Magnus Thane

I picked up a landraider on Internet and i'm not entirely sure what to do with it.

I have a lot of Greenwing (but no vehicules). 5-6 tacsquads; Several squads of veterans. Full command squad. Lots of HQs for them. (though all non hero). Plus some extra stuff painted up (variety of heavy weapons etc)

I was wondering could it work to make it a Greenwing Landraider and dump 9 vets and a company Master in it? (or a chaplain?)

And if so with what weapon loadouts?

Given my lack of vehicules of the non Ravenwing nature (i only have a DW Dread and a regular Dread besides the LR) i was actually also considering doubling my LR's. Effectively fielding a potential pure Greenwing with 2 landraiders, a Dread and the rest being veterans, company master, chaplain (or psyker) with a wide variety of tactical marins and heavy suppport.

Too vanilla for pure Greenwing to be effective?

I do have some unpainted Ravenwing lingering about from the DV set and that batallion box. But that is only to be used/painted at the end of the road.

I do have a sizeable chunk of Deathwing termies to paint and i'm considering adding Belial and a 10 man squad of Deathwing Knights to it all. Would it be useful to clunk the termies in the LR? Or would that be a waste.

Given the excellent DS rules nowadays it seems almost a waste despite termies being the traditional users of the vehicule.

I'm just working on this idea:

- land raider crusader with command squad inside carrying a Standard of Devastation

- joined by a techmarine with Power field generator

Tactical squads backing them up, one heavy weapons per squad just in case- no spec weapons ,sarges with combi flamers/meltas.

Librarian with 2 powers

Crusader has 4++ for PFG, bolters get salvo 2/4

Any dread hanging around LRC will also get 4++ from PFG

I only got the codex yesterday so I haven't read it yet bar a few bits here and there. But the techmarine is useful now?

I don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. (not that i mind it becoming useful - it's a beautiful miniature)

Is it worth fielding two regular Dreads?

Also the Pred and the Whirlwind, with the beating vehicules took. Is it worth fielding one of these?

The only way I could really see land-raider veterans being practical would be with Azrael attached to turn them into pseudo terminators that still have the ability to sweep their enemies, a decently geared command squad or veteran squad ends up costing almost as much as a terminator squad I find, but maybe that's my poor restraint.

Having said that, when I use that squad I plan on throwing it in a razorback or drop pod anyway., I've just never been comfortable with the points cost of a land raider.

I only got the codex yesterday so I haven't read it yet bar a few bits here and there. But the techmarine is useful now?

I don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. (not that i mind it becoming useful - it's a beautiful miniature)

Also the Pred and the Whirlwind, with the beating vehicules took. Is it worth fielding one of these?

Haven't tried Techmarine- but in this case, I think he has nice synergy.

Give him a PFG, and Night Visor and Auspex.

For 80ish pts you get a guy that gives a LRC and anyone inside 3" a 4++. He has a bolter, so if stationary he shoots 4 times. He ca repair the LRC and if joined to a tac squad he gives them the ability to ignore night fight.

Coped with a 2+ Sv...he is solid I think

Whirlwind is awesome.

In 6th, ordnance weapons cause casualties to be removed from the center of the template...meaning if you place it over a heavy weapon guy...he is the first to go if the unit fails any saves.

It' like a big sniper that needs no LOS.

Furthermore, it ignores cover from ADL if you hit inside the fortification. All that for 65 pts...

Hmmm I think in that case I'll get a whirlwind and a LR Crusader.

In the regular LR I can dump some sort of support assault unit. My Crusader can hold my hammer.

And my Whirlwind can stay behind and shoot at stuff that is likely to be a large threat.

Whirlwind is awesome. In 6th, ordnance weapons cause casualties to be removed from the center of the template...meaning if you place it over a heavy weapon guy...he is the first to go if the unit fails any saves. It' like a big sniper that needs no LOS. Furthermore, it ignores cover from ADL if you hit inside the fortification. All that for 65 pts...

Other than it's barrage causing the wounds to be taken from the center of the template, everything else is correct. I loved the Whirlwind in the last codex because it was so cheap and put out some good firepower, and then its points were lowered. So now it's a no brainier (to me at least) to take it. 95% of the time it makes up its points and more, so I always try and bring one!

Whirlwind is awesome. In 6th, ordnance weapons cause casualties to be removed from the center of the template...meaning if you place it over a heavy weapon guy...he is the first to go if the unit fails any saves. It' like a big sniper that needs no LOS. Furthermore, it ignores cover from ADL if you hit inside the fortification. All that for 65 pts...

Other than it's barrage causing the wounds to be taken from the center of the template, everything else is correct. I loved the Whirlwind in the last codex because it was so cheap and put out some good firepower, and then its points were lowered. So now it's a no brainier (to me at least) to take it. 95% of the time it makes up its points and more, so I always try and bring one!

Whirlwind is ordnance ,barrage and large blast

Now the BRB, page 34, barrage weapons ,second paragraph with a dot:

"To determine whether a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is allowed a cover save,and when determining wound allocation,always assume the shot is coming from the center of the blast marker,instead from the firing model"

thumbsup.gif Yes, it's even more awesome now.

Depends on the dreadnought's load out really. 2 rifledreads (autocannons on each side) are definitely worth it if you have the points and the elite slots open. The S7 is good at hurting light armor, monstrous creatures, and infantry alike. Don't let the AP4 fool you, what it lacks in AP it makes up for in volume of fire. Additionally, since it's weapons are twin-linked it stands a decent chance of hitting a flyer.

As far as preds go, depends on the load out. If your army lacks anti-infantry, the "dakka" pred (autocannon, side-sponson heavy bolters) is a good way to make up for it. If tank hunting is what you need, autocannon w/ side sponson lascannons will work well too, while keeping the price down. Throw in the AV13 front, and these guys rock at Big Guns Never Tire. Put them behind a little cover for added fun.

Whirlwind is ordnance ,barrage and large blast

Now the BRB, page 34, barrage weapons ,second paragraph with a dot:

"To determine whether a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is allowed a cover save,and when determining wound allocation,always assume the shot is coming from the center of the blast marker,instead from the firing model"

thumbsup.gifYes, it's even more awesome now.

Yeah I realize it's Ordnance Barrage on the Whirlwind. Only reason I said something was because your post made it sound that it was the ordnance rule, not the barrage rule, giving the "wound allocation shenanigans" (as one of my opponents put it) :P

Archived