Deathwing Stg

Thantoes

This may need to be moved to the rules section but since it pertains only to 1 line of the new DW codex I figure the DA forum is the place to ask.

In the entry for the DW sgt's it states that his weapon is a power sword and not just a power weapon. It also does not allow him to change this to a maul/axe/halbard.

Does this mean I am now pretty much going to have to rip the arms off all my TDA sgt's as they are all armed with power weapons that are not swords or would I be able to get away with just calling them all "swords" as the sgt can only be armed with 1 type of power weapon as per the codex so there could not really be any confusion?

In a friendly game I don't see why you can't just leave them. But inform your opponent that they are in fact power swords and not mauls/axes.

Though in a tournament scene, where it is WYSIWYG, it probably won't fly.

Unless I'm mistaken, the last codex also said power sword and not power weapon, so I don't think it was a legal choice to begin with.

Indeed it does. Just another reminder that I havent played with my DW since 5th when all power weapons were equal. Oh well, swords it is which kinda sucks from a modelling sperspective having only swords.

In 5th all Power Weapons were equal...

Then 6th came and made Axes, Swords, Mauls different...

The only distinction given was use whats on the model, no price difference nothing.

At that point people kinda went crazy with modeling changing anything that used to saw Power Sword to Power Weapon. (it was in the FAQ)

And now we have come full circle, to the Deathwing Sgt being stuck with a Power Sword, again...

I hope that they FAQ it to mean Power Weapon, which would make sense, since a Tactical Squad Sgt can use any power weapon...

It appears to me to be another case of cut-n-paste-itus that has infected the codex in several areas.

Something that would have gotten fixxed if they did real QA, had Playtesting with real gamers, and listened to feedback...

Instead they are so insistent upon secrecy that it hurts the quality of their product.

And IMO the secrecy is so that they do not give other companies like *cough*cough* Chapterhouse time to create and bring to market models before GW releases them. It has nothing to do with all the LoTR/Hobbit BS, thats just a cover. We get rushed thru testing product, so that they can sell a few more models...

The sergeant can replace all of his weapon with a hammer and a shield at the exact same point cost than his brothers.

So why not, after all it's a good idea for a character to have such protection/punch combo.

The sword was the weapon traditionally used by DW sarges that's why it is specified - I don't see it as a cut'n'paste error at all. I have no problem with the sword myself.

From WYSIWYG purposes I'd have no issues with any other type of (power) weapon on a model, provided everyone knows what it should be :)

Cheers

I

Do note that they went so far as to FAQ the power weapon on a Black Knight Sergeant to be a power sword/maul, and plenty of other FAQs have been restrictive, like for the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard who were FAQd so their power weapons could only be swords or axes.

I'm pretty sure GW wanted Deathwing Sergeants to have swords for one reason or another, it wasn't just a copy/paste error.

Archived