Night Visor + Auspex suckerpunch

Garath

Have you guys considered how potentially to abuse this item to the fullest ?

I just realized how to this thing can be a huge help to build the pressure early on. Say you're playing night fight and go first (which can happen quite often).

That first turn under night fight is usually spent grabbing good positions for later turns.

Orks and Tyranids use it to run as far forward to get to you turn 2-3.

Having Nigh Visor on a IC joining a heavy weapon squad letting them ignore night fight might score an early KP- first blood in fact.

A squad in cover 24"- 36" away normally has cover 3+...night visor makes this a 5+

How does auspex come into play here? Auspex reduces cover by 1...making this 6+

3 easy ways to do it:

- Deathwing assault within 12" (joined by an IC)

- Bikes using scout move to move closer

- Drop pod assault

I played a game vs Tyranids in december and the guy was all over my lines with Genestealers. They have infiltrate, move through cover and gain FNP ....

They are a pain...except if I hit them first.

Other uses are simple enough- stick IC in a really shooty squad and pop a transport from downtown.

Deep striking Termies that have a re-roll to hit when thy come in , and ignore night fight is just sweet.

And all that for 10 pts total...

In 12" range. Not suitable for a far away DevSquad. More for infiltrating scouts, but then the IC would have to have Infiltrate and we do not have Sergeant Naaman anymore...

Oh...forgot to mention... (I really ought to work on my case presentation)

2 options :

1.I have one IC with n.Visor and Auspex. Either the IC and squad (like bikes) come close to negate both cover and night fight (night fight would be negated from getting near anyway or they ignore just Night fight.

In that case devastators would target vehicles that don't get a good cover anyway(unless they are really hidden ).

2. Two IC with auspex+ night visor

Then all sorts of options arise. Techmarine on bike joining a bike squad to use auspex for other squad joined by the other IC's Night Visor joining a squad of tacticals/devastators .

Naaman counterpart (as Naaman died long ago) would be cool- no such luck

Yes, there was a roll-back with the release of 6th edition. The timeline stops right before the 13th, which has never happened yet, so whatever you played before is invalidated in up-to-date fluff. There has never been a 13th Black Crusade. There will be one just now, Chaos is gathering on Cadia's doorstep.

Makes sense, I suppose. While the results of the campaign made it seem like a stalemate (Abaddon has a foothold on Cadia the planet, but the Imperium controls the space around it), fluff - and novels especially - have leaned much more toward it being a victory for Chaos.

And, to be brutally honest, I think it's better that way. Whether you lean toward the "hopeless dystopia" theme of 40k or toward the "it's always darkest before the dawn" theme of the primarchs and the Emperor riding back to save the universe, it works out better if Abaddon and his hordes ride out having broken the Cadian Gate.

In 12" range. Not suitable for a far away DevSquad. More for infiltrating scouts, but then the IC would have to have Infiltrate and we do not have Sergeant Naaman anymore...

A unit with scouts confers this ability on any character that joins it... and a character that has this confers it to any unit he joins...

BTW.. same with Skilled Rider and Hit & Run...

Which is a HUGE boost for Ravenwing, now any Libby/Chap/Techmarine that joins them on a bike gains all three of those USR's. And doesn't hurt them as it did last edition...

A unit with scouts confers this ability on any character that joins it... and a character that has this confers it to any unit he joins... BTW.. same with Skilled Rider and Hit & Run... Which is a HUGE boost for Ravenwing, now any Libby/Chap/Techmarine that joins them on a bike gains all three of those USR's. And doesn't hurt them as it did last edition...

Ah, my bad then - I thought it only worked in the IC -> unit direction, not both ways. I love the possibilities it opens :)

• 2 months later...

I have been pondering this tactic and have decided to use a slightly modified version in my 750 point game one Escalation League starting the 24th.

Libby ML+1 w/JP,  Infravisor & Prescience. Sitting with my Devs w/2xHB, 2xPC on turn one.

Archived