Ravenwing Command Squad configuration

Angel of Solitude

For those of you with the new Codex, what do you think the optimum command squad configuration would be for Sammael? I'm guessing an Apothecary is always a must, but would you take a Standard with you with Sammael or perhaps have your Standard in another command squad elsewhere on the battlefield? Also what weapons config are people gravitating towards?

Cheers.

Well, with only 3 bikes, the only reason to take them is, in my opinion, standard. Apothecary can be taken, as it'll make standard more survivable, and with Blade of Caliban replacing corvus hammer champion is pointless. Grenade launcher could be useful though, for the debuffs it can provide.

I agree with the idea that the Command Squad is all about the banner, so the apothecary is a decent upgrade to help support the standard bearer, unless you are taking the Standard of Fortitude.

As to whether the Champion is a decent upgrade, it all depends who is going to be running with the Command Squad. If its Sammael, who can accept challenges and dish out the hurt to just about anyone with his invulnerable save, Eternal Warrior and AP2 I5 mighty sword of dobber, then the Champion upgrade is useful as it gets +1 WS and +1 S and an AP3 weapon for 5 points, and I don't care that it hits at I1 because he's never going to be in a challenge.

If I'm expecting the Champion to be able to get stuck into challenges, then I'm going to be disappointed.

Can I just say that you do not have to put Sammael in the command squad. They are still seperate units. The command squad is too small to be used for close combat. I will be running my command squad for the dakka banner tucked behind 2 ravenwing bike squads, making them all salvo weapons.

Sammaels place is in a big Black Knight squad, His AP2 sword, combined with all those rending corvus hammer attacks is just pure win.

Another question on weapons. Am I right in thinking that the command squad can take either twin-linked bolters or twin-linked plasma guns on their bikes? If so, then if you're taking the standard that gives you the bolter benefit, then you'd want to have a twin-linked bolter load out?

Also, if you don't upgrade your command squad to Apoc / Champion / Standard, then are they effectively the same model as a Black Knight?

Cheers!

Another question on weapons. Am I right in thinking that the command squad can take either twin-linked bolters or twin-linked plasma guns on their bikes? If so, then if you're taking the standard that gives you the bolter benefit, then you'd want to have a twin-linked bolter load out?

No, sorry, the Command Squad are effectively Black Knights, and have plasma talons on their bikes, not TL boltguns. Please look in the wargear section of the Command Squad page of the codex. :)

Personally the corvus hammer is a pretty descent weapon. It has rending, and won't cost the upgrade for the champion. If I was fielding it with sammael, I would opt for a standard, apothecary, the grenade launcher, then add the techmarine, but wouldn't opt for any other upgrades to keep the unit cheaper, as they would provide some nice rending hits, get the bonus from the standard, give sammael a nice unit for protection, and sammael can dish out challenges.

Looking at the weapons choices for a command squad, am I correct in thinking that an Apothecary carries a corvus hammer? I ask because as modelled, one hand is holding the handlebar, while the other is the narthecium.

Also, how are people modeling the Techmarine on a bike?

Cheers

Also, how are people modeling the Techmarine on a bike?

There are techie bits in RW upgrade sprue as well as SM vehicle crew sprue. I guess the easiest way is to give a rider DA-techmarine head and torso and paint him in Adeptus Mechanicus colors with DA livery on black bike to match RW bikers. As you can now have bike-mounted command squad it will be an interesting build having sammael with command squad with RW standard and black knights unit and libby or chappie on bike with command squad with standard of devastation and 2-3 salvo tossing attack squadrons with some speeders.

Looking at the weapons choices for a command squad, am I correct in thinking that an Apothecary carries a corvus hammer? I ask because as modelled, one hand is holding the handlebar, while the other is the narthecium.

Yes, the apothecary still has his Corvus Hammer.

Heres the true issue:

The command squad was not intended to be only 3 bikes. If you look at the following page the digital codex (pf 151) -- the command squad is 5 bikes strong. 4 talons and 1 nade launcher. They rushed the codex out and made a bunch of mistakes, some of which were addressed in a VERY fast FAQ release. They knew the issue was there before the codex was sold in stores.

I made the comment in the FB page that they need to recheck Vertock's true design intent. The FAQ should reflect the ability to take up to at least 2 more bikes, but probably 3 more.

In the mean time; the only way I'd take that command squad is if Sammy was attached to it and possibly a librarian or IChap. Theres just not enough meat there with only 3. Way too expensive. Theres not enough ablative wounds to justify a Apothecary/Standard/Vet Serg. 

Ravenwing Command Squad with Apothecary... Ravenwing Banner... Grenade Launcher...

+ Sammael

+ Int/Chap or a LIbby on Bike

+ Tech Marine + ServoHarness on Bike

+ Tech Marine + Servo Harness on Bike + Powerfield

DeathStar on Wheels with 4++ and FNP,  4d6 Hit and run, never fail, scouts, outflank, skilled rider....

+ a lot of attacks all kinds of str and ap multiple plasma guns, multiple flamers...

Ravenwing Command Squad with Apothecary... Ravenwing Banner... Grenade Launcher...

+ Sammael

DeathStar on Wheels with 4++ and FNP,  4d6 Hit and run, never fail, scouts, outflank, skilled rider....

+ a lot of attacks all kinds of str and ap multiple plasma guns, multiple flamers...

I agree with almost everything that brother landrain has said except I probably would not bother with a grenade launcher. The only use I can see for a grenade launcher is placing one in a 10 man black knight squad for when you go up against draigowing. Then the rad shell drops paladins to T3 when it hits allowing the AP2, S7, plasma talons to instant death 2 wound paladins. It's the only real use I can see as the only other multi-wound T4 models are nobs but you should always find them on warbikes giving them permanent T5 and avoiding the effects, although they will still take more wounds!

+ Sammael

I agree with almost everything that brother landrain has said except I probably would not bother with a grenade launcher. The only use I can see for a grenade launcher is placing one in a 10 man black knight squad for when you go up against draigowing. Then the rad shell drops paladins to T3 when it hits allowing the AP2, S7, plasma talons to instant death 2 wound paladins. It's the only real use I can see as the only other multi-wound T4 models are nobs but you should always find them on warbikes giving them permanent T5 and avoiding the effects, although they will still take more wounds!

Grenade Launcher also does Stasis Grenades.. -1ws -1Init.... Marines/Draigo non-halberds dead before swinging..

Archived