Storm Talon and Land Speeder Storm as Ally for Ravenwing?

antacidbrn

I still cannot believe the Land Speeder Storm and the Storm Talon are not options in the new codex! I love the models; they just look and feel like perfect Ravenwing support units. Given the amount of great Fast Attack units we now have, I am actually happy these are available as allies so they do not compete with the existing Ravenwing options. The question is; what would be the best ally combination with Codex Space Marines to bring both of these units onto the table?

My thoughts; Space Marine Librarian with Jump Pack, Close Combat Scouts (as mandatory Troop Choice), Land Speeder Storm with Missile Launcher, and Storm Talon as Fast Attack.

Strategy would be to run the Land Speeder Storm in the shadow of the Darkshroud with scouts embarked and use ranged attacks and support any would be threats with scouts; Storm Talon wreaks havoc in the skies to save points on Nephilim. Librarian keeps pack with Bikers with the JP and buffs the force with Psychic abilities.

Thoughts? Any better units to ally with from Codex Space Marines?

Why a landspeeder storm, seriously? I don't see it as very useful in all honestly. Yes it can deny teleport homers and chaos icons, but its an open topped speeder and the only reason you are wasting all those points is to get that and a slightly better flyer. Your librarian wouldn't really fit in well, he would be the only one with a jump pack, and none of the boons that dark angel librarians already have, and he costs more, thats 125 points alone right their. You would be honestly better off just sticking to a nephelim, and taking more ravenwing than spending the points for an ally. Thats just my point of view and my honest opinion but it doesn't seem like that small ally detachment is really worth it if you are fielding a raven wing army to start with.

@Midnight Angel - I guess I should clarify, I have never played a game with the Land Speeder Storm, I just love the model.

On paper LSS, it sounds like a small points investment for a taxi for a scout troops squad. I want a completely mobile force and Tacticals in a Rhino don't fit the Ravenwing vibe. I was not all that worried about it being open topped because it would ride with the DarkShroud in cover and I liked the shooting range of the Cerberus Launcher. The embarked scouts would be there for targets of opportunity and to support the DarkShorud and LSS if they are assaulted.

Yes, I am not a big fan of the Space Marine HQ choices. All are very expensive and do not do much to help the force out. Perhaps a Captain on a bike with a Power Fist would be better?

what shooting range, I can't find any shooting range on the launcher, all i can find is that it is used to stun units the scouts charge, meaning if they charge from the open topped storm, they can stun them which only reduces leadership by 2. It doesn't do anything other than that, its not a extremely handy gun, but it does make it easier for the meager scouts to route their opponents if the small squad manages to actually win combat. Bear in mind that scouts aren't the best combat fighters, at best they get two attacks, but they have to hit them and their aren't as good at hitting as normal marines. Then they don't really pack much of a punch either, only if the sergeant takes a power weapon or something. They are still not that great and the biggest reason most marine players take a storm is for the teleport disruption making it harder for deepstrike units to come in, or drop pods from landing near it. Its not bad but the options you are looking at, as mentioned, you might be better suited to stick to just our codex and take more ravenwing, as the marine codex doesn't really offer anything worth taking other than the storm talon, but thats negotiable. If anything, Blood angels would be better suited as allies for death company, priests, dc dreads, baals, or stormravens.

Honestly, I don't see the LS storm matching the ravenwing MO. I mean, they're job is to hunt the fallen, why would they taxi scouts around? Maybe if our scouts were more like SWs, but then we're straying awfully far from the codex astartes...

in regards to your mobile force

c:sm

bike captain

4 bikers and an attackbike

290 points plus upgrades

granted RW are better bikers (at long last!) and its more expensive than libby + scouts + storm but this may keep your theme closer. paint them up as a successor chapter that is 'training' with the real ravenwing. canuse them to camp home objectives

Seriously, the talon is better, but not better enough to justify taking an unwanted hq and troops choice. I'm not entirely against allies, but it's hard to make them pay off. The one example that comes to mind is splashing eldar into a tau force. Farseer gives them the psycher that they lack. Put him on a jet bike and embed him in a guardian jetbike squadron for a fast survivable scoring unit. Then take your choice of assaulty units (Scorpions, Banshees, or Harlies). Everything gives you something that tau lack: fast tough scorer, psycher, melee unit.

Your idea of a scoutspeeder and a minimally better flier, plus an HQ and troops choice that you don't really want...that's just stupidly wasted points, it adds precisely nothing to your list and costs a whole lotta points.

I can see where you are coming from but don't really think that talon or storm fit into the fluff/style of the DA - which makes sense as to why they aren't in the codex. In fact I would personally say that I'm glad that they aren't!

Wouldn't want to discuss fitting into list as although scouts are interesting, the talon doesn't interest me and I can't see a logical HQ to "make it happen"

The storm talon and land speeder storm are both fast attack slots, so the only way you could take one of each is if you had two primary detachments, and then two secondary detachments; in which case you will need an addtional HQ and troop from C:SM.

I'm keeping quiet on this one whistling.gif

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/Dark%20Angels/Ravenwing/CIMG2396.jpg

@Elmo 9141 - That is kinda the idea I had in mind! The model feels very Ravenwing to me. I also feel like Scouts would often be used with the Ravenwing unit over time in a support capacity.

I did recently purchase a box of Close Combat Scouts and the Storm; You get a lot of nice extra bits in those kits and can make a unit for the DA Toops section if nothing else. I kitbashed a few guardsmen for Sargeants and am happy with the results (now just have to paint them).

When playing Demons or Chaos, I will ally with the Storm just for the purpose of force denial. The deep strike effects, icon and teleport effects make this a nice option.

You could probably make a pretty cool looking Storm Talon by putting the twin-linked assault cannons from the Ravenwing upgrade sprue in the nose section of the Nephilim/Dark Talon, then converting the lascannons to fit into the heavy bolter locations (magnetized to swap out, and then the light covers for the Dark Talon (also magnetized for if you are using the wing missile pods). If you are going to use missiles, convert a CML split into four rows of three small missiles to put into the wing pods instead of the hurricane bolters, and finally the Blacksword missile pods probably make a good stand in for the Skyhammer launcher as is.

Modeling advice only, I don't really like the rules for the LS Storm or the Storm Talon (sadly I don't really like the rules for the LS Vengeance/Dark Shroud or Nephilim/Dark Talon either, but at least the models do look cooler - hard call on the LS Vengeance, actually).

@Bryan, Have you seen the LS Vengeance model in person yet? It is definitely one that looks better in life than in pictures. After seeing the model, I decided I will be purchasing the kit. Before viewing the model, I was undecided.

I've seen it. Realigning the pulpit and pilot are the only things that can save that machine for me. I'm trying to figure out how. It doesn't look that good assembled as is, IMO. I don't mind the back of the model or the small engines on the sides, I actually like all those parts. The rules for the Vengeance are also lackluster IMO.

I have decided that the Vengeance plasma cannon (or cannons) might be able to be assembled with a Predator to make a nice post-Heresy appearance Predator Executioner (not to mention, it would save me a FW order).

Archived