Deathwing tactics question

Redbaron997

I have a concept I would like to explore. If I am reading it right we can now deep string an entire DW army at once. With the vengful strike we have a real incentive to do so. So my question is should we seek to deepstrike an entire army?

The pros would be that we get vengful strike and can position where we would like. Another pro is if our enemy went first they would have nothing to shoot at.

Now normally I would be hesitant due to possibility of mishaps but with a 24 inch threat range I believe we could be pretty safe. Plus Belials unit doesn't scatter at all.

I believe Belial has a homer as well so following units won't scatter either but you have to have something on the board at the end of each player turn or you lose automatically.

Hiding something on the board and then deepstriking the rest might be fun.

i havent read the DA book but are you not still restricted by the 50% reserves rule?

This is was hotly debated in another topic on this board here. Read through to make your own mind up. Must admit I've not studied the arguments either way closely enough yet to make my own mind up whether there's an issue or not <_<.

Cheers

I

jeez i just read all o that...

i figure that GW placed the 50% reserves rule to stop all the armies that used to be able to start with nothing on the board and waste their opponents first turn..

so i would say no. it may be a cool thing to be able to do but in truth its just annoying to render your opponents 1st turn useless.

a lot of people wont care about that though.. they just want the win. i would rather me and my opponent both enjoy the game.

jeez i just read all o that...

i figure that GW placed the 50% reserves rule to stop all the armies that used to be able to start with nothing on the board and waste their opponents first turn..

so i would say no. it may be a cool thing to be able to do but in truth its just annoying to render your opponents 1st turn useless.

a lot of people wont care about that though.. they just want the win. i would rather me and my opponent both enjoy the game.

That thread got locked for a reason msn-wink.gif We should probably just steer clear of it :P

Yes, please do not turn this thread into another rant-fest about reserves and deep striking :)

Lol please don't, I got a headache reading that thread. I would never deep strike that anyway.

What would be better?

Using Belial plus support squad in a crusader flooring it 1st turn, DWA 2nd turn

Or Ravenwing scouting and spreading across the board, then DWA Belial and the rest of the Deathwing 1st turn.

I'm thinking the 2nd option, as it gives you a number of options, plus DWA will be a bigger hit.

DM

Personally, I own lots of Ravenwing and don't own a Land Raider, so the choice is already made for me! :D

But on a general note, I prefer Ravenwing providing the teleport homers, as the ability to take all that melta makes me smile :) As far as LR Crusaders go, I'm coming round to the idea that Azreal and some cronies in an LRC isn't a bad idea, as all of the Ravenwing and Deathwing will automatically be troops choices. Plus, if you take the chapter banner on the Command squad, thats a 12" bubble of +1 Attacks round the LRC, which is nice. Expensive though!

If I was using Belial, then my Deathwing would probably be the focus of the army, and so I'd be looking to take just enough RW to ensure that I had several teleport location options, and would bring in the DWA on Turn 1. If I was taking Sammael, then the DW would be supporting my bikes, and I would be looking to advance the RW as a pack supported by a Dark Shroud, and would leave the DWA until Turn 2.

Archived