Black Deathwing Test Model

Thunder_god

Here's the first model of my Deathwing Knights:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/wrnjr/CFCB76CF-8A2C-458E-82A7-EC8D45377945-6839-000003AA0B721D2C.jpg

This is my take on the pre-bone white colors. I like it, but that's just me.

Let me know what y'all think.

Will

I like it personally! Looks a bit Templarish though with the white tabbard and red details, given that the bone seemed to become part of the DA pallette later I would be inclined to go for Dark red or Green tabbards but that said I still really like this model!

I saw that model and thought back to the HH book of the members of the Order with their white surpluses.

Good job!

(For it to be a Templar, it would need to use the harsh cold (gray) white or have a Red Tabard to be Sword Brethren. By using the warm (brown/bone) white, it makes it feel like a Dark Angel)

Out of interest, is it meant to be a Pre-Heresy figure, or a Post-Heresy one in the old colours? I say this only because the Crux Terminatus is a later symbol. :)

That aside, I like the look of it. The red for the DA symbols pops out nicely, and the studded greave really adds to the brutal, archaic look of the Pre-H scheme.

I saw that model and thought back to the HH book of the members of the Order with their white surpluses.

Good job!

(For it to be a Templar, it would need to use the harsh cold (gray) white or have a Red Tabard to be Sword Brethren. By using the warm (brown/bone) white, it makes it feel like a Dark Angel)

Indeed

Out of interest, is it meant to be a Pre-Heresy figure, or a Post-Heresy one in the old colours? I say this only because the Crux Terminatus is a later symbol. smile.png

That aside, I like the look of it. The red for the DA symbols pops out nicely, and the studded greave really adds to the brutal, archaic look of the Pre-H scheme.

that's one of the more confusing things. They haven't exactly said that teh badge happened after. Most of the stuff has said that the parts of the Emperor's armor were put into tha badge.

I am one going with it is after the death but I really wish they would state. Also there is a HH art showing a TDA with the Crux but that might have been a mistake. As said it only keeps saying that Legend this or Lore that that the Crux has a shard of the Big E's armor. Why I want more info from HH and PreHH era!!!!!!!!!! lqtm

I do like what you have done so far, good sir!

I love black terminators and I don't think yours looks too much like a Black Templar, Thunder_god. If you do want to make the white a bit less stark I suggest a wash of gryphonne sepia (or whatever the new equivalent is called) to give it a bit of brown shading.

Nice terminator, gives me inspiriation to paint my Angels of Vengeance ones, once I get my paints, and finish my current vow...grumble grumble, all the new models are distracting me lol

I am sure our brother dont say that he looks like a templar due to the icon but due to scheme. And honestly when I did see it I thought: Templars are gonna kit bash a couple of marshals and Chaplains outta those.

Needless to say the paint job IS awesome and I am sure when the model is completed it will make a nice Deathwing knight.

If I were to trim the tabbard in Caliban green, would that help?

Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to repaint the tabbards completely, as all five of my guys have been painted to this point, with white shaded tabbards...

Will

If I were to trim the tabbard in Caliban green, would that help?

Thanks for the input so far. I don't want to repaint the tabbards completely, as all five of my guys have been painted to this point, with white shaded tabbards...

Will

I would suggest just doing the upper part of the tabbard in green, instead of white, similar to the paint job on Asmodai. Just a small surface to repaint and it would get some DA green in there. Just a suggestion. Otherwise I like the result so far.

You could always go to a more bone/cream colour for the robes and instead of using pure white as an accent colour (such as on the knee pad) use red instead. Pre-Heresy/Rogue Trader era Dark Angels were largley black and red. For an extra nod to the old-school paint scheme the studs on the greaves could also be red.

I think it is mostly the pure white tabbard that is throwing people in to BT territory. But a more traditional bone-coloured robe would probably swing it back in to Pre-heresy Dark Angels for many.

I have to admit it reminded me of the cover for 3rd Editions core rules when I saw it. Still, I loves me some black terminators. Still considering doing all of my Deathwing Knights in black for a little extra fun.

I would suggest you do them as you like and leave our opinions in regards to Templars as is. Its YOUR chapter and none tells us that there are no DA on that scheme.

Nobody has said otherwise, simply offered opinions and suggestions, to be taken or left as they will be.

I would suggest you do them as you like and leave our opinions in regards to Templars as is. Its YOUR chapter and none tells us that there are no DA on that scheme.

Nobody has said otherwise, simply offered opinions and suggestions, to be taken or left as they will be.

Neither I meant you did! I just point out something I think its was worth mentioning. As you can see above I had the same opinion as most. It just boils out to that cause its his army.

I think the best part of this is how clean your black is - it's one colour (along with white) that I've always found hard to get clean and without streaks - what's your recipe? and will your DA be regular DAs or a successor or a DIY?

would love to see more of these guys Thunder.

I think the best part of this is how clean your black is - it's one colour (along with white) that I've always found hard to get clean and without streaks - what's your recipe? and will your DA be regular DAs or a successor or a DIY?

would love to see more of these guys Thunder.

These will be reagular DA's, just a little archaic, just like my Wolves.

The secret on the black is Vallejo's airbrushable black polyurethane primer. I shot the model black with my Iwata, just as if I was base coating my Wolves. But instead of spraying the next color, I drybrushed VGC Dark Bluegrey over the model, then cleaned it all up with more of the Vallejo primer brushed on.

That Vallejo primer is a Godsend. It self-levels better than any black I've ever used.

As to the bone white, its just many, many very thin layers until the color was suitably built up.

I'll use the same process on my bikers when they arrive from eBay. I've snagged most of an army- all Dark Vengeance models- for less than $80! 30 marines (3 full squads) 6 bikes & a Librarian. Not too bad.

Archived