wont unlock an extra command squad as he isn't an actual HQ choice, but an HQ upgrade. If you look at the way the codex's HQ section is layed out, command squads and techmarines are in subsequent boxxes while the other HQ choices are not put in boxxes, but are just entries on the page, while all the command squad and the techmarine are extra upgrades to your HQ choice.

Can you point to a games framework that defines "HQ Upgrade" (or a similar term) the way you say? I am not familiar with this terminology, and in order to function that way, it must be defined in the Rulebook or Codex.

The layout is done the way it is for visual cues only, and the choices in the greyed boxes list their restrictions, but are still very much HQ Choices. Otherwise, they would not need to call out exclusions such as Techmarines and Command Squads not allowing the purchase of other Techmarines.

PA command squad clearly states that it's not unlocked by techmarine. RW command squad does not have this restriction. Please also note that they have stated that command squads ("free" HQ, same as techmarine) does not unlock command squads.Ergo - techmarine on bike does unlock RW command squad.

Archived