Battle against Tyranids, what should I bring?

Tiger9gamer

I have another 1,500pts game against a guy on saturday, and I plan on beating him this time (lost 2 games to him already) I kinda know what he's brining, so I need a hard counter.

The doom of malanti, swarmlord and maybe the parastie is going to appear, Along with Tervigons and their little gribblies.

how should I counter? should I go multible razorbacks? bring some knights? tried the banner of devastation last time, and with doom I think they are going to be sniped.

any help?

Hi Friend,

I play Tyranids as my first army, and while they're not really competitve, they can be very fun to play as and against, so let me see if I can help you out.

A few things of note.

1) Nothing he fields will have a 2+ armor save unless he goes with a Tyrannofex or a Hive Tyrant with Armored Shell. Maximize your use of 48" range missiles and you can pretty much kill (1) MC/turn with focused fire.

2) Termagaunts only shoot short range, and without the Tervigon backing them up, they're going to be hurting pretty bad in CC. Remember, as long as the Tervigon is alive, shooting at Termagaunts is wasteful. Killing Momma will cause 3d6 wounds per squad inside her bubble. Focus her down first, so his synapse is weak and he has to re-deploy for coverage.

3) Doom of Malan'tai is only T4 with no Eternal Warrior, the turn that it comes down, it will hurt. Then at the start of your shooting phase, it will hurt again. Remember that if MUST DIE during that phase. Use as many missiles as it takes, and cost him that model. The remaining missiles go against Monsterous Creatures.

What are you packing in the way of models? DW, RW, or Power Armor DA? Let us know and we can do more.

Paul

I am planning on doing this list this time for more Heavy weapons and less of a chance to be doomed'.

HQ: Company master Constantine (Artificer armor, plasma pistol, Mace of redemption, displacer field)-180pts

Elite 1: Deathwing Knights (5 vets, Relic of unforgiven, land raider redeemer w/ Multi-melta & deathwing vehicle)-530pts

Troop 1: Tactical squad (5 marines, vet sergeant, plasma pistol, plasma rifle las/plas razorback w/ dozer blade)-180pts

Troop 2: Tactical squad (5 marines, vet sergeant w/ plasma pistol, plasma rifle, las/plas razorback w/ dozer blade)-180pts

Troop 3: Tactical squad (5 marines, vet sergeant w/ plasma pistol, plasma rifle, las/plas razorback w/ dozer blade)-180pts

F/A 1: Typhoon speeder-75pts

H/S 1: (Devastator squad, x3 missiles w/ flakk, x1 Lascannon)-170pts

1500pts

I don't have the new 'dex in front of me, but that looks pretty solid, especially for Heavy Weapons. When Doom comes down, I would start with the Razorbacks using their Las Cannons. Only need it to fail one save, which means that the Dev Squad could be wasted.

At 1500 points, the Swarmlord is 1/5 of his army. Tervigons are around 1/7th of his points. If you destroy his Synapse his is pretty much beaten.

Can you be more specific on what he is running? It might help.

Paul

Lots of template weapons. Missile launchers and flamers. Lots of Dakka- assault cannons, autocannons. Heavy bolters even. If you really want to make them cry, bring a Whirlwind. Dreadnoughts are awesome- give it a heavy flamer and assault cannon.

If they have the flying Hive Tyrant, look up and read the rules on flying monstrous creatures, and never forget that he has to test every time he is hit, not when he takes a wound. Oh, and a Aegis Defense Line really helps.

Shoot the big bugs with big guns, shoot the little bugs with templates. For this, combat squad everything and go for the layered defense. Five model Tactical squad with a flamer, then a couple inches behind him, the other five model squad with the missile launcher.

Of great help in this could be a Libby with Prescience psychic power, and a Command Squad with the Standard of Devastation.

Depending on the scenario, realize that setting up a castle defense with a firebase around your home objective will probably win you the game. Force the bugs to come to you and shoot them to death. If there are a lot of objectives, it becomes much harder, as he will out number you, and in the attrition war, he will eventually win. Avoid close combat unless you know you can win. Getting bogged down plays into his hands.

Lots of Dakka and template weapons. Castle up, and make him come to you.

Don't castle against Doom, that's some pretty poor advice. You do want to make him come to you though. The further he walks through your superior range and rate of fire, the better.

Las Cannons will be better than Plasma because of the range. The Plasma Cannon's template is nice against the little bastards, but bolters will mow them down just as well.

Turn one, you should use all your Las Cannons focused on a single MC and hope to blow it to pieces. Preferably a Tervigon. Don't be kind to it, it's a hard model to get a cover save for, and unless he has it in a ruin, then he's pretty much up crap creek. Don't advance, infact, a strategic retreat to avoid allowing him to charge could win you the game.

The 24" synapse on the Swarmlord is nice, but the Tervigons are the killer. So far, you've only listed (4) Synapse creatures, one is deep striking. What is he taking in his elite slots? Hive Guard or Ymargles? More Zoanthropes?

Deploy spread out, across from his MCs, make him walk the full 48" to get to you. Make sure you use your superior range with Las and melt his big bugs. Then once he has no synapse, he has to pass a leadership test for any unit that didn't start in synapse. Some of those bugs are low leadership, so that'll help.

He has no long range stuff, so use that to your advantage.

Paul

he has hive guard and zoanthropes too. He can fit a lot in that small list!

Yea, planning on using lascannons for the razorback, and giving my tact marines the plasma. Do I have enough marines for this? And does the Deathwing knights look complete in this list, or should I just take 2 DW terminator squads? (mobility & Toughness vs. versitility)

Try this:

Azrael, so you can choose your Warlord Trait. Choose the one that gives you an extra dice for Leadership tests.

Watch as his Doom of Mal can't harm your LD10 Marines after you roll 4 dice and remove the highest and lowest!

Now, take ten ton of bolter marines and a Dakka pole. Shoot EVERYTHING!

I think you can spare points for Lascannons, Missile Launchers or Black Knights to handle the bigger creatures, but should also have enough bolter shots to handle them too.

While that is a very good idea, I want to also try a smaller build thats really different. mobile, smaller Tanks with lascannons can move and shoot, are pretty much protected from doomie, and can lay down multiple wounds on the big gribblies.

Hive guard have 24" range only, as do Zoanthropes. If he is podding the Zoas they should get some Las to the face like Doom does.

Mobility is good, but a lot of Transports can hurt you. I will say again make him walk. When the he guard are close to their shooting range, missiles and Las make short work of them.

Azrael's leadership trait will also help against doom, but it still should die the turn after it lands.

Kill order should look something like:

Doom

Tervigons

Hive Guard//Zoas

Swarmlord

Mop up Termagaunts

You could table him turn 4 if you play smart with that much Las and Missiles.

Paul

I play tyranids as well (although never with the Doom) and I think your plan could work. Zoanthropes are unreliable tank hunters and the hive guard are slightly limited by their 24" range so your mechanised units should be quite survivable. Let us know how you get on.

In a straight fight, with average rolls, a unit of 6 knights could take him. But again, Missiles and Las Cannons take him without sacrafice.

If he Paroxysms the unit, then he's got a major advantage.

Paul

Ok, you have to listen to this:

I've just played a game with my long term Tyranid opponent today and used the Azrael Leadership defence to deploy an effective Dakka pole formation. He was down to his Swarm Lord and two Warriors by the end of my turn 2 and surrendered. It was not a ridiculously lucky game, and I have NEVER beaten him so easily before. This tactic WORKS against Tyranids, full stop.

Archived