Heretics for Humanity: Building a Codex and Army to Boot.

FoxLGV

As a Marine player I share a common ambition with my fellow Astartes: to build and refine one's own chapter to be unique and effective through both rich history and combat prowess.

I've finally decided I am going to cross this milestone, and I'm going to cross it in the same demeanor I cross every milestone in life: Epically (it's the only way I know how).

Over time my Marine force has been added to slowly, causing it's sections to seem conflicted with my changing experience and maturity. After all this time however, I have finally settled on a narrative I can make stick; one that will take the concept of 'overkill' into every department, from lore and detail to tactics and power.

Starting with a Codex, I'd like to surpass the aforementioned goal; and I'd like your help to do so. In this thread I'm going to post everything from lore and concept to rules and eventually modelling and painting. Every step of the way I'd like to ask for comments, suggestions, criticisms, insight, whatever you have to offer; I will read and consider it with humilty and appreciation.

In exchange for the wisdom I ask of you, I have little to offer. But I plan to show my gratitude by designing each and every marine in my army after those of you that are helpful for this process (to the point that when the time comes, I'll pm you and ask what kind of bits/modifications you might want to make your model specific, I'll add packs, sights, change poses, add battle-scars, paint markings etc. all to make your marine yours).

I have a good deal of planning done, all of which is contained in the posts below. Mind you, there are sections within sections and there is a lot of reading if you want to go through it all. But for those of you who do, and offer your opinions thank you in advance. ^.^

Lore and Concept

The History of the Phoenix Legion is two-fold, it was the unlikely spawn of an Inquisitor losing her faith, and a Chapter Master filled with wild desperation. When their paths crossed, they had both lost their loyalty to the Imperium but not to humanity. And in their attempts to hide from the ever-watching eye of the Inquisition they found a medium under which they could continue to serve humanity without the limitations beset on the majority of humanity's defenders.

I plan to flesh this out later, I've gotten a lot of lore thought up but I have a hunch people would prefer I get to the rules, modelling and painting quickly. However in summary: defending a group of agri worlds from a Tyranid invasion, the Space Marine chapter "Green Legion" was forced to set their home-worlds ablaze to burn out the infestation feeding gluttonously on the surface vegetation As they set world after world on fire, it became apparent certain broods were completely unaffected a strand of genestealers had become resistant to standard fire-bombs and flamers. In response, they allowed an artificer to modify the chemicals in their munitions. He however, decided to show off his entire arsenal, offering the chapter his own teleporter designs, advanced firearms and a new material that would make their power armor more maneuverable. Given the dire nature of the circumstances, the young Chapter Master resigned himself and his chapter to tech-heresy. However with the new weaponry and equipment, it became like exterminating roaches. Paying the cost of their home-worlds and good name, the Legion stopped the Hive fleet in it's tracks.

Since then, the chapter has formed new name, and new purpose. The Phoenix Legion rose from the ashes of their home-worlds blackened surface, repainting their amour and fully embracing technological experimentation and advancement as a necessity for any proper defense of mankind to be mounted. 

~The Inquisitor's side of the story is still to be written, if any of you have any suggestions on how an inquisitor might lose faith in the inquisition to the point of revoking her loyalty, let me know; I don't know the inquisition's practices enough to come up with something creative (yet).~

Rules and Force Organization

The Legion itself is separated into parts: Vanguard, Commandos, and Center-Column. Regardless of their field, all Legionnaires are known as "Evocati" (Roman term for a veteran who stayed after his service in the legion was up). Supporting the Legion are the Phalanx, Elders, Fleet, and Mobile Infantry; and leading them are the Legion Masters and High Command.

Because the Legion represents a Space Marine force that has begun to advance it's own technology (and that they work in conjunction with an Inquisitor who is up for revealing secrets) I've been calling upon the Grey Knights codex for the majority of the force. By renaming rules and shifting things around a little I've managed to keep things surprisingly legal.

Special Rule Minor Changes:

Nemesis Force Weapons - Due to the concept being advanced SMs not psychic GKs, I've been giving them a special rule called "Combat Prowess." Put simply, rather than activating force weapons they merely make a leadership test to inflict instant death. Because this now takes 'warp charge' and for simplicity's sake I've been stripping them all of their psychic powers in exchange for some customization options (the balance of which has to be handled case by case, and I defer to you all for each of them). Also of course taking the 'perils of the warp' as the idea that their fury overtakes them and a model leaves himself open to counterattack or some other explanation; along with power-weapon combat capabilities being their sub-par combat skills.

