That WD tutorial on painting white?

Xeraxen

Greetings Brothers,

I prefer painting my DA robes in a more pure -white colour than the usual bleached bone [i know, I know, heresy.] and I wanted to consult that WD painting guide on painting the white of WF High Elf robes [which uses one of the shades of grey as a base] but I don't have my WD copies handy and cannot remember the issue that featured it. Does anyone have the recipie or a link to the tutorial?

I've tried a Ceramite white as a base over the initial white priming colour, then I layer with White Scar and add a touch of Nuln oil to the creases to shade. I feel I can do better [ and somehow the white layers gets green on it from the amour. >.> I'm probably holding the model wrong sometimes.].

Any tips and/or links to that tutorial I mentioned?

I would recommend waiting for the green to dry first if that is how you are mixing the white and green?

Personally I would start with a light gray rather than dark and wash it down with blue or black, then reapply the gray to the raised areas, do this twice. Applying to far more raised each time, then add your white, again two layers of white, once on the mainly raised (slightly more than your last gray) and then once more on the extremely raised.

Hope this helps.

For white I use the old Ravenwing wings method:

Basecoat Stone Grey (Sombre Grey from Vallejo)

Go over all bar the deepest recesses with a 50/50 mix of stone grey / space wolf grey

Leave some of the above showing and go over with pure space wolf grey

Highlight with a 50/50 space wolf grey / skull white.

Make sure you dilute the paint with some water and it creates a nice even white regardless of what the base colour of the model is. Skip the 50/50 mixing if you want a quicker paint job, looks nearly the same anyway :-)

Apologies for using the old paint names, I mostly use Vallejo these days.

Celestra Grey base -> Ulthuan Grey layer -> White Scar layer

Or

Rakarth Flesh base -> Ulthuan Grey layer -> White Scar layer

You could also use a Nuln Oil shade after the Celestra Grey or Rakarth Flesh and then relayer it prior to the Ulthuan Grey. If you wanted a different undertone to the white, you could use a different shade other than Nuln Oil.

I do mine using PP's Menoth White, wash with agrax earthshade, layer Menoth White, highlight white. Actually, I've been using praxetti dry as my final white layer, drybrushing it on. The dry compounds are probably my new favorite paints, and I've created some really nice blends with them when using them beyond dry brushing.

Archived