Combat Squads and Transports

FragEmAll

Coming from a Vanilla Marine background, I was stunned recently to read the 'combat squads' rule in the C:DA book (Page 28 of the UK paper edition) It says the following:

"Note that two combat squads split from the same unit can embark in the same transport vehicle, provided its transport capacity allows"

Now i may be a bit naive here, but i'm sure this isn't available to other armies. I'm now thinking that there are some tactics to utilise here, especially with Veteran squads, with their profusion of combi weapons. Possible ideas would be half with combi melta's and half with combi-flamers. Dive out of different sides of the rhino to roast a squad and slag a transport in the same phase. i doubt people would expect that.

Could use it with Land Raiders as well i guess.

Sorry if you all already know this, and its old news, but it is a new one on me.

I actually do something similar with my sternguard vets. I stick 10 in a drop pod with 5x combi-meltas and 2x heavy flamers, combat squad out of the pod, and lay waste to my opponent. There's no reason that similar tactics can't be used for company vets

I actually do something similar with my sternguard vets. I stick 10 in a drop pod with 5x combi-meltas and 2x heavy flamers, combat squad out of the pod, and lay waste to my opponent. There's no reason that similar tactics can't be used for company vets

oh yes, i know Drop pods can do it. they always have been able to do it, as its in the pod special rules that you combat squad out of it. up until now, you haven't been able to do it out of normal transports though.

This is very old news, and has been FAQed as such for all Marine lists since the first set of 6th Edition FAQs.

Very handy even with Tactical Marines. Combat squad the MM, stick it with the special, and you've got two decent weapons that can shoot at different targets.

Your not reading "Raven-of-the-wing's" post correctly

He is saying that a ten man tac squad can now break down to two 5 man combat squads with EACH squad taking a heavy weapon.

That's TWO heavy weapons per 10 tactical marines!

Statto

'There is only war!'

He is saying that a ten man tac squad can now break down to two 5 man combat squads with EACH squad taking a heavy weapon.

That's TWO heavy weapons per 10 tactical marines!

Statto

'There is only war!'

Which is not the case... at five you get spec or hvy... at 10 you get whatever you didnt take the first time

Sorry to say but neither are you. A ten-man Dark Angels tactical squad may have a special weapon, or a heavy weapon, or one of each. Raven's point is that a 5-man Dark Angels tactical squad may have a special weapon or a heavy weapon. Other chapters may only choose the heavy weapon if they increase the squad to 10 men.

Yeah all space marines get a special at five strong

Actually, C:SM can't take a heavy or special at 5 man, they're just stuck with bolters and whatever you bought the sarge.

C:SW greyhunters, and C:BA Tacticals get specials at 5.

C:SW greyhunters get another special at 10

C:BA Tacticals get a heavy at 10

C:SM get a Heavy and Special only at 10

and GreyKnights are just crazy...

So yes Greenwing Tacticals have a nice advantage. It is not quite the return of the Las/plas unit in a RB, but still a nice difference.

Archived