Assault Marines

In looking at the 'dex again over lunch, I noticed that 5 assault marines cost 5 points more than 3 Ravenwing bikers. Our fast attack slots have become somewhat competitive between the various good choices and I was trying to figure out when I might ever prefer to take assault marines over bikers. Bikers have longer shooting range, hit and run, jink saves, higher toughness, and the list goes on. By comparison, the assault marines only seem to have 5 more attacks. I have a whole squad of assault marines and I suddenly think they will be sitting on the shelf a lot this edition.

Does anyone see where they might prefer assault marines over the other fast attack slots?

Honestly, our assault marines aren't a real choice when comparing to all the uses ravenwing bikers can perform. The DA's are not known for assaulty marines, as can be seen in our codex. He'll even C:SM can do it better than us. Best bet if you want to use assault marines, ally with blood angels and remake the angels of death.

Assault marines have never been anything to get excited over. While I do think the ravenwing is slightly better, I think its worth noting that Assault marines without packs can get a free transport. If you ever want extra rhinos for target saturation & cover or want extra drop pods to adjust the number of pods per turn....assault marines are the way to go.

Also don't 3 bikers have 1 attack each (3), while 5 assault marines have 2 attacks each(10)?

Assault marines are ablative bodies with lots of CC attacks. Thats about all they do.

I've been thinking about this actually. In a pure greenwing force, they could be used as to tie up scary units like canoptek wraiths. They don't have to win, just survive 2 rounds of combat. With grim resolve, I think they stand a decent chance depending on how many you have. If you're using the SoD, they could be good at keeping scary assault units from hitting your gun line, or to keep shooting units occupied for a bit. Anyone else have any ideas?

OK, I can see the singe throw away back field assassin squad concept. And if you did opt for the free transport, you'd have to consider that in the price tag. but the free transport raises the question of the easy FB/more kill point problem in certain missions.

The DA's are not known for assaulty marines, as can be seen in our codex. He'll even C:SM can do it better than us.

Open your eyes. Our Assault marines are effectively the same as those in C: SM 5E now, so it is impossible for one thing to do something better than another when they are the same. Armed with flamers, our squad comes out to 10 points less even, and that is with the vet. sgt. upgrade. Guess I'll use those 10 points to get a combi-flamer. Now the points are even, and our Assault Squad is actually better than the vanilla one (for now).

The 5-man Assault Squad - jump packs = Rhino/Drop pod for an effective 20 point discount is one way to rack up army content, but GW should have gotten away from this "something for nothing" discount crap. It is a bad, bad idea.

Archived