Black Knights + SM Biker Librarian

L30n1d4s

The more I study the new DA book, the more I think Black Knights are one of the best units for their points in the codex (or even in the game, ranking up their with Death Cult Assassins in pound-fo-pound point efficiency). For just over the price of a SM Terminator, you get:

-Plasma Talons = TL-ed 18" Plasma Gun

-+1S and Rending due to Corvus Hammer

-2 attacks on profile + 1 for Corvus Hammer/BP combo = 3 attacks base, with +1 on the charge and an additional Hammer of Wrath attack on the charge

-Option to take Ravenwing grenade launchers, potentially dropping enemy WS, T, and I by -1 (so, on the charge against MEQs, Black Knights are putting out 4 attacks + Hammer of Wrath per model, hitting on 3+s, wounding on 2+s, all before the enemy can strike)

-Hit and Run to get them out of combat after their initial charge, setting up another round of rapid firing plasmas, followed by another charge if required

-Toughness 5, 3+ Save, and Skilled Rider, which gives them a 4+ Cover save just for moving and a 3+ cover save for Turbo-boosting

-ATSKNF, Leadership 9 for everyone (no sniping Sergeant to drop unit Ld), and Grim Resolve for very reliable control on the battlefield/in close combat

-Scout to get into position or Outflank and Teleporter Homers to support your army (especially DW)

That is A LOT of capability for a single unit and is quite potent in its own right (or used in conjunction with the rest of the codex... i.e. DW and Greenwing).

That said, I believe that adding an allied Space Marine Librarian could make them even more capable. If you attach a SM Libby with a Bike to a Black Knight Squad, the Librarian gains all the abilities of the Black Knights (i.e. Scouts, Hit and Run, Skilled Rider) and provides in return:

-Enhanced Deny the Witch ability

-Leadership 10

-Access to 2 SM Powers that you don't have to roll for.

This last part is key. After all, why not just take a DA Biker Librarian and use Divination to get Prescience? That's a good option, but I would argue that a SM Biker Librarian brings a couple of abilities that really enhanced Black Knights.

First, the infamous NULL ZONE power. While Plasma Talons are very good already, they are ridiculously good with Null Zone in play. Terminators (even TH/SS variants), MCs, even Dreadknights will melt to Plasma Talon fire if Null Zone is activated, and of course anything else is even more vulnerable to this combo.

Second, FORCE DOME gives Black Knights one of the key things that they lack: an Invul save. Adding a 5++ against both shooting (heres looking at you, Heldrake) and in Close Combat makes Black Knights much more survivable and multiplies their capabilities greatly.

Third, GATES OF INFINITY. Black Knights have plenty of innate mobility, but sometimes you really need to move a good 24" and still be able to rapid fire those Plasma Talons. When that is the case, or when you need to bounce to the other side of the board in a single turn and bypass a bunch of units locked in combat, then Gates of Infinity is a tremendous power.

Finally, a SM Librarian can bring the VORTEX OF DOOM ability. While this doesn't directly benefit the attached Black Knight Squad, it does add something they lack: heavy anti-tank fire power. Now that entire templates are full strength against vehicles, that S10 AP1 Small Blast can supplement the Plasma Talons against infantry (again, very good when used with Null Zone) or be used to target high AV units like Leman Russes, Land Raiders, etc.

Now obviously the Librarian can only take two of these, but based on his mission, you can choose the two you want, drop the Librarian in with your Black Knights, and go to town.

An example 1750 DA list using this concept would be:

1600/150

HQ [500]

-Sammael (200)

-Command Squad with Bolters, Standard of Devastation (165)

*Allied SM Librarian with SMB, and Null Zone/Force Dome (135)

TR [595]

-5 Ravenwing Bikers with Vet Sgt, 2 MGs (165)

-10 DA Tacticals with Bolters (140)

-10 DA Tacticals with Bolters (140)

*5 Allied SM Scouts with Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Tellion, ML (150)

FA [570]

-10 Black Knights with 2 Ravenwing GLs (420)

*Allied SM Stormtalon TL-LC (150)

HS [85]

-ADL with Icarus LC (85)

Tacticals + Command Squad hold objectives and use the Standard of Devasation to put out some Dakka (100 Bolter shots a turn at 24"). Scouts/Telion man Aegis Defense Line and Icarus LC for backfield fire support (2+ cover save from Cloaks + Stealth + ADL). Sammael, SM Librarian, and Black Knights Scout up, then normal move to get within Rapid Fire Range of a critical enemy unit on Turn 1, followed by a charge as necessary. Storm Talon provides anti-air capability and some anti-tank firepower in a pinch. Finally, Ravenwing Bikers stay in reserve, then come in via Outflank later in the game to threat enemy armor (melta guns) and/or seize objectives.

Have you checked post 6th Ed FAQs for the SM Lib? They have amended a lot of "Grants any unit they join.." to "Grants any <<codex>> units they join..." around most of the FAQs, would check but don't have access right now.

I gotta agree with the OP. black knights are probably the killiest unit in the codex. Nice to have one of those for a change.

Seriously. I only got to play with them for a few turns before a blob squad of IG ate them, but they were just insane. All the things I did to my opponent with them made his jaw drop and hit the floor. It's really nice to have that :D

With that said, like the noble Whirlwind, I think they are unit that will always be in my lists.

I think the real strength of the Black Knights is their flexibility. They are highly mobile, tougher than average, one of the most potent shooting units in the games, and very respectable in CC. On top of that, they have significant "force multiplier"capabilities with their Teleporter Homers and multi-purpose, never-leave-home-without-one Ravenwing Grenade Launchers.

With all that said, I believe it is wise not to treat them as an invincible "sledgehammer" unit AKA Deathwing Knights, Trygons, Thunderwolves, Dreadknights, Paladins, etc. I believe Black Knights are the kind of unit that really reward a player who uses them carefully and thoughtfully, but they can also be a disappointment to someone who employs them like a "point and click" unit, since at the end of the day they are still 3+ save unit and so will die to normal anti-MEQ weapons (i.e. MLs, Plasma, Power Weapons, etc.).

One of the reasons I think the SM Biker Librarian adds so much to them is that they can enhance their mobility (Gates of Infinity), firepower (Null Zone or Vortex of Doom), and survivability (Force Dome), giving them even more ability to be employed by a skillful player.

If none of those suit you, then Space Marine Libbys can generate two powers from Biomancy, which DA Librarians do not get access to. While this is random, most of the options can be quite useful for Black Knights:

-Endurance (giving Black Knights FNP is very good)

-Enfeeble (stacking -1S/-1T with -1 T from Rad grenades is almost criminal.... you are causing Instant Death to MEQs with Bolter shots at that point)

-Iron Arm (turning the Biker Libby into a T6-9, S5-7, EW beast makes him a great unit to absorb hits for the Black Knights)

-Warp Speed (for challenges, giving the Biker Libby +D3 attacks and Initiative is a decent boon)

-Life Leech (helps keep the Libby alive by restoring wounds and gives the Black Knights squad even more AP2 goodness, though they really don't need it)

-Hemmorage (not the greatest, but a decent weapon against low Toughness hordes, which is something the Black Knights definitely could use)

Finally, Smite, the Primaris power.... S4 is not the greatest, but again, using Rad grenades from the Ravenwing GLs, suddenly you are wounding on 3+s... throw in Enfeeble as well and you are wounding on 2+s.

Archived