Writing batreps?

ianj253

Hey guys, I was planning on playing in a local 1750 tomorrow and was thinking of writing up some batreps for my games. I think it will help me analyze my games more as I have some solid material to reflect on, and it gives me the opportunity to share my games with community here on the B&C. I was mainly looking for some tips how you guys go about keeping track of what happened in games.

Do you take short notes or do you get more descriptive?

Do you do this during your opponents turn or at another time?

Answers to those questions and any other insight would be helpful! Thanks.

Here's a link to the list I'll be using for those interested

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=262719

I've never tried doing batreps of tournaments, but it seems to me that taking a picture of the whole table at the end of each player's turn would help you remember the battle without disrupting the flow of things. I imagine a tournament opponent would get (justifiably) upset if you are delaying the game by constant note taking. Maybe jot a few notes while he's doing his movement phase.

I've never entered a tournament but for my games I always take photos at the end of each player's turn and occasionally of other interesting action that I know I'll want to write up/focus on. It can help to stick a note in the corner of the table with the turn number on it (see my battle report: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=267923). I don't take written notes.

I have heard of a player who used a dictation machine, leaving it running to record everything. Not sure how opponents would feel about that!

Archived