Ravenwing Combat Squad question

templarphoenix

Being a Ravenwing fan, after reading the new dex, I have some questions about ravenwing combat squad...

So the rule means, for example, I can held the bikes in reserve, and deploy AB and LS purchased with the bikes on the battlefield?

Or the rule simply like the old one, they deploy together just work as different units?

AFAIK, you can't keep half a unit in reserve. So even though the AB and LS operate independently, the whole unit must be deployed at once and you can't keep half of it in reserves. So it seems to me, like it works exactly the same as the old codex. Hope this helps!

This also fixes the argument about if you buy a Landspeeder, do the Ravenwing get to outflank if held in reserve.

To quote someone famous, "Yes you Can!" pirate.gif

Not only that; you can, if you want, deploy the bikes to get plenty of teleport homers on the board and keep the attack bike in reserve as an outflanking multi-melta threat.

I have the digital codex, and it just says they act as "completely independently units." While there's nothing saying that have to be deployed at the same time, there's nothing saying that they don't. It also doesn't mention when a RW unit combat squads, as it does for normal combat squads (i.e. at deployment). Does this mean I can keep half of a RW attack unit in reserves and deploy the other half? The rules aren't clear on this, and I think this is something that is going to have to be FAQ'd.

Now, this is my interpretation on how it's written, but I think that the bikes, the attack bike, and the speeder are bought as one, and separate on deployment (where the "completely independent units" part takes effect), using combat squads as a precedent. This would also mean that attack squads with landspeeders still can't outflank. Honestly, I would love to be proven wrong about this, so if anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would love to hear it.

I have the digital codex, and it just says they act as "completely independently units." While there's nothing saying that have to be deployed at the same time, there's nothing saying that they don't. It also doesn't mention when a RW unit combat squads, as it does for normal combat squads (i.e. at deployment). Does this mean I can keep half of a RW attack unit in reserves and deploy the other half? The rules aren't clear on this, and I think this is something that is going to have to be FAQ'd.

Now, this is my interpretation on how it's written, but I think that the bikes, the attack bike, and the speeder are bought as one, and separate on deployment (where the "completely independent units" part takes effect), using combat squads as a precedent. This would also mean that attack squads with landspeeders still can't outflank. Honestly, I would love to be proven wrong about this, so if anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would love to hear it.

the evidence you seek is in the hard copy codex - as ceilaq notes above, the rule explicitly states that the attack bike and speeder are treated as independent units from the moment of purchase.

Even if that is the case...

The Scout USR rule says if ONE model has this rule, the entire squad has it...

So, in effect you can argue then that Landspeeders have Scout and can outflank.

It also doesn't mention when a RW unit combat squads, as it does for normal combat squads (i.e. at deployment).

Maybe the digital codex is different, but it's totally clear in the printed one:

"... it may break down into two Combat Squads of three Ravenwing Bikers following the rules for Combat Squads (pg 28)"

It inherits everything from the Combat Squads rule except for the numbers which are specified differently.

The Attack Bike and Land Speeder of course, are never considered part of the same unit, except for when they are purchased under the same FOC entry.

You can't - the moment you purchase it, it's separate unit. In other words - it's not part of RAS unit an any point of the game.

You can't - the moment you purchase it, it's separate unit. In other words - it's not part of RAS unit an any point of the game.

I agree with you... this is an answer to the people who say because it has a Landspeeder a RAS cannot outflank.

in 5th everything needed scouts to outflank, so dedicated transports etc, caused a unit to lose outflank.

in 6th just one model needs scouts for the unit to outflank.

It is a complete change in the way the USR's work. You really need to check each USR in the BGB...

Scout, Skilled Rider, Hit & Run are but a few that change this way...

in 5th everything needed scouts to outflank, so dedicated transports etc, caused a unit to lose outflank.

in 6th just one model needs scouts for the unit to outflank.

Which is also known as "now I can outflank my chappy with his mace of redemption if I give him a bike..." :-D

I think I'll finally find a use for this RW command squad (3 bikes with apoc going along with the chappy)

it's not so much the fact that it's not part of the RAS as that you specifically purchase it from a different unit entry that doesn't have Scouts, or at least, it's a combination of those two things.

Ok, so I dug out my hardback, and it does indeed say at purchase. I found where my digital codex says it too. I'm glad this turned out to be a non-issue. Thanks for setting me straight!

Could you let me know on which page it says "at purchase" in the digital codex, please? I've looked and looked and I can't find that phrase!

EDIT - No panic, just found it! wallbash.gif

It's hidden well, right? You can almost not blame me for making the mistake.

Certainly is! They should give out a special prize to the first person to spot it.....like a golden ticket to Wonka's factory or something! It's a bit ridiculous that the full description is not linked to the army list page wallbash.gif

Archived