I'm also including a special rule in place of NF-Hammers called Lethal Precision, which is merely NFH rules without putting a hammer in their hands for the same points.

On top of that those that take heavy weapons (replacing their force weapons) are too weighed down to gain full benefit from their training.

The Aegis - I'm not quite sure what to do with this, it's easy to say that armor upgrades defend against psykers; but if I'm trading the psychic powers in for customization should I not also trade this in as well? Let me know.

Preferred Enemy (Daemons) - I'm keeping this standard, with Chaos being a major threat in 6ed it makes sense the Legion trains to fight Daemons as they're the greatest threat to Humanity at the moment.

Wargear Minor Changes:

StormBolters - In place of SBs every model is equipped with Psybolt Ammo and labels it as a 'Widow Maker Rifle' (named after the Anvil Industries bits I plan to use), which is merely a 24" S5 AP4 Assault 2 weapon. 'Widow Maker Carbines' follow the same rules, I'll just be using shorter weapons on models with this designation.

Psycannons - In place of Psycannons I'm calling them 'Widow Maker LMG's to fit lore, same profile: 24" S7 AP4 Assault 2 ~or~ Heavy 4 Rending

Terminator Armor - I hater termies, oh yes I do. Not the rules, or the points cost, but the look of them (specifically the faces but the hunched posture doesn't help). Because of this I'm renaming terminator armor 'Hardened Armor' and I'll be modelling it like Power armor on the 40mm bases and then just adding lots of battle damage.

High Command

The High Command is made up for the Seven Legion Masters and their Honor Guard. Each Master oversees one Major Section of the Legion (save for the Mobile Infantry, they are not Evocati and have their own rank sub-system made up of term-of-service officers); and they server under the Legion Grand Master who commands the entirety of the Legions military campaigns. Each of these will be designed using the GK Grand Master Rules, the Legion Grand Master will be using slightly bent Grand Master Rules (detailed below in the 'rules I want to bend' section).

The Honor Guard will follow the GK Paladins

http://imageshack.us...s/89/honul.png/

Additional Legionnaires: 60pts/model

Wargear: Hardened Armor, Widow-Maker Carbine, Frag/Krak/Psyke-Out Grenades, Power Weapons (they'll be on the models, should declare them here even if CP would cover it)

Special rules: The Aegis, And They Shall Know no Fear, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Combat Prowess, Relentless, Feel no Pain

The Center-Column

The Center is meant to be the spearhead of the Legion's advance. Their purpose is to push forward into oncoming fire, and cross the gap towards their entrenched enemies. After the Commandos set up forward positions and the Vanguard begin their skirmish, it is up to the center to support them. Dropped in by dropship and equipped with hardened armor, the Center utilizes forward positions to land and defend objectives, or to land and push onto the next ones after the fighting has begun. The resilient and persevering Legionnaires are selected to be Center-Column, and they often march straight at the enemy even in the face of the most fearsome firepower.

The Legion Center is modeled after GK Terminators. Cut and dry Rule-wise they come out as follows:

Additional Legionnaires: 40pts/model

Wargear: Hardened Armor, Widow-Maker Rifle, Frag/Krak/Psyke-Out Grenades

Special rules: The Aegis, And They Shall Know no Fear, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Combat Prowess, Relentless

Options: One Heavy Weapon per Five Models: Widow Maker LMG (25), Incinerator (5)

The Vanguard

The Vanguard are supposed to accomplish two things: rapid seizure of objectives, and rapid threat response. At the beginning of each battle only half the Vanguard will deploy ahead of the Legion. The other half waits in orbit to come down on Teleport Homers where they are needed most. As both of these tasks are one's in the most vicious combat the Vanguard ranks are filled with the bravest and most valiant soldiers the Legion recruits.

The Legion Vanguard is modeled after the GK Interceptors.

Additional Legionnaires: 31pts/model

Wargear: Power Armor, Widow Maker Carbine, Frag/Krak/Psyke-Out Grenades, Personal Teleporter

Special Rules: The Aegis, And They Shall Know no Fear, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Combat Prowess

Options: One Heavy Weapon per Five Models: Widow Maker LMG (10), Incinerator (20)

The Commandos

The Commandos act as the Legion's scouts and adaptable elites. It is their job to move silently ahead of the army and set up forward positions to slow the enemy advance, allowing the rest of the Legion time to deploy in perfect counterattacks. The the more alert and decisive Legionnaires are trained to be Commandos, as they often have to adapt the battle plan in order to accomplish their missions.

