Land speeder with heavy flamer snapshot?

irwit

Hi all

In teh rule book it says if a vehicle moves flat out then it may only snapshot.

Snapshot rule says you fire at BS1 and blast marker weapons cannot snap fire.

Does this mean that my land speeder CAN move flat out and use the heavy flamer as normal ?

Im no rules guru obviously but was flicking through my copy and wondered what the answer was and couldn't find it ?

No.the snap shot rule states 'some weapon types, such as TEMPLATE and ordnance, or those that have certain special rules, such as blast, cannot be fired as snap shots. its important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a ballistic skill- such as the necron monoliths portal of exile- cannot be 'fired' as a snap shot.' (brb p.13)

Well in 6th you cannot move flat out and fire any weapons, because moving flat out happens in the shooting phase instead of shooting.

However the Land Speeder can move 12" (cruising speed) then shoot 2 weapons (see rules for fast vehicles).

The standard tactic for Flamer/Melta Land Speeders is to deploy them as far forward as possible then move them behind cover in turn 1

then rush a unit in turn 2, inflict a few casualties, then (most likely) get killed.

A dual Heavy Flamer Speeder can inflict a lot of hurt on 4+ saves or worse (especially when combined with Vulkan, who makes them both

twin-linked allowing you to re-roll failed to-wound rolls.

While the dual Multi-melta Speeder again can be great against vehicles, but will require careful positioning (as an opponent running a

vehicle heavy list would be a fool to let it live beyond turn 1). Again Vulkan makes this option better thanks to twin-linking.

One of the better tactics is the 5 man scout squad with a combi-melta on the sergeant (BS4) in a Land Speeder Storm with Multi-melta (BS3),

again you'll want Vulkan for twin-linked goodness, but thanks to scout 12" plus 6" move plus 6" deployment, your scouts will be 24" across the

table, the speeder 18", almost certainly putting both weapons within 2D6 penetration range, with re-rolls to hit (Vulkan) you stand a good chance

of doing some damage to an enemy vehicle (or two!). Of course, both the speeder and the scouts will then likely die horribly, but for only 150pts

they stand a reasonable chance of getting their points back before doing so.

Alternatively (and more on-topic re flamers) a Land Speeder Storm with Heavy Flamer can scout 12" then move 12" and still shoot the Heavy

Flamer. Shame it can't have 2 of them but still, that could ruin a unit of Eldar Pathfinders day, or put a big dent in a Scarab Swarm etc. and this

version of the Storm is only 60pts, plus you could take 3 of them in a Primary Detachment and it's BS3 doesn't matter as you're using a template.

(I may have to invest in one as an ally for my Space Wolves, as I'm a sucker for a dirty tactic (or ten))

Laterz...

Archived