Disciples of Caliban

I have the beginnings of a Disciples of Caliban (DoC) army and have had it for a while. Every time I try to paint it up though, I end up unhappy with the way the colors present themselves. On a black undercoat, the DA green and the black do not really give enough contrast IMO and end up looking like virtually the same color. On a white undercoat, the green pops a bit more but I don't like the white base for a lot of other reasons. I am considering replacing the DA green with snot (Salamander) green to get more contrast. How much flak am I going to get from purists if I do that? would I need to contrive some sort of back story to explain why this company adopted a different green? Alternately, what can I do to increase my contrast? I don't really want to base in black, paint the green parts lighter and then add my two coats of green.

Thanks.

My Motto: Never worry about purists. Paint the way you want, and how YOU like it. After all, you spend your money on the hobby, noone should judge you on what colour scheme, etc.

Something that may help you out though, basecoat grey, like Dawnstone. I do that and no problem with getting a rich, dark green. My main colours are Caliban Green and Bone, so for me the grey is aces.

Most importantly, enjoy the time you spend with your models, whether it be painting, building and playing. Hobbies are for relaxing, not stressing (not implying you are stressed by the way).

cheers

think it would help if you could post a pic of one of your mini's then mate, so everyone can get a better idea of where you're going wrong smile.png

Also, paint them how you like em, doesn't have to be DA green if you don't like the colour smile.png

Okay, I'll try taking a picture tonight. At this point, I have the test squad painted in Snot Green. The gray primer idea sounds interesting. Someone else at one of the hobby stores said he used green primer, but didn't remember what brand it was.

Flakk from the purists? Isnt paint scheme something personal? I tend to paint my DA with black trim soulderpads, grey bolter casings and silver aquilas. Kindly remind them that if they dont like your take on the WoC, to go stare another army.

In order to increase the contrast but avoid something too much green, I would paint the snot green over a black base and then wash it thrice. Then use the DA/calliban green.

Heres an example I painted a while ago: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/painting/18264d1344799714-some-da-i-completed-recently-p120812_16.39.jpg

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/painting/18265d1344799720-some-da-i-completed-recently-p120812_16.40.jpg

You could also paint it with the snot green and then wash it to taste. That's the way I paint my guys, but I also like having the green really dark.

I like the bright green/black contrast especially when I paint the face plate black (a la Mortifactors or those black and white Panther marines). But It's not "right" and that bothers me too (more than it should in all likelihood . I thought about saying they are a hitherto unknown successor, but I really like the DoC fluff (what there is of it). If I went the fluff route I would probably say something like these guys are from a company that found itself in a bad way on some volcanic death world (something like Crematoria from Riddick) and on the verge of not succeeding in capturing some Fallen they were pursuing, when a group of Salamanders cam in in drop pods. They end up fighting back to back with these guys for a prolonged period of time, maybe stuck in an underground hive because the surface was too hot for a couple years. In the end, they succeed in capturing the Fallen without the Salamanders tipping off to the big secret there. Once it is safe to leave, this company paints its green to match the Salamanders they fought with for so long and their face plates black to match the soot from the burning surface. Or something like that. Don't know if that kind of thinking really works with the DA motiff though even if they do have a history of repainting armor to commemorate events.

Flakk from the purists? Isnt paint scheme something personal? I tend to paint my DA with black trim soulderpads, grey bolter casings and silver aquilas. Kindly remind them that if they dont like your take on the WoC, to go stare another army. In order to increase the contrast but avoid something too much green, I would paint the snot green over a black base and then wash it thrice. Then use the DA/calliban green. Heres an example I painted a while ago: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/painting/18264d1344799714-some-da-i-completed-recently-p120812_16.39.jpghttp://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/painting/18265d1344799720-some-da-i-completed-recently-p120812_16.40.jpg

Cool. I love the piping and especially the shading on the white fabric. When you say wash the snot green, what did you wash it with Nuln Oil or something greener?? Your picture is an example of what I would call the low contrast version. I'll try to put up a high contrast version today for comparison. If it matters, I plan to put these guys on snowy bases for contrast.

The biggest thing to differentiate DA/Caliban Green from Black is the highlights, IMO. If you paint an armor plate in dark green and edge with Warpstone Glow (new Snot Green), then it is really, obviously, different than black edged with a grey, blue-grey or midnight blue. There was actually a really nice DoC army shown on the Daily WD yesterday at GW's website, you could look there to see what info is given up on the paint scheme and for some inspiration.

That said: Don't let anyone tell you how to paint your minis. :D

I hadn't seen that. Thanks!. I see what you mean about the edging though my favorite piece is the dread at the bottom of the post. It is a lot of lighter greens with the DA green only in the recesses. I wonder if I could get that effect with a wash.... i supect not. I think I'd have to paint DA green then paint it mostly or drybrush extensively with a lighter green before merging the colors with a darker green wash. But that is doable.

If you wash over a Snot Green/Warpstone Glow base progressively with a Badab Black/Nuln Oil for the recesses, then a Thraka Green (OOP name?) wash/Biel-tan Green shade over everything, you may be able to get an effect like you are looking for. Also, the Waywatcher Green glaze really does help blend tones together IMO.

Another suggestion would be to mix Bone into the Green before applying. I use it for highlighting.

