DA characters get chainsword/bolter for free in addition

CheezeFezt

Was making an army list and noticed that characters get chainsword & bolter for free in addition to any other wargears. The wording is "blah may take items from the Melee Weapons and/or Ranged Weapons". Under the Melee Weapons, chainsword is free. Under Ranged Weapons, bolter is free. In the FAQ, characters may take any and all upgrades. I don't recall reading any restriction within the BRB where one is limited to one ranged weapon & one close combat weapon.

For example, a ravenwing sergeant can get an additional chainsword for free, thus gaining +1 A in close combat (with the standard bolt pistol). A librarian can get a bolter for free, in addition to his standard bolt pistol.

You get points for effort, but your missing this text from the Wargear list:

Ranged Weapons

'A model can replace his Bolt Pistol and/or close combat weapon with on of the following:'

Melee Weapons

'A model can replace one weapon with one of the following:'

So, you can't just load up with what you like, you have to replace stuff first.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in the Wargear List it clearly states that the model can replace one weapon or Boltpistol and/or Close combat weapon. So, no extra attack for a Ravenwing Sergeant because, if he want the Chainsword, he has to replace the Bolt pistol with it.

I always say, "Read every word, on every page in the codex, because GW likes to hide things. When you are done reading every word, on every page, then post questions if you still have any." That tends to keep such threads as this to a minimum, but even with this level of scrutiny we forget things, so a few threads will still slip through, but at least they will usually be a bit more obscure than this, such as the answer being hidden in a sidebar in a separate section of the book...somewhere, not at the very beginning of the section one is looking at. :P

And that day the worlds IQ dropped down a margine. Ok stop beating the guy. Not all of us are good readers. For the damn of me I couldnt see that Azrael Had to be the warlord with a person next to me pointing me in the right direction. Some of us are Blind and light minded. Guess thats why the creator made you all seeing hawks to guide us.

Seesh....

Archived