Mantis warriors

Fallen11

I just red IA 10 and stumbled on Ahazra Redth. Since all infantry can infiltrate it awfully reminds me on my old infiltrating alpha legionteehee.gif which I enjoyed greatly! Anyone plays him,what's your experience with infiltrating basically whole army?

One of the thing that strikes me is to ally them with IG. Add 2x vendetta for decent AA and more AT punch. In command squad put master of fleet,so that enemy has -2 on reserve rolls(-1 from Ahazra and -1 from fleet officer),dunno do they add up? Put single veteran squad in vendetta,and guardsmen marbo! Marbo would be kinda 'fluffy' with mantis warriors?

Rest fill with tacticals,some sternguard sound also nice since you can put those nasty bolters where you want them,devs with ML to keep em cheap,and you have Vendetta for more serious armor.

Maybe some terminators since you can have teleport homers close to enemy.

I'd love to but it requires you to pretty much tailor your whole list towards FW rules which i'm not that keen on. I myself use FW rules alot and so do my close friends but many many other don't and rather that tailor whole lists to include them i try to have stuff that i can drop in and out of my lists without too much trouble :)

Actually, I think Ahazra Redth is ideal to combine with a 50 man IG Blob squad behind an Aegis Defense Line. A blob Squad with 5 Lascannons and 5 Power Axes runs you 400 pts, plus 100 points for the ADL with Quad gun, so 500 points total.

Ahazra gives the IG squad:

-ATSKNF

-Leadership 10

-A BS4 model to man the Quad Gun

-Enhanced "Deny the Witch" with his PML(2)

-He can take Divination, so that means he can get Prescience, giving the whole 50 man squad re-rolls in shooting/CC. 5 Lascannons with re-rolls to hit can threaten almost any enemy unit from turn 1 and provides a very strong fire base for the rest of your army. Even if the squad is charged, it will have 15 S4 AP2 attacks with re-rolls to hit.

-He can use his unique Psychic Power to give the Squad Shrouded and, in essence, Defensive Grenades. What that means is that, when placed behind an Aegis Defense Line, the entire 50 man squad has a 2+ cover save all the time, without having to go to ground (they can still move and shoot too). Also, with defensive grenades, they greatly mitigate enemy attacks on the charge.

In summary, Ahazra + 50 man IG Blob makes an exceptional defensive fire base around which the rest of your army can maneuver.

He's the only C:SM librarian with access to Divination, guess why I take him.

Infiltrate opens up a whole new variety of tactics, since you can also outflank, and his -1 to reserves is also helpful. Mirage is dead useful. I love taking him with my demi-company lists. With some of the IA characters, I admit there is a fair bit of list tailoring required (Tyberios, Courbray, and Blaylock come to mind) but characters like Lias, Ahazra, Kane, Sumatris and Mir'san can actually fit fine into normal lists, they just change some of the tactical aspects you have open. Overall, I find the Badab characters for the most part well balanced.

I find that people look to the IG powerplays too much, and that makes them too predictable. I look at the above blob and I think "great, 665 points in one spot, close together. Thunderfire cannons, Whirlwinds, do your thing." 2+ cover save is great....until you get hit by pie plates that ignore it, or any number of other tactics that make that squad redundant. I've played someone that did something like that, he also said whirlwinds were bad....until they wiped out his entire blob first turn.

We are the Space Marines, the Emperor's Angels of Death. The day I need a Guardsmen to do a job in place of my Marines is the day I shelve my bolter and hang up my power armour.

Archived