Robes

recon0321

I use robes to mark out models that are exceptions within a squad. For tactical squads (the only Greenwing squads I've painted so far), I put them on Sergeants, Special Weapon wielders, and Heavy Weapon wielders. I also put a robe on one normal bolter-wielding marine so when I combat squad a full 10-man detachment, he can denote the "corporal" combat squad leader (even though it's just fluff). When I paint up a Devastator squad, the only one wearing the robe would be the Sergeant. Assault Squads would be Sergeants, and any special weapon wielders. Company Vets all get robes.

In my head, it's marines that are picked out for leadership and special privilege that get the robes. I also do it to make it easier to pick out special guys at a glance, the normal "corporal" bolter marine notwithstanding.

Not sure what the new codex says.

Nothing specific is mentioned in the Cdex but I'd like to think that depending how deep into the Inner Circle you are inducted corresponds to the types of robes you get to wear, for example:

Low-ranking vet sergeants get a tabard (similar to Black Templars)

Mid-ranking vet sergeants get a single layer robe, no hood,

High-ranking vets get a full double layers robe with hood, the second inner layer denoting colours specific to their company on the trim.

The robes and cloaks and cowls increase in complexity as you progress through the ranks, such as Balthasar from the DV set has a robe, cloak, hood and second cloak depicting the wings of the Icon.

It also lets me use pieces from other kits, ;-)

Well from what I have gathered from Ravenwing and the new codex is that the colour of the robe is as important as the robe itself. Robes that are bone denote membership of the Deathwing, red seems to be company veteran (assuming the vets shown in the codex wearing bone is simply due to older models when robes were for anyone) and the Deathwing themselves wear green robes over bone armour. I wouldn't expect to see many bone robes around unless on HQ's and perhaps certain Veterans.

Model wise the green robes on the DW, DWK, Belial and Company Master in TDA models was because they didn't want too much red making a weird over draw to robes. the green was subtler to the painter. The DW sergeant has an all dark green cape.

All other models have white robes/tabards/surplice and all robes/tabards/surplice inside is red for DA Chapter. Most Libbies are White outside and Green inside. Sammael is white rbes with green inside.

This is how GW has done the DA so it really is up to you how you want them.

Well from what I have gathered from Ravenwing and the new codex is that the colour of the robe is as important as the robe itself. Robes that are bone denote membership of the Deathwing, red seems to be company veteran (assuming the vets shown in the codex wearing bone is simply due to older models when robes were for anyone) and the Deathwing themselves wear green robes over bone armour. I wouldn't expect to see many bone robes around unless on HQ's and perhaps certain Veterans.

I disagree with this, the veterans entry says the following:

"Although they are honoured and held in high esteem, it is not always easy for outsiders to pick out the Chapter's honoured Veterans ... these Veterans renounce the garish and conspicuous - not for them the gold-encrusted armour of an honour guard or some ostentatious plume to denote to all onlookers their exalted station. Instead, only the keenest eye can perhaps discern a ceremonial robe or catch the odd gleam from some antiquated and honoured wargear..."

It strongly suggests that the use of different robes to denote rank and/or role is either not done, or only done in very subtle ways. Note that it does also suggest that people other than veterans would wear robes too.

Robes are always a tricky thing, it varies from person to person on how they are going to model them. I am building an angels of vengenace successor, and I do plan to use robes. My robes are going to come in two colors, red and black. I am keeping the black robes only for those models that will have the Inner Circle Special rules, as in the fluff it was mentioned in the second edition codex, that the inner circle wears black robes. I am using the red robes for all others, only because personally black robes with black armor is a bit to much black. My black robes will have red trim, and patterns on them, and red coloring on the undersection of the robes.

As for who else gets to wear robes. I am keeping my robes strictly as a veteran status symbol. I will be mixxing robes and tabards for veterans, and all those who are in command squads, veteran sergenants and characters will have robes. The exception for this will be Assault squads. I may put a tabard on a veteran sergeant, but I am not going to make them fully robed as from a realism perspective, they would get singed from the exhausts. I will also have one attack bike guy modeled as robed, but that is because I have to do something with the extra robed figure from having two sets of the DV ravening wing set in my one unit of ravenwing that I am initially taking, so I figured I would give it to the attack bike driver to make the attack bike stand out a little.

Archived