Legionnaires are modeled after GK Purgators with the added scout rule (it will be coming from the Grand Masters' Grand Strategy rule, I just won't scout those that I don't roll high for).

http://imageshack.us...s/703/comy.png/

Additional Legionnaires: 25pts/model

Wargear: Power Armor, Widow-Maker Carbine, Frag/Krak/Psyke-Out Grenades

Special Rules: The Aegis, And They Shall Know no Fear, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Lethal Precision

Options: Up to Four Heavy Weapons: Widow Maker LMG (15), Incinerator (free)

Mobile Infantry

The Mobile Infantry aren't technically members of the Legion; they are instead civilians who wish to volunteer service to defend their homes (homes under the protection of the Legion). Though, at the end of a term, troopers may apply to join the Legion few make it though (resulting in 'career' troopers who just keep taking terms of service). Because they rarely see combat and often do little more than hold ground behind the Evocati the MI are given 'economically efficient' equipment and training.

They are taken as IG Infantry Squads of 30 without weapons options or command upgrades.

http://imageshack.us...5/65162431.png/

Wargear: Flak Armor, Lasgun, Frag Grenades

Elders

The 'Elders' of the Legion are immortalized in the iron shells of Dreadnoughts. Because each Dreadnought shell is designed around the soldier's personal style I'll be writing up options for every imperial dreadnought out there (from the specific chapter codices to the forgeworld alternates).

~To be filled out~

Phalanx

The Legion Phalanx is it's Armored corps of tanks and transports. However unlike the versatility in the infantry, the Phalanx employs a module outfitting system where they re-kit land raiders before each sortie depending on the needs of the mission.

The Phalanx will utilize Land Raider Redeemers, Land Raider Achilles, Land Raider Terminus Ultras, and Land Raider Ares, Land Raider Helios', and Land Raider Prometheus'.

In addition, The Legion also utilizes newly designed and produced Fellblades.

~To be filled out~

Fleet

I want to put some kind of Fleet presence on the field, I haven't quite decided exactly what I want though. Obviously some kind of dropship, possibly thunderhawks if I can find a cheaper way of making five or so. Also some kind of Flee Officer presence (beyond the 'Master of the Fleet' of the High Command), possibly Techmarines with conversion beamers or Captains with orbital relays.

Suggestions welcome ^.^

~To be filled out~

Major Changes

The vast majority of what's posted above is completely legal, and that which isn't would be acceptable in any friendly game. I would however like to make some further changes that step farther outside of available rules.

1. I want to give Commandos more 'commando-esque' special rules such as shroud, move through cover etc. Any idea on how to points cost this reasonably?

2. I want to add more customization options. As I said psychic powers don't fit fluff-wise so I've just straight up taken them out; in exchange for that would it be reasonable to add a few options and if so how many/where from? Could I give commandos sniper rifle options? Allow the Center to take WW missile launchers?

Thanks for you input, this is where I need it most. ^.^'

~For some reason I can't post photos, until I get that sorted the Modelling and Painting section will be on hold.~

Fluff posted ^.^

I'll be uploading some pictures of the color scheme tonight based on the models of the current force (soon to be decommissioned but the scheme will remain for the most part unchanged). But since it might be an hour away, a brief description:

Primed Chaos Black, then Red Gore on the cloaks and seals (the purity seals are done in the same fire-retardant fabric as the other cloth to survive the "blight" where they set their own worlds on fire). Blood Red on the blades, eyes and the flat edges of the bolters followed by Burnished Gold on the hilts, handles and metals as well as the 'wax' part of the seals (though it's not wax it's a heat-resistant rubber); and drybrushed over the red of the blades and bolters (it's a really cool effect, I can't wait to post some of it).

Thanks Absolute ^.^

I was originally thinking south-eastern fringe worlds, based on the tyranid concentration but I'm leaning more towards plopping them north-east. There are still hive fleet incursions there and it's closer to the Chaos front where I'd like to see them fighting.

I'm still working on that side, the concept at the moment is that the Inquisitor in question took over a system to rule herself outside of imperial jurisdiction, using her know-how of the Imperial inner workings to keep her rule off the radar. When she finds out about the Legion, she offers them a role in defending her territory in exchange for support, munitions, arms and recruits. With her wiping their records they are then free to continue serving humanity as they would normally, but without less fear that they might be discovered as all records going back into the command structure are intercepted and picked through (though it's probably only a matter of time before someone gets word back).

But that's just the preliminary idea, I need to do some research on the inquisition's workings to sharpen it up.

Archived