From the photo, if you wanted to go dark - then wash the Gold down a few notches. But you wanted to go brighter so I see no problem with the Snot Green.

Purists should be a tolerant lot. They'll tell you it is not GW adherent but that should be the end of it.

OK I took a photo of the brighter mini from the test squad. I never have much luck linking my Picasa photos to B&C but here goes... or maybe ... Yeah, I don't get it, B&C says I can't use that image extension. I'm using the image function to copy in the direct to this photo link Picasa gives me and I get broken images. Anyway,I'm out of lunch hour so the photo is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NIpW0jGqss7ZMxZF7Zo_LNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink Sorry for making you have to work for it.

Want to know a secret about the cloth shading? There Is no shading at all!!!!! Yet even if you pick it up it looks like that because of natural lights and the models positioning. Thats one of the reasons I hate to extreme highlight, light itself does the job for us. I olnly highlighted the folds of the cloth but on a very small amount.

I used the green wash (thrakka green) from the previous wash line of GW.

In reference to your personalized fluff background.

That's what it's all about man. I have several squads of deathwing that have dark red robes as a way of symbolizing the extra bond MY dark angels formed with the GotC. Belial and 40 DW and two attack squadrons of RW were ambushed by a host of hostiles and were it not for the timely arrival of the GotC drop pods there would be a new grand master. It's YOUR DoC in you and your friends/lgs 40k universe. Do what you want man.

I like the salamanders aspect. They are legion bros after all. It's actually well written for a blurb, and I wouldn't mind reading more on it if you have the time or skill. Could be a nifty short story.

Thanks! The idea just sort of came to me. Having time to write it up, especially if I do it up as a full IA article may not be something I have though. The other variation to it that occurs to me would be to say that the Disciples who were specifically there recolored their armor in honor of the battle instead of the entire company. If that were the case the ones who are brighter green could stay that way and going forward, the "new recruits" could be in the darker green. It might make the army look kind of mismatched on the table though the black would be a unifying color.

I think that regarding your fears of the mis-matched scheme, it would be very usefull for showing the veterans of your army - for instance, your Sgts/Vet Sgts, Vet Squads and DW would have this discolouration to their armour, as veterans of the conflict they would be proud to show it - whereas the regular troopers, would either have been scouts or simply not there will have the older, more 'traditional' style - it also gives you an easy way to remember where your Sgts are when playing - especially usefull when you start hitting 3k+ and running apocalypse :) - could be a great way to add in a small Sallies contingent as well.

I tried to post, but i think it ate it. If the same post appears twice, I'm sorry. I like the Sallie ally idea a lot. You could even take it a step further and put some flame icons on the Disciples.

I like the sergeant idea too, but I don't know how well that will work though. Right now what I have painted is basically 1 tactical squad, about 5 assault guys, 5 terminators, and some HQ guys. I'll need to sit down with them this weekend and see what plays.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

No problem, that's why we're here!

On the subject of washes, my mini below was done by doing 1 base coat of cadian flesh, steel legion drab and bleached bone over a white primer, then I literally covered the model in agrax(?) earthshade, took me 15min? The new GW paints and washes are really good! The suggestion earlier of washing dark green over snot/salamander green might give you the effect you're after?

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/clarkus-maximus/image_zps5f5bd0b8.jpg

It might, but as I keep forgetting, Snot Green doesn't exist anymore. The chart says that Warpstone Green is the new Snot Green, but it does not look like the same color to me. So I got two bottle of Vallejo Model Color greens and some Model Color green ink and some GW green wash and we're going to do some experimenting on black primered sprues.

As you can see in my post above I have the trims of the armor gold. To my companies backround (5th) that is an indication of veteral status. A veteran with a crux terminatus is one of the inner circle send to preform...his dutties back in the company. Usually they form the honor guard of the Inner circle staff.

It might, but as I keep forgetting, Snot Green doesn't exist anymore. The chart says that Warpstone Green is the new Snot Green, but it does not look like the same color to me. So I got two bottle of Vallejo Model Color greens and some Model Color green ink and some GW green wash and we're going to do some experimenting on black primered sprues.

Watch out with the inks. They are not the same with washes. They can and will change both the tone and at times the very colour underneath them. Also unlike washes colour above the inks is applied only when they are completely dry.

If you want I can post you a pic and how i use washes.

Watch out with the inks. They are not the same with washes. They can and will change both the tone and at times the very colour underneath them. Also unlike washes colour above the inks is applied only when they are completely dry.

If you want I can post you a pic and how i use washes.

You probably don't need to; I've worked with both for years; long enough to actually miss the old GW inks. I had some very specific uses for them involving power weapons and dark eldar hair.

As you can see in my post above I have the trims of the armor gold. To my companies background (5th) that is an indication of veteral status. A veteran with a crux terminatus is one of the inner circle send to preform...his duties back in the company. Usually they form the honor guard of the Inner circle staff.

I was going to give any command squad gold trim on the shoulder pads, but then I think green and gold work well together. I may be crazy though because I also like green and orange.

Snot Green and Warpstone Green don't look the same in the pot, but dry to similar colors, IMO. Moreso if you use the Waywatcher Green glaze over the Warpstone Glow. I have some examples in my paint comparison thread, a link is in the Laws of the Lion sticky on this forum.

Good luck with your experimentation, hope it turns out well for you and let us see! :D

Archived