Hello brothers!

Bomber

New'ish DA player here. Only played them once so far (6E rules, 4E codex). Originally started on Tau (I know...filthy Xenos) but started working on a DA army as my second (and likely primary) army after reading the Heresy DA books. I luckily had a friend who had a ton of marines to unload. Enough my wife has a good Blood Angels army and my DA army had a very good start. My current inventory looks like this:

Belial

Seraphicus

Couple Captains

1 Librarian (Terminator armor)

48 Tactical Marines

7 Devastators

40 Terminators (20 old school, 20 new ones)

4 Land Raiders

3 Dreads

1 Venerable Dread

1 Rhino (with kit to make it razorback as well)

1 Landspeeder (magged weapons to add missile launcher)

I know there are models I should look at getting from the new codex (which I have yet to pick up), but any suggestions on what more I should get? I'm pretty confident I can run a decently competitive DW or DW/GW list without issue. Bikes are on my list. I will probably start with some DV bikes since they are cheap and go from there (10 of my new terminators are from the DV box as are 20 of my tac marines...all for less than $40 via ebay woot). Anyone had a chance to playtest the Darkshroud/Vengeance or the Talon/Nehpilim. I know on paper especially the fliers look pretty meh, but on the bigger picture with a good AA army, they look like they'd be great anti-infantry.

Welcome brother - enjoy your stay on the Rock, just stay away from cell 42.

I would actually go for either Black Knights or Deathwing knights as they are going to be a mainstay in any DA army. Otherwise, you could look at the FW mortis contemptor. Its on my to buy list anyway! :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I have a shopping list that include an Aegis Defense line for my devastators and a couple of flyers (Nephilim with Lascannons - for decent anti air, if pricy).  I need some bikes and with DV set not expensive to pick up thankfully.  Get some of those and a box of Black Knights and I'll be good.  If/when I pick up some bikes I will be getting a Darkshroud.  Playing Tau for so long gives me hope that it's almost as awesome as disruption pods.  After a decent spending spree to augment what I had (mostly trading computer tech skills for the funds woot!) I have enough Dark Angels to build just about any list available to Dark Angels short Ravenwing. 

My final tally is a shade over 6500 for the moment and covers  is the following:

Belial
Seraphicus
Chapter Master from DV
Librarian from DV
3 PS captains (that are now Chapter Masters lol)
Librarian in terminator armor
50 Tac Marines (4 Plasma Cannons, 2 Plasma Guns, 2 Flamers, rest bolters)
10 Devastators (4 missile launcher, 3 heavy bolter, 2 lascannon)
30 Terminators from DV (4 storm bolter, 1 assault cannon, 4 power fist, 1 chainfist)
5 Deathwing Knights
5 Deathwing Command Squad
20 Old School Terminators 15 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 5 Lightning Claws
3 Dreadnoughts with lascannons
Venerable Dreadnought with autocannon
2 Land Raiders
2 Land Raider Crusaders
Rhino (with razorback and whirlwind options)
1 Land Speeder

I probably went overboard on terminators but really the DV models look great and were dirt cheap.  I don't think I paid more than $18 a squad including shipping for them.  Going back to starting building all this over the last two years expecting a codex update (that honestly happened faster than I planned on so not complaining) has helped absorb the expense AND I got everything you see in here for less than $500 makes me very happy.  I'm horrible at painting so a friend is helping me out on that and he is almost done with my terminators.  Can't wait to play them the first time.

Sounds awesome. I've been piecing together my DA for years now (since right before our fourth edition codex came out) around other armies that have come and gone (IG, and Necrons as well as various fantasy armies) and only now am I really focusing on them. My DA models come from every core release since TBFM box set. Nothing like NOT paying fifty bucks for models! Lol. But then, my gaming budget is practically nonexistent. So, what can I say? Lol

• 5 months later...

Hey Bomber,

Welcome to the Rock (really wish I could have Sean Connery's voice for that), anyway the only thing I could say is you might want some fast moving elements/ transports. I saw you posted you're getting bikes which is good of course. I prefer Drop Pods since I had an anti Rhino kick for 5th edition but you're preference is of course yours. You seem pretty set there for everything else if your PA marines have heavy weapons you should be pretty good to go. Also for the nephilim I've found the anti air just isn't al that hot. However if you arm it with the avenger gatling gun is great for light vehicle killer and pretty good for anti infantry. It also gets BS5 with strafing run rule. General consensus is that Flakk Missile Launchers are about the most versatile best Anti Air we've got in our codex. Kind of a bummer since the model looks awesome but your mileage may vary in your Meta. Good luck and welcome one of the best groups around in my opinion.

DoC Sgt

I am kind of on hold on buying more models at the moment but pods are certainly an option.  My "fast" plan for now is to deathwing assault sacrifice and create a bit of chaos and take advantage of it for now.  In the long run, fast attack options will take over that role.  Bikes are handy because I can pick them up cheaply.  Dark Vengeance has helped fill out my terminators and my power armor so well.  I have played Tau for so long winning doesn't matter.  Having fun is all that matters.  Besides chaos is fun too.  LOL  Should have seen my first oppenent who played me when I took two land raiders in a 750 point game (2x 5 Blood Angels assault marines and a captain)  LOL

I decided to forgo the fliers for now and picked up a pair of contemptor mortis dreads.  My friends and the place I play allow the forgeworld models even in their monthly tournaments so that gives me enough anti-air.  Sadly because Tau got updated two I'm splitting my efforts on rounding out the armies.  Right now Tau are getting a little bit of love since they were my first army. 

Archived